News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Unsung courses in your state that deserve more exposure
« on: September 21, 2018, 06:03:56 PM »
After my thread on Hawaii and my recollection of Puakea and Kiahuna on Kauai, Makalei on the Big Island, and Kahili on Maui, I thought that every state has some courses that are not well known but have architectural merit. It is hard to have any hidden gems on this site, but maybe there are some unsung courses that deserve more exposure. I am always looking for a new course.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 12:14:28 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John Emerson

Re: Unsung courses in your state that need more exposure
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 07:03:10 PM »
Idle Hour Country club(Ross) in Lexington KY is absolutely superb in all forms and fashions.  It’s the typical old money, sleepy, quiet golf club.  They like that many people don’t know much about it. I have played or seen majority of courses in the state and every time I’m there I fall more in love.  I’ll add Louisville Country club to the list also (Travis)
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Ira Fishman

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 07:23:03 PM »
[size=78%]We agreed on Kahili so let me suggest one not in my State that the great citizens of Maine on this site probably will not agree with: the Bethel Inn. Interesting because it is a combination of six or so really, really old short holes with small pushed up greens and 12 or so modern Cornish holes built in a beautiful White Mountains setting. It is an odd juxtaposition that worked for me on more than one visit. It has been a bit more than five years since our last visit so not sure what condition the course is in.[/size]
[/size]
Ira

Mike_Young

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 08:05:06 PM »
Most golf courses that stand the test of time have the local exposure needed.  99.5 percent of golf does not need exposure outside of the radius that brings it players.  I think local restaurants might be the same.   Unsung is an interesting word when it comes to golf. 
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 08:40:55 PM »
Most golf courses that stand the test of time have the local exposure needed.  99.5 percent of golf does not need exposure outside of the radius that brings it players.  I think local restaurants might be the same.   Unsung is an interesting word when it comes to golf.

True but when we travel we still look for the best local restaurants.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike_Young

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 10:06:33 PM »

Tommy,I agree  BUT you use the word "need more" and they really don't need or depend on exposure beyond their anticipated market.  I don't mean any of this is a deragatory way just commenting...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 07:28:49 AM by Mike_Young »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 10:29:51 PM »
Mr. Young - if Tommy changed his thread title from “need more” to “deserve” would you be on board?

I think your LaGrange, GA course “The Fields” is one of the courses in Georgia that “deserves” more attention.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 10:33:31 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 11:30:51 PM »
Sometimes after I've read a very good thread or about a great golf course or a terrific insight by one of the architects here my mind will turn to some obscure Ontario course I've played and almost unconsciously I'll remember it through this new lens - and it strikes me how remarkable is the number of remarkable golf holes I've played that, remarkably, no one has ever remarked on. It's striking what the game and its fields of play will reveal to you if you have your eyes open and, more importantly, if you're willing to see. And it's striking how (even just discussing) the great fields of play can actually help make you more able and willing to see.
P
The 'bad' courses, for me (even if others praise them) -- they're the ones that don't ask or help you to see in this way: they've given you so much to 'look at' and all of it is  so obvious that you're as inert and unengaged as a shell shocked bystander  -- overstimulating courses for the already overstimulated.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 11:50:40 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 12:06:01 AM »
Colorado:

Frost Creek
Eagle Ranch
(I'd say Riverdale Dunes and CommonGround but they are already GCA darlings, but they are still underappreciated by the locals)
Red Hawk Ridge
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 04:02:09 PM by Tom Bacsanyi »
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Greg Chambers

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 12:58:00 AM »
Colorado:

Frost Creek
Eagle Ranch
(I'd say Riverdale Dunes and CommonGround but they are already GCA darlings, but they are still underappreciated in by the locals)
Red Hawk Ridge

Tom,

Did Frost Creek used to be called Adams Rib?  A Weiskoff? 
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 02:00:12 AM »
Colorado:

Frost Creek
Eagle Ranch
(I'd say Riverdale Dunes and CommonGround but they are already GCA darlings, but they are still underappreciated in by the locals)
Red Hawk Ridge

Tom,

Did Frost Creek used to be called Adams Rib?  A Weiskoff?

