News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jerry Kluger

Alfred Dunhill or AT & T?
« on: October 06, 2018, 11:35:20 AM »
I was watching the Alfred Dunhill and it got me to thinking if given the opportunity which Pro - Am I would play in?  It is quite a difficult decision to make but I would probably go to the AT & T as I have never played the courses in that event while I have played the OC as well as Carnoustie.  The only reservation I have is that in Scotland there would be so many more additional courses that I could play and that I would really enjoy.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Alfred Dunhill or AT & T?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 11:50:19 AM »
RIP Danny Gans.

John Emerson

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 11:52:18 AM »
For me, AD all day and twice on sunday
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

BHoover

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 12:02:40 PM »
Dunhill all the time. The coverage is superior too, because there’s much less focus on the “am” event.

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 12:04:50 PM »
If Cypress Point was still in the AT&T rotation, that might tip the scales. ;)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 12:22:00 PM »
I got a kick out of reading the bios of the amateurs playing in the Dunhill this year.

https://www.alfreddunhilllinks.com/players/amateurs/

Buck Wolter

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 01:25:05 PM »
I got a kick out of reading the bios of the amateurs playing in the Dunhill this year.

Leader — Son in law of Wang! This link is a rabbit hole.

Glenn[/size]HUTCHINSUSAPrivate equity investor and co-founder of Silver Lake Partners. Served for two years as special advisor on economic policy in the Clinton Administration. He currently sits on the board of the Federal Reserve in New York, and is Vice-Chairman of the Brookings Institution research body. He is part owner of NBA team Boston Celtics. He is the son-in-law of the actor who played Wang, in the movie Caddyshack. This is his first appearance in the Alfred Dunhill Links.[/color]
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 01:56:21 PM »
Half of the Dunhill field appear to be members of either Leopard Creek, National Golf Links, Deepdale and Queenwood. There’s also at least a dozen private jets parked at Leuchars all week.

A good friend played with Michelson in the AT&T when Mickleson won. He had the honour of playing in the final group on the final day at Pebble, some experience.
Cave Nil Vino

Jeff Schley

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 02:08:03 PM »
Wow some real heavyweights with a plethora of memberships for sure.  Almost every top course in the US counts them as members.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 03:54:08 PM »
The Dunhill has turned into a major - aye, a major snoozefest.
Watching some E-list celebs and ageing ex-sportsmen hack around TOC isn’t my idea of fun.
To cap it all, Piers Morgan. PIERS SODDING MORGAN. That’s me done.
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2018, 04:49:51 PM »
Marty to be fair being there the amateurs don’t really come into it, the pros by and large ignore their partners and it’s as if two separate games are taking place.
Cave Nil Vino

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2018, 06:46:19 PM »
Mark,
Then, in which case, take it back to the old format. A bloody good international pro tourney!
Ah, nostalgia ain’t what it used to be!
 ;D
F.

PS I’ve been to more Dunhills than I care to remember. Even caddied in a couple. Just don’t like where it’s gone.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 07:05:13 PM by Marty Bonnar »
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2018, 07:32:03 PM »
Two words:

Hedge Fund.

Why didn't any of you guys tell me about hedge funds 20 years ago?

Who knew there was such a thing as Hedge Funds, and that a person could 'manage' them?

And just to show you it's not all about me: if you had told me about hedge funds I'd now be a member of Shinnecock and Garden City, and would invite you to play as my guests on occasion -- and also would welcome you all to hang out with me during the Alfred Dunhill.

You could've met Sean Connery....oh, wait, no, you can't -- 'cause you didn't tell me about hedge funds!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 07:34:53 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Tim Leahy

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 08:26:54 PM »
ATT. Weather in Cali + Pebble, Spyglass and MPCC wins every time.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2018, 09:07:59 PM »

Looks like a Bilderberg meeting, other than the actors and musicians.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2018, 05:39:29 AM »
I actually played in the Dunhill about ten years ago, after we finished Sebonack.  (The chairman of Dunhill, Johan Rupert, was the first founding member of Sebonack.). It was all a bit surreal, hanging out with the likes of Herb Kohler, Boris Becker, and Michael Douglas (and his wife!).  Two or three of my clients play in it every year, and think it's a blast.  I'm sure the AT&T is also first class, but for a boy who caddied at St Andrews 25 years earlier, the Dunhill was hard to beat.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2018, 11:36:20 AM »
The Dunhill for the first few years from inception was an excellent event to spectate at.
Three players, usually the best three or very near the best three, from numerous different countries. Three medal-play matches in a group and then a couple of medal-play knockout stages and a final.
No ams or celebs playing with them. Not many spectators so those who went got a very close look at the participants.
Just about perfect made even better as it was TOC as played with persimmon and blades and balata and metal spikes.
Seve, Greg, Nick F and Nick P, Curtis, Bernhard, Woosie etc.
Now...a mess.
Atb

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2018, 11:56:21 AM »
Our own Zac Blair played this year. His twitter feed from the event was inspiring.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back