News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Canary Islands golf?
« on: September 30, 2018, 07:46:27 AM »
My wife has suggested that we get away somewhere a bit warmer in January.  She has suggested the Canary Islands.  I have seen discussion of golf in the Canaries on here and, as a result, have dismissed Abama as a place to play.  The question is, where in the Canaries is worth playing?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 07:53:39 AM by Mark Pearce »
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tom_Doak

Re: Canary Islands golf?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 08:04:28 AM »
I have only been to Tenerife.

The two courses I enjoyed were Buenavista, in the NW corner of the island, and Tecina, which is a day trip by ferry to an adjacent island.  Both are lovely spots and have a few memorable golf holes.

James Bennett

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 09:08:38 PM »
Mark
I visited Tenerife in 2005.  Lovely spot for a 5 hour flight from Leeds.  The volcano and the micro-climates are fascinating (as they are on the big island of Hawaii). The Tourist/ex-pat enclaves are to be avoided. 

I played golf once, in the south and it was OK - nothing memorable.  I saw Abama (the Euro Tour was playing there that day) and the 9th and 10th would make a great black run if snow ever fell.  The cart path down the 9th has switchbacks.

Make sure you hire a car for a day or two and drive around the island, and into the hills/volcano area.  And order some of the small potatoes with salt.
Of course, for a 20 hour flight, you could return down-under for summer.....
James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Sam Andrews

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 04:29:21 AM »
I've played Tenerife's Costa Adeje where the hire clubs come with an extra 6 iron for playing off the waste areas (ground-up lava). It's OK for holiday golf but pricey. Nice restaurant down in the little harbour does good fish. As an island I preferred Lanzarote, the landscape is spectacular, particularly thorough the middle. Ask restaurant advice in places outside of the main tourist areas, the fish they get is fantastic. Didn't play any golf.
He's the hairy handed gent, who ran amok in Kent.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 05:22:20 AM »
A couple of hours west of the Canary Isles are the Azores, where the main island has a highly regarded course laid out by MacKenzie Ross.
Atb

James Bennett

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 07:26:57 AM »
I played at Amarilla - it looks like some holes have been converted to real estate over the last decade.I don't see anything to recommend from my sample of two courses.
The views of Los Gigantes and also the volcano Teide are spectacular. Garachico was a lovely town.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 07:59:35 AM »
Of course, for a 20 hour flight, you could return down-under for summer.....
Not for just one week.  Don't worry, though, negotiations regarding a trip down under are under way and it will happen some time in the next few years.  I won't play quite as much golf, though, as Mrs P will be in attendance.

We have decided upon Gran Canaria.  Any insight on courses there?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 08:10:48 AM »
Was just about to suggest John Jacobs Las Americas:
http://www.golflasamericas.com/en/
Pain-free holiday golf. Unremarkable, obviously, but fun, nonetheless.
But you’re off to Gran Canaria instead. Haven’t played there, but a quick Google Earth overview suggests little to recommend. Check out the bunkering at Anfi Tauro!
 8)
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back