News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Petersen

Re: Unsung courses in your state that deserve more exposure
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2018, 02:19:48 PM »
I would champion Trilogy at Vistancia in Arizona.

As you'll know from the name, it is a housing community course, and out on the west side of Phoenix, which is why it probably doesn't get a lot of attention. But it's a good course with a ton of interesting holes and strategic decisions. Always in good shape, not as prone to being overwatered as many of the courses are out here. A rare set of good par 5s that actually asks for good drives and strong second shots, often times even asking you to make decisions on second shots. A couple of risk/reward holes.

It's far from a perfect course, but I always really enjoy a round there.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2018, 02:31:57 PM »
One of the MOST overlooked courses in St. Louis is Westwood C.C.

It was designed by Harold Paddock, Sr.
See this article of his from 1945:
http://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/golfd/article/1945jul24.pdf
Most of his designs are in the northeast of Ohio.

I have not seen the course since Keith Foster did some renovations.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Matthew Essig

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2018, 06:19:13 PM »
I will plug Wine Valley in Walla Walla, WA every opportunity I can, and this seems like another perfect opportunity to do so. It might not be an "unsung" course, but it definitely deserves more exposure. I hear so many people in the Seattle area doing golf trips out to Gamble Sands even though Wine Valley is better in just about every way, including price, conditioning, and design. It only fails in comparison in the views and lodging on site department. How Wine Valley isn't always in the same sentence as Chambers Bay, Gamble Sands, and Gold Mountain for best public courses in the state is beyond me. It's not like the rankings (which I know are a load of BS) aren't trying to tell the average golfer about the course!
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Daryl David

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2018, 07:03:43 PM »
I will plug Wine Valley in Walla Walla, WA every opportunity I can, and this seems like another perfect opportunity to do so. It might not be an "unsung" course, but it definitely deserves more exposure. I hear so many people in the Seattle area doing golf trips out to Gamble Sands even though Wine Valley is better in just about every way, including price, conditioning, and design. It only fails in comparison in the views and lodging on site department. How Wine Valley isn't always in the same sentence as Chambers Bay, Gamble Sands, and Gold Mountain for best public courses in the state is beyond me. It's not like the rankings (which I know are a load of BS) aren't trying to tell the average golfer about the course!

Well stated. I would add that whatever Wine Valley lacks vs GS in the lodging onsite department is more than made up by the fact you are staying in Walla Walla and not stuck in Brewster. Food and wine options in wine country outweigh the 15 minute drive to the course each day. Compare that to staying at Gamble onsite and eating at the Danny Boy 3 meals a day. Game over.

Ben Malach

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2018, 08:39:56 PM »
For Alberta I think that the tiers of less known public golf course go as follows:

Must see:

Wolf Creek- Old

A classic Rod Wittman design that uses the land wonderfully and has all the hallmarks of an old school 80's Pete Dye course.

Wolf Creek - Links

The newer of the two courses but still worth a trip to see. The front 9 is good golf that flows through forest and along the highway. The highlight of the course is the back 9 with some of the best natural bunkering I have seen in Canada. Each of the holes are unique and fun to play. 

Should see if your looking to add a game:

Waterton Lakes Golf Course

A good Stanley Thompson course that has amazing views and solid golf for a fair price. If you want to know more check out the photo tour I did last year.

Picture Butte

A solid 27 hole facility in southern alberta. Two of the 9's are classic Alberta golf which means courses that have great landforms that are smothered and hidden by overplanting. The newest 9 bucks this trend and embraces that rolling foothills contours of the land highlighting the beauty of the prairies. The greens on all 27 holes are solid and worth a putt if your in the region.

Canals at Delacour

A good prairie golf course on the edge of Calgary. The holes are pretty solid and the greens are fun to putt. The reason this is on the list is that it is a great add for the traveling golfer as it is almost right beside the airport.

Black Horse

Honestly this is the coolest course I have seen all year. Its 9 holes about 30 min away from WolF Creek. The golf course is routed around meandering creeks and grazing paddocks for sheep. It has some of the rawest most fun golf holes I have seen in the province and would be a great model for those looking to start a simple good golf course.

