News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

Re: Be Honest! Did you think it would happen?
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2018, 03:11:23 PM »
George - I don't know what point JK is trying to make, since it keeps changing all the time. We weren't talking about you or me or JK or even Tom Watson, but about Tiger Woods -- and his brand new very latest TM Phase 1 irons are, by all accounts, exact duplicates of the Mizunos, Titleists, Nikes he's used forever; and he's even gone back to the same driver shaft (10 years old, maybe more?) that he was using when he was winning everything. Reminds me of the story that Tom D re-counts about Ben Crenshaw trying to hit Jack's Macgregor irons, and finding them un-hittable.
Which is to say: there are rules that apply to everyone, except to the likes of Tiger and Jack.
P

John Kavanaugh

Steve Kline

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2018, 03:54:55 PM »
Back at Vanderbilt in the mid '90s, our team played King Cobras. One year the rep came out for a fitting and he had a 5-iron that had "Norman" stamped into the hosel. I tried hitting that 5-iron for a little bit. As a +2 handicap, I could barely get it off the ground. It was the heaviest club (and I mean heavy) with the stiffest shaft I've ever come across.

Also, I don't know if it is still common practice, but our coach (Tour-player for 28 years) said that it wasn't uncommon for guys to not play the irons that they represented. The brand was simply ground off. Probably not as easy to do today unless you are still playing blades.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2018, 03:55:39 PM »
Yes, I thought he would win a tournament again; however,

1. I didn't think it would be a tournament like the Tour Championship

2. NEVER did I think he would be so good again that he'd finish FIRST in SG: Approach for the Tour in a year.

https://twitter.com/PGATOURSMartin/status/1044206134725357568

"Tiger's ranking in Strokes Gained: Approach since 2006.

2018: 1
2017: NR
2016: NR
2015: NR
2014: NR
2013: 1
2012: 1
2011: NR
2010: NR
2009: 1
2008: NR
2007: 1
2006: 1

It takes 50 rounds to be included in the TOUR's statistical rankings."

He's definitely back.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 04:02:16 PM by Matthew Essig »
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Steve Kline

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2018, 04:45:32 PM »
According to Broadie's book, it is strokes gained approach that really sets Tiger apart even though everyone thinks it is his putting.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2018, 05:09:44 PM »
According to Broadie's book, it is strokes gained approach that really sets Tiger apart even though everyone thinks it is his putting.
I agree his iron game sets him apart, but 1A is his ability to actually make the putts under pressure.  Those 5-10 footers are birdies unless you sink the putts.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Ira Fishman

« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2018, 05:17:33 PM »
Tiger is a supremely gifted athlete. However, what sets him apart as is true for all of the truly transcendent golfers, and winners in all sports, are his mind and heart. I believe that Pat Burke made that point vividly in an earlier post.  The data merely are confirmation.  And the equipment always is equal for every generation.

Ira

« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 05:24:56 PM by Ira Fishman »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2018, 05:51:54 PM »
Curious, although not for the sake of comparison purposes with TW, which other sports stars have made significant comebacks in their original or another sport following some form of career threatening incident/accident?

Two that come to mind in golf are -
Ben Hogan following his car accident
Harry Vardon following numerous bouts of tuberculosis

I’m sure there are many others in other sports as well. Two that come to mind are -
Niki Lauda in motor racing
Alex Zanardi in both motor racing and para-Olympic etc.

Tough guys all of them and good luck to them too. Must be quite a few others, both male and female.

Asking out of curiosity (and admiration).

Atb

George Pazin

« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2018, 08:04:42 PM »
Of course, anyone in Pittsburgh can tell you the greatest comeback, when Mario was discovered to have Hodgkins, went through radiation treatment, and came back in the same season to lead the NHL in scoring!

In golf, Erik Compton’s multiple bouts with heart disease and Jarrod Lyle’s successive bouts with cancer are inspiring stories.

Gale Sayers was an impressive comeback story in pro football, until sadly he was hit again. The first injury of course was intertwined with one of the all time great sports movies, Brian’s Song.

Tons of baseball pitchers have followed Tommy John’s lead and come back from Tommy John surgery.

I could bore you with more, let me know. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim Nugent

« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2018, 08:20:09 PM »
I did not think Tiger would bounce back.  I bought into the whole litany of reasons. 

George Pazin used to point out my position was illogical, that we couldn't apply the old standards to a guy who had obliterated standards his entire life.  George was right.

The guys Tiger beat up on in the past didn't fold.  In fact, many played spectacular golf, which sometimes produced victories for them.  More often, though, Tiger prevailed by playing even more spectacular golf.  Bob May, Chris DiMarco and Rocco Mediate are just three examples. 

If Tiger maintains his upward trajectory next year(s), pro golf could get exceptionally interesting. 

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2018, 09:52:56 PM »
Back at Vanderbilt in the mid '90s, our team played King Cobras. One year the rep came out for a fitting and he had a 5-iron that had "Norman" stamped into the hosel. I tried hitting that 5-iron for a little bit. As a +2 handicap, I could barely get it off the ground. It was the heaviest club (and I mean heavy) with the stiffest shaft I've ever come across.

Also, I don't know if it is still common practice, but our coach (Tour-player for 28 years) said that it wasn't uncommon for guys to not play the irons that they represented. The brand was simply ground off. Probably not as easy to do today unless you are still playing blades.

That could have been the Cobra iron that was actually a MacGregor forging based off the 985 Tommy Armour head.  Norman played those in the early 90's.  It was known in the day that he played a "Mac-Cobra" forging.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

George Pazin

« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2018, 04:24:54 PM »
George Pazin used to point out my position was illogical, that we couldn't apply the old standards to a guy who had obliterated standards his entire life.  George was right.

There's something you don't read every day on here. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2018, 01:31:54 PM »

There's something you don't read every day on here. :)

You'll read it today, too!  George was right, and I share the same sentiment re Tiger.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tim Leahy

« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2018, 01:06:56 AM »
All Tiger needed was a new coffee shop waitress in his life. Now he's back.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2018, 10:00:40 AM »
How's the mood in the bandwagon this morning? 

Steve Kline

« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2018, 04:24:13 PM »
How's the mood in the bandwagon this morning?

It's not like he ever tore up the Ryder Cup when he was winning 14 majors.

Let's be honest - Tiger has never really cared about the Ryder Cup. His words may say he does, but his body language on the course during the Ryder Cup says it all. He seems like he would rather be anywhere else.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2018, 11:16:54 PM »
Steve, my sense is we're not seeing indifference on the part of Tiger.  We're seeing helplessness and hopelessness.  Ryder Cup after Ryder Cup, he watches his game fall apart.  He hits shots that are unthinkably bad for him, even as the rest of the year he demolishes everyone in sight.  Virtually every cup he posts a losing record, and hasn't a clue what to do about it. 

I remember after his first RC, Tiger said words to the effect that he was more nervous than at any time in his life.  I think it's because he was/is representing not just himself, but his nation.  Failure there means he fails the US.  And that's exponentially worse than coming in 2nd or even 20th at the Masters. 

It could have been interesting for Furyk to run a kind of boot camp at the course, sometime well before making his captain's picks.  He could see whose game fits the course, whose doesn't, what kind of chemistry gets generated between various players.  Maybe the PGA tour could even arrange a bye week -- no PGA tournament -- to make the scheduling work.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back