News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_beene

Re: Golfing highlight of 2018
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2018, 08:41:19 PM »
Starting the process (14 lessons in) of developing a golf swing I understand and can fix. Golf is fun again.

MLevesque

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2018, 09:52:26 PM »
A foggy morning on Eastward Ho! all to myself and a brutal ego busting 5+ hour glorious adventure on Bethpage Black.
I am Skew!

Lou_Duran

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2018, 10:32:30 PM »
Starting the process (14 lessons in) of developing a golf swing I understand and can fix. Golf is fun again.

Well, I hope it goes better for you than it did for me.  Your teacher is not a guy with the first and last name initials J.R., right?

I was looking for more consistency 20+ years ago when I was a 2, sometimes a little lower, and sneaky long.  13 lessons and regular practice over a 12-month period made me into a 4, with periods when I couldn't break 80.  I lost so much distance that some of my friends thought I was seriously ill.  It has been a struggle ever since.

My highlight this year architecture-wise was finally playing Royal County Down and R. Portrush in decent weather.  R. Dornoch also made a huge impression, as did Brora, Golspie, and Cruden Bay (N. Berwick is always a gas).  My most pleasant surprise was Jeff Brauer's The Quarry at Giant's Ridge, even in poor condition following a terrible winter and early spring.

It has not been a good playing year, but I did find an excellent club fitter last month who gave me a good swing change to work on.  I am going back to see him after the PGA merchandise show and look forward to 2019 with a bit of hope. 

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2018, 10:43:37 PM »
For me, it was without a doubt the chance to take two of my boys to Nebraska in July for a weekend of golf.  I was a bit nervous taking the younger son on the trip...at the time, golf was his third favorite sport behind football and baseball, but he did fine...in fact, he played really well.  That weekend was the point where I officially crossed the line as being the shortest hitter in the family.  As others who have been in that spot know, it's a point of no return.  I was a happy dad.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

SL_Solow

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2018, 11:32:36 PM »
A lot of good things but the highlights were obvious.  I had never made a hole in one; more than 15 eagles from the fairway.  After more than 50 years of playing I made 2.  In May, a 4 hybrid from 183 on # 8 at Briarwood.  Then in August on #3 at Beverly I hit a driver from 235 into a breeze.  To top it off, I was playing with, among others, my friend Mike Small, the golf coach at the University of Illinois.  So it was a pretty special year

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2018, 01:17:46 AM »
A lot of good things but the highlights were obvious.  I had never made a hole in one; more than 15 eagles from the fairway.  After more than 50 years of playing I made 2.  In May, a 4 hybrid from 183 on # 8 at Briarwood.  Then in August on #3 at Beverly I hit a driver from 235 into a breeze.  To top it off, I was playing with, among others, my friend Mike Small, the golf coach at the University of Illinois.  So it was a pretty special year

Congratulations!  Hope you were able to see both.  I have two, also, and I saw neither.  The first was into a late afternoon sun at the Alisal course (but great that I was playing with my three boys) and the second was on a 225 yd hole at Tilden Park in Berkeley - too far for my eyes to follow.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

mike_beene

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2018, 11:49:33 PM »
Lou,
Not J.R. (Although many years ago I spent a few days with John Redman). I am seeing still sometimes tour player who relearned the game and I think will end up being the best in the world if he pursues teaching. I don't know that he wants his name out there but
I would be happy to tell you privately. (Or anyone else confused by the game) I am his worst example.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2018, 01:25:54 AM »

Wow congrats Shelly!  I have never had one myself, so perhaps when it finally rains it will pour.   ;D
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Steve Wilson

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2018, 02:08:21 AM »
My highlight was organizing the BUDA introducing a group of GCAers to Golspie and having them love it even though they had to play it in probably the worst of possible winds. 

A hat tip to David Tepper for thanking me in this thread and reminding me of gratifying the experience was.

Thanks to everyone who attended.  It was a pleasure. 

I've gained so much from this site and the people I've met through this forum I've always wanted an opportunity to give back.  Since I don't have any prestigious clubs on my side of the pond I thought my best hope was to host a BUDA.   
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 02:09:57 AM by Steve Wilson »
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2018, 08:23:43 AM »
Playing and loving Golspie was one of the highlights of our UK trip this year, but the trip was so good that a few edged out even Golspie:

Seeing the joy my wife felt after scoring her all time best (92) at Castle Stuart the day after Nairn beat her up.

Playing Number 4 at Woking; nothing written about it is overstated.

Spending a couple of hours after our round on a beautiful day on the patio at St. George's Hill with beers in hand while being able to see all the sets of tees.

Being guided around Brora by a Member/Caddie who had probably 40 years experience playing the course.  Great stories and great advice.

It has been a wonderful year.  I am very thankful for our health and the fact that my wife loves the game.

Ira

MCirba

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2018, 11:42:12 AM »
By far the golfing highlight of 2018 for me was sitting in the Philadelphia City Council chamber in June of this year and after an hour and a half of grueling testimony our group was able to gain unanimous approval and the Mayor's signature to lease Cobb's Creek Golf Course to our nonprofit foundation for a term of up to 70 years.

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Ira Fishman

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2018, 11:49:30 AM »
That is one that would be tough to beat. Congrats again.

Ira

MCirba

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2018, 01:30:11 PM »
That is one that would be tough to beat. Congrats again.

