News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Clayton

Re: Stop the Ryder Cup
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2018, 06:36:06 PM »

My two cents...take the top six point leaders from this Ryder Cup and say, "Congrats, barring injury or dramatic fall off in play, you are on the next Ryder Cup team." Those six sit out the Presidents Cup which goes to the top ten other guys and two captains picks. That group plays for five spots and you leave one Captains pick for the following year's Ryder Cup.

Bill,

Good in theory maybe but the state government which paid almost 30 million Australian dollars for the right to hold the Presidents Cup at Royal Melbourne wouldn't be paying anything like that is you took out the six American player we all want to see.
As a part of that deal my understanding is you also take the World Cup and I think 13 Americans passed on that before they got to Mat Kuchar and Kyle Stanley.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2018, 03:42:09 AM »

My two cents...take the top six point leaders from this Ryder Cup and say, "Congrats, barring injury or dramatic fall off in play, you are on the next Ryder Cup team." Those six sit out the Presidents Cup which goes to the top ten other guys and two captains picks. That group plays for five spots and you leave one Captains pick for the following year's Ryder Cup.

Interesting idea.  As a former coach myself, I always thought it was tough to build any "team" concept in the several weeks after forming a team.  Thus, I like the longer runway to build the team concept. 

I love Poulter's energy and although Sergio has all time points lead, I would hate to play Poulter more.  The Euro team is just less arrogant and selfish.  The US players, and the environment of glamorizing the individual with endorsements and coaches/PR people/agents/sponsors/consultants etc.  The individual players build their own team of people around them to be successful on the PGA Tour and then come time for Ryder Cup and you are just supposed to change your mindset and be a meek sheep team player?  Probably hasn't worked well based on the track record. 

Again the star power of the US hasn't been able to push them over the hump, and I don't see any reason to think it ever will.  This is a European advantaged event in the near future, until the US can prove otherwise.  Hat's off to them really.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2018, 06:28:59 AM »

As a fan of a team you support the team not the individual and when you play for the team you support you see the team a been bigger than you yourself which is why a player of lesser ability will perform better for a team they support/love than a more talented individual will for a team they do not support.

All the European players made sure they played the course multiple times before the event even if they thought their place was assured because to do so showed their absolute commitment to the team. Almost none of the US players did likewise which kind of shows the lack of commitment.

The US might have had the better players but Europe had the better team which is why Europe won.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2018, 06:52:37 AM »
It's a good thing Europe doesn't play the Rest of the World (

jeffwarne

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2018, 06:58:31 AM »

All the European players made sure they played the course multiple times before the event even if they thought their place was assured because to do so showed their absolute commitment to the team. Almost none of the US players did likewise which kind of shows the lack of commitment.

This is very true and course knowledge. especially in the heat of an event-is key.
Even Sergio in an off year finished 8th this year there in the French Open.
The last two French Open(played at the site) champions(2018,2017) were on the Euro team.
Molinari has finished second there three times.

The US might have had the better players but Europe had the better team which is why Europe won.

This(the US having better CURRENT players) is debatable to me as World ranking is the metric skewed towards the US tour which is not still a bit of an away game, even if they now reside in Orlando. Even on paper I don't see a weak player on the Euro team, other than their Captain's picks(having somewhat off years) who are proven Ryder Cup performers. Two of our Captain's picks were there for career achievements-one on the rebound but still an abysmally bad last 6 years, and the other on the decline and ill fit for a water strewn tight layout-both with proven shite Ryder Cup records.

The third variable is the fact that Europe's players are generally used to crossing the Ocean in their career development and in support of both tours. Even though they may still primarily compete in the US,most play way more events across an ocean than ours ever do-which may in fact hurt their week-to-week performance on both tours (thus hurting their world ranking) but giving them the skills to adapt and play better than their American counterparts (who do it less often)during a week where they had to cope/adjust and compete with jet lag.
In short-they travel better-even if they live in Orlando now.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jeff Schley

« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2018, 08:58:56 AM »

This is undoubtedly true, and has been with rare exception. I respect the heck out of all those guys pulling together.  Be curious to see what happens at Whistling Straits in 2020, however it is advantage Europe until the US can actually prove otherwise.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Dave Doxey

« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2018, 09:13:11 AM »

Ryder Cup is held to generate revenue for the PGA and the European Tour. 

Getting TV audience, on-course spectators, and merchandise sales is the objective.  Who wins or loses isn't important to organizers.  Discussions and debate serve to increase interest (and future revenue).   The losing side always engages in blamestorming.

Furyk had no choice on picking Woods and Mickelson - they were picked to increase ratings & viewership.  The whole captains choice process is there to add interest and publicity.

Revenue is the sole measure of Ryder Cup success.  Based on that, the cup is an amazing success.

Samuel Ryder's vision has long ago been forgotten.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2018, 12:13:20 PM »

Ryder Cup is held to generate revenue for the PGA and the European Tour. 

Getting TV audience, on-course spectators, and merchandise sales is the objective.  Who wins or loses isn't important to organizers.  Discussions and debate serve to increase interest (and future revenue).   The losing side always engages in blamestorming.

Furyk had no choice on picking Woods and Mickelson - they were picked to increase ratings & viewership.  The whole captains choice process is there to add interest and publicity.

Revenue is the sole measure of Ryder Cup success.  Based on that, the cup is an amazing success.

Samuel Ryder's vision has long ago been forgotten.

Dave,

I like your version best of what the Ryder Cup is...despite what everyone thinks it should be or define it otherwise.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back