Yes, under new ownership.  Weiskopf.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Mike_Young

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2018, 07:35:30 AM »

Tommy,I agree  BUT you use the word "need more" and they really don't need or depend on exposure beyond their anticipated market.  I don't mean any of this is a deragatory way just commenting...
Mr. Whitaker,  ( now that I'm 65 you cal me Mr.?)hmmmmmm....Yes, I think deserve wold be a better word.  I wasn't trying to argue with Tommy but was trying to make a point that most golf in this country cannot afford to be known outside of it's customer radius.  Yet, the course built for resort play or national play have to have that national recognition and that leads to good and bad courses being promoted nationally whle the country has lenty of local places getting by on much smaller budgets and making it work.  That model cannot try for exposure outside of it's market. 
Hope all is well.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2018, 08:01:02 AM »
I'll throw my illinois picks.  Forever Kankakee Elks and I really think Beverly CC.

I don't love the course, but Mistwood has been prettied up and added huge amenities and they host the illinois open and others.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2018, 12:02:47 PM »
Mr. Whitaker,  ( now that I'm 65 you cal me Mr.?)hmmmmmm....Yes, I think deserve wold be a better word.  I wasn't trying to argue with Tommy but was trying to make a point that most golf in this country cannot afford to be known outside of it's customer radius.  Yet, the course built for resort play or national play have to have that national recognition and that leads to good and bad courses being promoted nationally whle the country has lenty of local places getting by on much smaller budgets and making it work.  That model cannot try for exposure outside of it's market. 
Hope all is well.
Strictly out of respect, sir, as you are officially a true senior!

Good luck to the Jackets vs Clemson (not really!).  ;D
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2018, 12:04:31 PM »
I don't know whether others would agree with me but there is a course in Pittsboro, NC called Chapel Ridge that claims to be a Fred Couples design but I haven't been able to determine who did the actual design and I really like it.  It has a great variety of holes with risk/reward par 5s, 2 drivable par 4s for the longer hitters, and a really good group of 4 par 3s.  The course is on some very hilly property and makes the most of it yet it seems to fit very well within the land.  Unfortunately it was built just as the economy was crashing so it has always beens operated on a shoestring as it was supposed to be part of a housing development which never really took off.  If they had a decent maintenance budget and converted the bent grass greens over to Bermuda, it would be really good. Everyone I have taken there was really impressed with the course and the great variety of holes.

Tim Leahy

Re: Unsung courses in your state that deserve more exposure
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2018, 02:23:45 AM »
Yocha Dehe Golf Club on the Cache Creek indian reservation an hour north of Sacramento, CA. Brad Bell design in a beautiful quiet setting with changes in elevation, lakes, creeks and old oaks. Immaculate conditions. Out of the way but worth the trip.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2018, 09:01:20 AM »
I've googled some of the suggested courses. They look well worth playing. When I travel I will sometimes stop at courses I run into along the way and at least look at some of the holes, if I am allowed. If I am alone I might play it. I came across a course in Wyoming, whose name I have forgotten, and played nine. It was great fun. The conditioning was good and the course fascinating. It is fun to stumble onto some unknown course. It is one of the things that makes our game so different from other sports.
St. John of the Cross

V_Halyard

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2018, 02:50:45 PM »

And courses!
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Jon Heise

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2018, 03:18:22 PM »
The new Sage Run and Diamond Springs in Michigan...
I still like Greywalls better.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2018, 03:23:42 PM »
I'll throw out Turf Valley in MD. It has gone through a few iterations but the two courses left are decent. I was a member there in the 70's and loved it. The old North course is gone but is still part of two courses. When I was a kid I saw Palmer, Player, and Mickey wright play there.
St. John of the Cross

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2018, 04:13:02 PM »
Elmhurst is the best golf course in Manitoba, but is always overshadowed by St. Charles and a few others.  It is a really good Ross track over some excellent golf terrain.  The routing changes direction constantly, exposing golfers to the strong prairie breezes from all points on the compass and the greens feature some wonderful contour.

Tyler

Cal Seifert

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2018, 04:40:06 PM »
Southampton after its renovation still does not get the same amount of love as other Raynor's.  Probably due to location.

Conley Hurst

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2018, 05:05:27 PM »
Texarkana CC ought to be known as the best golf course in Arkansas. But it will forever be overshadowed by newer, bolder courses like Alotian, Blessings, and Chenal.

PCCraig

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2018, 12:09:32 PM »
Town & Country Club in St. Paul

The work that Tom Doak & Co. are currently undergoing at Rochester G&CC an hour south looks terrific. That could be quite the golf course once they're done. 

Northland CC - still?
H.P.S.

V_Halyard

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2018, 01:02:58 PM »
Town & Country Club in St. Paul

The work that Tom Doak & Co. are currently undergoing at Rochester G&CC an hour south looks terrific. That could be quite the golf course once they're done. 

Northland CC - still?
I think Northland has a choir now.  ;)
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back