Ira

Thanks so much, Ira.   We have a great group pursuing this vision that  is much bigger than just golf.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2018, 02:30:36 PM »
By far the golfing highlight of 2018 for me was sitting in the Philadelphia City Council chamber in June of this year and after an hour and a half of grueling testimony our group was able to gain unanimous approval and the Mayor's signature to lease Cobb's Creek Golf Course to our nonprofit foundation for a term of up to 70 years.

Impressive!  Here is someone who is making golf great again.

Let us know the timetable and I'll be sure to visit.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2018, 03:58:12 PM »
Congrats, Mike! 

We may have a thread winner.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

James Brown

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2018, 07:39:16 PM »
Becoming a member at Royal Dornoch. 

I also had three under par rounds in a row for the first time, on three different courses. 

And I got to take my Dad on a golf trip to the Golden Horseshoe, one of his dream spots. 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2018, 03:56:24 AM »
Being invited to play Royal Dornoch by David Tepper as a follow on to Buda. As a small town boy, I was a bit intimidated by the invite from the big town mogul. ;)

If you know David, you probably know he put me completely at ease during our round as partners at Buda, and later at RD.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2018, 04:43:10 AM »
2018 has been challenging year golf wise, no 18 hole rounds between March (autumn) and 3 weeks ago due to winter and then unexpected major surgery in august keeping me away from playing.

However the last 11 months watching renaissance commence restoration work on our course, seeing up close the work undertaken how small changes can make such an enormous difference
Watching Brian Slawnik work the excavator with the skill of a fine artist, and in his words "work as much as an archaeologist as an architect'
Watching the members fall in love with the work and how the course is changing, watch them play far more golf, watching guests finish their round comment how wonderful the changes are.

This has also reinvigorated my passion for playing and i have been sneaking out onto the course after locking up on a regular basis the last couple of weeks

bring on 2019 as i cannot wait to play more golf, see more changes at the club and see more courses in what looks like being a good year

Chad Anderson (Tennessee)

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2018, 01:39:50 PM »
My highlight on the course was playing Old Memorial in Tampa.  OM was the most hospitable club I have ever been to and I was an unaccompanied guest.  We ended up spending 13 hours there that day and only played 18 holes!

My non-playing highlight was caddying for my 10 year old son.  I love being on the course with him.
Chad Anderson
Executive Director
Tennessee Golf Association
@tngolf

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2018, 02:09:26 PM »

Three rounds in New Zealand, one with Ash at Titirangi (we had the first two cars in the lot), a partial round at Tara Iti with two birdies on ultra-fast greens and a holed out wedge for eagle at Wairikei International.

Starting to plan for Melbourne area, Kings Island and Tasmania in late March.

MCirba

« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2018, 11:01:23 AM »
Thanks for the kind words Steve and Lou.

Here's to an even better 2019 for all of us!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2018, 02:12:33 PM »
2018 has been challenging year golf wise, no 18 hole rounds between March (autumn) and 3 weeks ago due to winter and then unexpected major surgery in august keeping me away from playing.

However the last 11 months watching renaissance commence restoration work on our course, seeing up close the work undertaken how small changes can make such an enormous difference
Watching Brian Slawnik work the excavator with the skill of a fine artist, and in his words "work as much as an archaeologist as an architect'
Watching the members fall in love with the work and how the course is changing, watch them play far more golf, watching guests finish their round comment how wonderful the changes are.

This has also reinvigorated my passion for playing and i have been sneaking out onto the course after locking up on a regular basis the last couple of weeks

bring on 2019 as i cannot wait to play more golf, see more changes at the club and see more courses in what looks like being a good year

Andrew,
Can you post any photos (or even just some of your thoughts!) re the Renaissance work? Be very interested to see where they’ve gone with it.
Merry Xmas and have a very Happy New Year!
Cheers,
M.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Chris Mavros

« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2018, 09:38:08 PM »
The highlight for me was golfing in Bandon with my father, brother-in-law and brother, who I had not seen since he returned from his tour in Afghanistan.  We played from sun up to sun down each day and while the others started to drop as the days wore on, my brother stuck it out with me.  The fog settling on Old Mac as the sun started to set while we could hear the waves crashing the entire time made for a terrifically cool and kind of eerie setting.

Runner up would be playing with my father at my course 9 months later.  He ended up with heart issues that kept him off the course after Bandon and was considering giving up the game, but got his energy back for nine holes this fall, so we were able to get in a couple rounds of nine.  When you think you'll never be able to play with the guy you took up the game with again, and he's also your Dad, getting back on the course with him is a highlight. 

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2018, 01:54:06 AM »
I didn’t get to play a lot of new courses this year but one highlight was seeing Erskine GC while going up and down the Clyde River on the way to Glasgow; sure looked like a fun place to golf your ball. Anyone have any experience there?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2018, 11:39:38 PM »
I was a young newspaper reporter living in Cincinnati from 1997-99. I had been a golfer for all of my life and I knew that some courses were better and more fun to play than others. But I was a GCA novice at best.

Most of my rounds had played played at the semi-private course in my hometown. It was a fine course, but nothing special. Nine holes were built in the 20s and another nine holes were added in the late 60s, meaning it was a bit disjointed.

So living in Cincinnati, I was certainly aware of this place called The Camargo Club and knew that it was so exclusive that I would never played it.
In the years that followed, I learned more about architecture, learned about Raynor, etc. As a result, Camargo became something of my white whale.

I wanted to play because it is cool and it is really good, but I also wanted to play because it would be proof to me about how far I have come in my career - that I got to go back to a town where I lived and play a place I couldn't sniff previously.
This summer, I was finally able to play Camargo. It was great and it lived up to the hype.

It was the easy highlight of my summer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back