Canmore G&C

A classic style golf course with good greens and solid views of the mountains. This is the mountain course to add over Stewart Creek, Sliver Tip and the renovated courses at Kananaskis. As it is more interesting and fun than the courses mentioned above.
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

Phil McDade

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2018, 11:24:14 AM »
Three that come to mind in Wisconsin -- well-regarded courses that fly well under the radar of most golf cognescenti -- are:

-- Big Foot CC, a Bendelow original dating back to 1924, with a funky par of 73 set on some wonderful rolling terrain near Lake Geneva;

-- Pine Hills CC in Sheboygan, which Tom Doak recently touted on his Instagram page, designed by the unknown Harry Smead and dating back to the 1930s. The course plays a large role in the development of Wisconsin as a golf mecca, as it's the course Herb Kohler wanted to buy when his guests at the American Club kept requesting a place to play a game. The club declined to sell, and Kohler embarked on his Blackwolf Run projects, which set off the run of modern-day courses that now dot the state. Under tournament conditions, widely viewed as one of the state's toughest courses.

-- North Shore CC, overlooking Lake Winnebago near Appleton, designed by another relatively unknown architect (Leonard Macomber), with recent work by Doak's Renaissance group.

I'd mention Langford's Spring Valley, near the Illinois border in rural Kenosha Co., but it's widely known here on the GCA board, if not by the broader audience of golfers. Still under-appreciated, and still the best golfing value in the state.

mike_beene

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2018, 12:34:01 AM »
Not sure it is really under the radar, but the "other course" at TPC San Antonio(JW Marriott) is I believe Pete Dye and plays along edge of canyon. It is what Dallas National could have been.

John Ezekowitz

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2018, 07:56:39 AM »
It strikes me that Bass Rocks GC in Gloucester, MA is a course that, were it in the UK, Sean Arble would profile. He would probably say it was 10 very interesting, quirky holes, a couple of very silly holes, and a final four somewhat ruined by a routing change.

There are some threads on it here, but I think it is worthy of a bit more attention. Some of the greens (even the new ones) are quite good.

Tom ORourke

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2018, 10:55:19 AM »
In the Philadelphia area I love Llanerch. Not long enough to be a pro site for men anymore, but it did host the 1958 PGA. The 18th hole is under 300 yards and is a fun finish. I did a US AM qualifier there one year and my group went 4,3,2. I had the 3. Nice diverse holes, you need to move it both ways, and a course that might be Findlay's best work. Under 6,800 from the tips but when you see the players that came out of there, like Buddy Marucci or US AM champ Dorothy Porter, that tells you something about the shots you learn to play there. Unsung and underrated. 

David Davis

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2018, 02:07:32 PM »

Matthew,

Agree with the comment about it being in the same sentence as Gamble Sands and Chambers Bay. My personal opinion having just played it wouldn't be that it's better than the other two but in this case I would agree with our rankings in saying it's a solid 3rd in state.

https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-courses/north-america/usa/washington

I don't look at other in state rankings like GD so not sure what they say.

I'm not sure about the others because I've only played a few of them including Sahalee. Naturally I only was able to see it once on a very hot day during a dry spell but the course was not playing as firm and fast as I would of expected or would of liked to see it.

It was enjoyable for sure and I'd return someday though I wouldn't be willing to make the crazy drive again to get there and I would do that for Gamble Sands.

As for Oregon:

I think Astoria Golf & Country Club deserves more attention given it's probably one of the only actual links courses in the US. Waverly gets a fair bit of attention since the Hanse renovation as it should and I'd say Eugene Country Club deserves a bit more as well.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Ed Homsey

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2018, 05:19:15 PM »
i've often wondered why Thendara Golf Club in New York's Adirondacks doesn't get more attention.  I've always enjoyed the contrast between front and back, including the wild greens on the front nine that is attributed to Ross, and the tight opening holes on the back.

