News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Duncan Cheslett

Eight courses close as Mack Golf goes bust.
« on: October 04, 2018, 08:54:02 AM »
https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/eight-golf-courses-close-across-england-166543

At least two of these courses have a good architectural pedigree. Stanley Park in Blackpool is a MacKenzie and Heaton Park in Manchester has hosted pro tournaments in the (distant) past.

Mack Golf ran municipal courses on behalf of local councils so hopefully new operators will be found. I don't imagine there's a lot of profit in it, though.

Mark_Rowlinson

Re: Eight courses close as Mack Golf goes bust.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 05:47:00 AM »
I don't know all the courses, but Heaton Park has lots of character - you might say too much, with quite a few blind shots over the summits of hills. Not the place to find a party of beginners!

Ellesmere Port is quite good, with plenty of length and generally in better condition than most municipals in the area.

Knight's Grange is not really very good, though it might be better now it has some age. It is quite some years since I went there.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 08:52:03 AM »
Southwood is my local course, only 3 miles from my door. It's not a very good course and I've only played it three times in 13 years of living here. The last time was earlier this summer on a warm Sunday evening. The quality of maintenance reflected the financial difficulties it faced, with fairways mown (infrequently) at a thick semi-rough height and the semi thick enough to lose balls. It was a £12-15 green fee course and it showed. I thought at that time that it would be the last time I played it and so it seems.

I read this thread earlier this morning and have had occasion to drive past the course since. The tee plates and flagsticks have been pulled out, but outwardly all seems normal. Today is a particularly dark and rainy day and I saw a couple of bright golf umbrellas over the bushes, approaching the 18th green. Clearly, a few of the stalwarts are taking the opportunity to get in a final round in the pouring rain before the grass grows too long to putt out on the greens. There's nobody there to collect a green fee, so they have a short window of opportunity before the decay sets in. They may be the last golfers I ever see out there.

It won't take long for Southwood to disappear into the undergrowth and as the course was already scheduled for closure, I doubt another operator will come forward to save it. Justin Rose played it regularly as a kid and had voiced his opposition to the closure. His multi-millions may be the only hope for it, but even the most faithful Southwood regulars hold out little hope of him stepping in with an altruistic rescue package. He's back in town for the British Masters this coming week, so will be interesting to see if he is questioned about it.

Southwood is an unremarkable, ordinary and unkempt public course, whose passing will be mourned by few, but I will miss it, if only for the fact I cycle past it regularly and often pause for a lean on the boundary fence and to watch play for a few moments. We've plenty of parkland and woods around here to walk the dog. Southwood is better served as a golf course for the considerable number who did call it their golfing home and for whom it was an affordable entry level golf course.
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 01:54:25 PM »
Southwood is better served as a golf course for the considerable number who did call it their golfing home and for whom it was an affordable entry level golf course.

I do wonder whether this is the most important point in your post Robin. I also wonder if the private clubs around this area have any figures on how many members started at Southwood or somewhere similar. If sufficient then maybe several of them could form an association to support a restart if only for the potential new members it might create.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 02:31:14 PM »
I doubt that on both fronts Jon. Rushmoor Council want this land so it can tick the box marked 'public amenity space', which will allow it to build more houses elsewhere in the borough. The course lost money and they're not prepared to bank roll it with public funds. The early closure has just accelerated the inevitable.
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 06:01:48 AM »
Robin,

The Southwood situation is interesting and potentially worrying for the fate of other municipal (or even private) courses which otherwise might be thought to be safe from the threat of development.

https://www.rushmoor.gov.uk/southwoodsang

I had never previously heard of a SANG (Suitable Alternative Natural Greenspace). It appears that in order for planning permission to be granted for development on a greenfield site, an alternative site must be found nearby to preserve as a greenspace in perpetuity.

Suburban golf courses would seem to fit the bill perfectly for conversion to public parks in order to facilitate development elsewhere. I can think of many struggling private clubs in the Manchester area which might be vulnerable to being bought out for this purpose, even though the site might not be suitable for development itself.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 06:06:58 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back