News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Cowden

Iceland
« on: September 28, 2018, 11:59:36 PM »
Thank you Ran.  The photo of golf on the shore outside Reykjavik has put Iceland on my list, for sure.  The club’s website is a treat, and the golf, at midnight or any time, looks lovely and linksy as can be.  Damn.  Any other beauties there one shouldn’t miss?  Cheers.

Thomas Dai

Re: Iceland
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 07:15:26 AM »
Below is the relevant photo - it's of Brautarholt GC. I'll leave commenting on the quality of Icelandic golf to others but one thing is for sure, Iceland is a great country to visit.
atb

Charles Lund

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 08:06:40 PM »
I spent three nights there in June, 2017. 

I was told there are more golf courses per capita than in any country in the world.  While on tours, I saw courses that looked like they had some interesting terrain.  The saying in Iceland is that if you are lost in a forest, stand up, because there are no trees, which would suit golfers who hate trees.

I actually did not play golf.  I could have gone out at 23:00 by taxi from Reykjavik. 

Geologically and culturally, it is an interesting place.  I flew Icelandair twice this year to Ireland, but did not stay over.  I saw some statistic quoted on the flight that 10 percent of the people in Iceland have written a book, which would be about 34,000 people.  Crime is low.  There are 120 people in jail or prison, with quite a few of them bankers.  They went from .6 rate of unemployment to 13 percent in about eight months back in 2007 and 2008 when the financial meltdown occurred.  They developed tourism and used unoccupied housing by renting to tourists.  They have volcanoes, seismic activity, and the island has two techtonic plates separating by a couple of  centimeters a year. They harness geothermal energy for heat.  The place I rented was quite warm.

It is expensive.  Icelanders will say they go to Norway on vacation because it is cheaper.

Gun ownership is regulated.  Many people hunt.  To be licensed, one must continue to pass shooting proficiency tests.  Guns, ammunition, and magazines have to be locked in separate devices.  Gun homicides are virtually non-existent, which probably reflects the effect an overall low crime rate.

Charles Lund

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 08:10:51 PM »
I will be on a cruise next summer that stops 2 days in Reykjavik and was planning to play at least 1 round. Brautarholt is close to town so its a likely stop.
Be the ball

Doug Hodgson

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 09:41:05 PM »
I spent a few days in Iceland on my way back to Canada from Copenhagen some years ago and played at about a half dozen courses, mostly the "big name" ones in the Reykjavik vicinity.  I'm glad I had the chance to visit. The country is uniquely spectacular and the courses are most interesting.  Most of them are very close to the shore and the ocean, lava fields, and rushing streams frequently come into play.  In the summer you can play around the clock. The courses are always busy and I was paired up with locals most of the time. I wouldn't necessarily put Iceland at the top of the list as a golf destination per se, but it's definitely a fascinating place and I would recommend any of the courses I played to any avid golfer who was planning to visit the country.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back