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2018, 11:03:43 AM »
I split time between Washington State and Florida, so I'll offer up my observations on each.

Timuquana Country Club - Jacksonville, FL - Donald Ross 1923 - Granted, it's my home club but when I look at the rankings of best in state there aren't but a few I would place above it, yet it rarely makes any list.

Inglewood Golf Club - Kenmore, WA - A.V. Macan 1919 - It's a classic club and wonderful golf course just outside of Seattle. One of my very favorites and one you'd never tire of playing. As good as it is now, if it were to be fully restored to it's original design together with an aggressive tree management program it would be one of the Northwest's very best.

Others in the same category: Fircrest Country Club - Tacoma, WA. Waverly Country Club, Portland, OR.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2018, 01:47:36 PM »

Matthew,

Agree with the comment about it being in the same sentence as Gamble Sands and Chambers Bay. My personal opinion having just played it wouldn't be that it's better than the other two but in this case I would agree with our rankings in saying it's a solid 3rd in state.

https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-courses/north-america/usa/washington

I don't look at other in state rankings like GD so not sure what they say.

I'm not sure about the others because I've only played a few of them including Sahalee. Naturally I only was able to see it once on a very hot day during a dry spell but the course was not playing as firm and fast as I would of expected or would of liked to see it.

It was enjoyable for sure and I'd return someday though I wouldn't be willing to make the crazy drive again to get there and I would do that for Gamble Sands.

I'm sorry to hear that they had to water the course down in the heat!

I think we will have to agree to disagree on the "It was enjoyable for sure and I'd return someday though I wouldn't be willing to make the crazy drive again to get there and I would do that for Gamble Sands" part. I would say the opposite. It was enjoyable for sure and I'd return someday though I wouldn't be willing to make the crazy drive again to get there, and I would do that for Wine Valley.

Having played both courses at least three times, I can say that Gamble is absolutely incredible the first time you play it; however, when you learn the angles and the lines to take off the tee, the excitement fades with each playing. The greens aren't interesting enough to hold your attention with each play, too. I can't say any of those things about Wine Valley. In fact, the more I play it, the more I want to go back and play it again!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 01:51:24 PM by Matthew Essig »
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Sean_A

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2018, 09:23:15 AM »
How bout the back nine of Huron Hills in Ann Arbor?  Its a T Bendelow early 20s design which is quite sparse architecturally.  The back nine is very good if a bit too tight, but the terrain is excellent and the challenge is bit more than many will expect.  Its cheap as chips to play so worth a go. I used to play an awful lot of twilight golf there back in the day.

Brae Burn is another public I have a lot of time for. Its in Plymouth on 5 Mile...maybe half way between Detroit and Ann Arbor. Another early 20s design...this one by Wilfred Reed.  Some mundane stuff there, but some cool stuff too.  I'd be surprised if its much more than $25, so worth a go. 

Both courses are definitely of the bargain type, so don't expect to be blown away...but you may be pleasantly surprised.

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 09:33:32 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Chris Mavros

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2018, 07:32:36 PM »
In the Philadelphia area, my answer to this was always Jeffersonville, but it is now getting a lot more attention and accolades.  Then it was Cobbs Creek, but it will be receiving a lot of attention soon enough. 

So for public courses, I would say JC Melrose.  A MacKenzie/Maxwell course that favors solid ball striking and strategy over braun, with rippling fairways and all kinds of different angles from tee to green.  The greens are fantastic fun as well.  I think it gets overlooked because of where it is.  It used to be private, then semi-private but I believe now it is completely public.  It can probably use a spruce with conditions, including taking down a good amount of trees.  It's a nice classic that should be included in the names of public courses to play in Philadelphia. 

Ira Fishman

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2018, 07:45:45 AM »
In the Philadelphia area, my answer to this was always Jeffersonville, but it is now getting a lot more attention and accolades.  Then it was Cobbs Creek, but it will be receiving a lot of attention soon enough. 

