News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Re: Le Golf National - Let's talk setup for the Ryder Cup
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2018, 07:52:30 AM »
Regarding the green speeds, yesterday the French Golf Federation posted on their web site that the greens were being kept to a little over 10 ft. on the stimpmeter, as per the request of the European captain, and judging from what I saw on TV yesterday, they looked to be about that. Apparently, Bjorn thinks that favors his guys. I know all the European team play more on the U.S. Tour, but maybe he figures they learned to play on slower greens so they can adapt better.

They were aiming for 10.5 stimp. There was a bit of a kerfuffle Thursday afternoon as a few of the greens had got a fair bit faster than that, so they took the decision (which stumped everyone I was with) to apply a light feed of straight N on Thursday night, along with some water.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Steve Okula

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2018, 08:40:31 AM »
Water will, in theory, thicken the leaf blades and slow ball roll with increased resistance, ditto for a foliar application of soluble nitrogen. I read a study that showed 30% of N thus applied is immediately absorbed by the plant.

The cool, dry, and windy conditions will tend to increase speeds.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2018, 09:16:55 AM »
Water will, in theory, thicken the leaf blades and slow ball roll with increased resistance, ditto for a foliar application of soluble nitrogen. I read a study that showed 30% of N thus applied is immediately absorbed by the plant.

Yeah, we got the theory (I've been hanging out with greenkeepers all week  :) ) but there was a lot of doubt that it would have any impact overnight (I hadn't heard that 30 per cent thing).
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Steve Okula

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2018, 10:01:34 AM »
The water will probably slow it down a lot more than the N. It would take a pretty good dose of the latter to make an immediate difference on speeds, and I doubt they would dare to put out a ton and risk burns or streaking or some disaster.

Anyway, the small amount of nitrogen they applied will make the greens look a little prettier over the weekend, and it's obvious from this splendiferous venue that the Federation Française de Golf puts a premium on appearances.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2018, 12:15:17 PM »
From the TV, This course looks like Von Hagge borrowed quite a bit from Pete Dye. Was PB on the crew?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2018, 03:19:25 PM »

Yeah, we got the theory (I've been hanging out with greenkeepers all week  :) ) but there was a lot of doubt that it would have any impact overnight (I hadn't heard that 30 per cent thing).

Maybe a little bit of sugared water would do the trick? Of course a slight increase in the height of cut would too though my favourite idea would be applying a liberal amount of golden syrup which would definitely do the trick ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back