So for public courses, I would say JC Melrose.  A MacKenzie/Maxwell course that favors solid ball striking and strategy over braun, with rippling fairways and all kinds of different angles from tee to green.  The greens are fantastic fun as well.  I think it gets overlooked because of where it is.  It used to be private, then semi-private but I believe now it is completely public.  It can probably use a spruce with conditions, including taking down a good amount of trees.  It's a nice classic that should be included in the names of public courses to play in Philadelphia.

A wonderful old thread about Melrose.  One of the aspects of golf course architecture that I find most intriguing is how difficult and nuanced it can be to determine the history of a course.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,37410.0.html

Ira

Jason Topp

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2018, 10:27:44 AM »
In the Twin Cities, Stoneridge is an incredibly creative Bobby Weed design.  It gets my vote as the best public course in the state but does not seem to generate the same affection from others.  If you are visiting, I highly recommend throwing it on the itinerary.

https://www.stoneridgegc.com/

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2018, 10:48:23 AM »

Jason,

Played there when in MSP last month.  I agree its creative, and have always liked it.  That said, I had played once before and turned in after 14.  You can keep going to 15, or turn back to the CH.  It is just too hard for me, and when I asked someone else there, they say its not an uncommon reaction.

Of course, I can imagine (but have never heard) of players quitting the Quarry after 16, so maybe its a case of the pot calling the kettle black. LOL. But, as you can tell, I am at the point where I hesitate to recommend really, really hard courses.

Naturally, for MN I would suggest Superior National, well off the map for several years, but now worth playing after a renovation by a brand X architect...….Enger Park in Duluth is also worth a play anytime you are up there.  And, there may be as many unheralded courses in MN as their are lakes.... ;)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jeff_Brauer

Re: Unsung courses in your state that need more exposure
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2018, 10:49:51 AM »
I'll throw my illinois picks.  Forever Kankakee Elks and I really think Beverly CC.

I don't love the course, but Mistwood has been prettied up and added huge amenities and they host the illinois open and others.

How do you feel about Lake Zurich CC, a nine holer, or Nippersink, just north of the border up in WI, both designed by US Open winner James Foulis Jr. and both practically untouched? (Nippersink has had a local shaper do some rework that looks 60's ish)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 11:05:43 AM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jay Revell

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2018, 03:50:14 PM »
If you are ever down in Florida and come near Tallahassee I have a standing invitation to anyone who wants to come see Capital City CC. There is simply nowhere else like it in the state that has the kind of topography we have. The course is routed over large scale rolling hills and is one of Tom Doak's best course for trees( understand the conflict in that statement but it is in the book!). We have massive patriarch live oak trees throughout the course and the holes move through them strategically. The back nine was built in 1914 by H.H. Barker and has some delightfully quirky holes and the front was added by Tillinghast in 1936 with some seriously good holes on it. The course conditions have finally caught up with modern times and it has never looked better. Just last night I walked 9 with my dog Leon as the sun was going down. The dog culture we have is very fun and unique and when considered with the course we enjoy I believe it to be a real treasure in the southeast.  I'd love to share a round with anyone coming through. Tom rates her as a 6 on his scale and think it would be higher now considering condition improvements. I've always said that if she was in a major metro area it would cost 100k to join, but in Tallahassee you can see her for only $50.

Jason Topp

« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2018, 03:53:08 PM »

Jason,

Played there when in MSP last month.  I agree its creative, and have always liked it.  That said, I had played once before and turned in after 14.  You can keep going to 15, or turn back to the CH.  It is just too hard for me, and when I asked someone else there, they say its not an uncommon reaction.

Of course, I can imagine (but have never heard) of players quitting the Quarry after 16, so maybe its a case of the pot calling the kettle black. LOL. But, as you can tell, I am at the point where I hesitate to recommend really, really hard courses.

Naturally, for MN I would suggest Superior National, well off the map for several years, but now worth playing after a renovation by a brand X architect...….Enger Park in Duluth is also worth a play anytime you are up there.  And, there may be as many unheralded courses in MN as their are lakes.... ;)

I need to get back up there.  It has been a few years.

Phil McDade

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2018, 11:50:51 AM »
I'll throw my illinois picks.  Forever Kankakee Elks and I really think Beverly CC.

I don't love the course, but Mistwood has been prettied up and added huge amenities and they host the illinois open and others.

How do you feel about Lake Zurich CC, a nine holer, or Nippersink, just north of the border up in WI, both designed by US Open winner James Foulis Jr. and both practically untouched? (Nippersink has had a local shaper do some rework that looks 60's ish)

Nippersink is a solid Doak 3 -- nothing much of interest, but interesting in one way as it's a relatively (re. routing) un-touched Foulis. One pretty good par 3, a par 5 of interest, and a rollicking closer on 18 over the best terrain, but most of the land is pretty flat and thus few of the holes have much interest, although the green sites and some of the greens have that old-fashioned tilt to them that can make putts tricky. Foulis' Bonnie Brook, in Waukegan near the WI/IL border, is the superior Foulis...a really good muni.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 12:48:48 PM by Phil McDade »

Jeff Schley

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2018, 03:33:35 PM »

Nippersink is a solid Doak 3 -- nothing much of interest, but interesting in one way as it's a relatively (re. routing) un-touched Foulis. One pretty good par 3, a par 5 of interest, and a rollicking closer on 18 over the best terrain, but most of the land is pretty flat and thus few of the holes have much interest, although the green sites and some of the greens have that old-fashioned tilt to them that can make putts tricky. Foulis' Bonnie Brook, in Waukegan near the WI/IL border, is the superior Foulis...a really good muni.
Never played Nippersink, but I'll put it on the list.  Some friends play Bonnie Brook on the way up to Wisconsin each summer alternating with Thunderhawk a RTJ close to it and said it is a nice public course.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2018, 04:04:54 PM »

Never played Nippersink, but I'll put it on the list.  Some friends play Bonnie Brook on the way up to Wisconsin each summer alternating with Thunderhawk a RTJ close to it and said it is a nice public course.

Thunderhawk is pretty cool.  I played there on maybe the windiest day of my golfing life.  I remember hitting a drive about 195 into the wind, then like 400 on the next hole playing downwind.  Another one in northern IL is Pine Meadow in Mundelein.  It sorta feels like a brawny Chicago private layout except it's public.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2018, 06:37:01 PM »

Oregon

already mentioned - Waverley, Astoria, Eugene (all privates)
I'd include Arrowhead and Langdon Farms in the Portland metro area; Juniper and Aspen Lakes in central Oregon; Cedar Bend and Bandon Crossings in SW Oregon; Gearhart NW Oregon.

Arrowhead (Molalla) built in 1962 by owner Kip Kappler., Constant improvement, good new ownership, always experienced it in good conditionship, challenging greens. Recently held Oregon Amateur.

Langdon Farms (Canby) Cupp/Fought 1995. Great owners, always in very good condition. Architects borrowed extensively. 9 and 18 shared green and with large lake. Drawback is when it was built mounds were in vogue. Some bunkers have planking.
12 has a Biarritz green

Juniper (Redmond) Harbottle 2005. Firm and fast. Has hosted a number of USGA qualifiers. Lava intrusions. Scruffy lies if your miss the fairway.

Aspen Lakes (Sisters) Oberdorf 1987.  Housing, but they are not obtrusive. Red crushed lava bunkers.

Cedar Bend (Gold Beach) Zoller 1965. Nine holes, play to different flag on second nine. One small creek runs the length of the course and Zoller makes very good use of it. 4th hole has very different angles of play if you replay.

Bandon Crossings (Bandon) Hixson 2007. Solid inland course south of town. Long transit uphill from 5 to 6. Good greens.

Gearhart (same)  Century old links course, updated in 2000 by William Robinson, still making changes for the better under the consulancy of John Strawn. 6500+. Good hotel and pub. Recently opened a small course near 1G/9T. Good base for playing here and at Astoria. Golf specific exercise room and virtual golf. Has relationship with Carne.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 07:23:02 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back