News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gallant

The Anti-Research
« on: August 06, 2018, 04:04:30 PM »
This is the first year where I have started to not do research on a course before I see it. I try to avoid photos of the course on social media and consciously try to keep an open mind. I've found it helps me form more of an individual opinion of a course, and then after the round, I'll try to read more about it to see if my thinking is in line with or contradictory to the norm. The key I suppose is not to be swayed the the consensus once you understand that you really do like that Fazio course  ;)

Does anyone else do this? In the world of GCA.com, blogs, vlogs, drones, twitter and instagram, is this actually the best way to learn about a course...to do nothing and form an individual opinion? Would this lead to more debate, challenge and discussion?

Tom_Doak

Re: The Anti-Research
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 05:23:34 PM »
How do you decide where to go?

I do not look at GCA threads or write-ups of courses, because I want there to be some upside in store when I get there ... I've said here often that I try to hold back "too much information" on my new courses for that very reason.

But I have to do some research to decide what courses I'm going to visit in India ... I use Google Earth for that, because I can see a lot about the course, but it doesn't show me what the holes look like at ground level.

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 06:04:55 PM »
This is the first year where I have started to not do research on a course before I see it. I try to avoid photos of the course on social media and consciously try to keep an open mind. I've found it helps me form more of an individual opinion of a course, and then after the round, I'll try to read more about it to see if my thinking is in line with or contradictory to the norm. The key I suppose is not to be swayed the the consensus once you understand that you really do like that Fazio course  ;)

Does anyone else do this? In the world of GCA.com, blogs, vlogs, drones, twitter and instagram, is this actually the best way to learn about a course...to do nothing and form an individual opinion? Would this lead to more debate, challenge and discussion?

I usually research before playing courses, in a general sense.  When I see a photo tour of a course which looks interesting it is banked for a time when I may be in the area.  Sometimes I will visit an area mainly to see a certain course, but the trip will almost invariably be relatively easy to execute.  I don't recall ever crossing an ocean with a golf course as the main reason for traveling.

Maybe five years ago I redoubled my efforts to really focus on what a course is and what if offers rather then seeing it against a checklist of what I like.  So far it doesn't seem that difficult to ignore what others think, but there is no question that once the photos are seen there is a sense of deja vu at least for some holes.  It has come to my attention that photo tours can offer a false sense of "quality".  I have been duped a few times, however, I don't know a better way to figure out where to play than seeing photos.  It has been many a year since I have been seduced by prose alone and there is no chance I would bother using google earth until after playing a course.  I guess its a good thing that I enjoy returning to courses at least as much as seeing new courses. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 10:24:53 PM »
Just get old. You won't be able to remember what you saw ahead of time, and the course will offer a fresh experience.

;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 11:55:02 PM »
Oops

;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tim Gallant

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 09:18:03 AM »
Just get old. You won't be able to remember what you saw ahead of time, and the course will offer a fresh experience.

;)

Heheheh! Quite right!

Tom, yes I do still read threads/reviews and look towards those on social channels whose opinions I trust to help form a list of courses I would like to see. However, if I am booked to play somewhere, I have been increasingly hesitant to read everything on the course for fear of taking away the surprise. Like Garland says, usually in the time from when I first am intrigued to when I play a course, I have usually forgotten everything but a few general thoughts!

Sean, well said, and I think I try to take a similar approach, or at least have recently. Where we differ slightly is I will travel almost anywhere for the sole purpose to play a golf course :) Call me crazy! Also, maybe I am not as comfortable in my skin, but if I see a course that doesn't match conventional wisdom, my first thought is usually 'I missed something' rather than 'the rest are wrong'. But the more I see, the more I am comfortable about publicly going against the grain.

David Davis

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 02:26:38 PM »
Tim,

So is this your nice way of telling me you're not looking at any of my Instagram and Facebook golf tour posts?  :-\

Bubble bursted...

Actually I have also always done the same thing with my travels to a certain extent. Granted I a couple years ago I started using lists to get me pointed in the right direction but not with the intention of showing up playing one course and catching a flight for another. I always tried to pick what was next and then use that to dictate which areas I was going to hit and then try to find out what was of interest in and around that area and try to see as many as time would allow.

Then after I go back and start reading, looking at my own photos and seeing all the cool things I missed out on and opinions I don't agree with.

If like Tom I was going to a place like India then I would do research to try and find out if there was anything of interest. I'm been bringing my clubs everywhere for quite a few years now but I can imagine quite a few destinations where I'm not sure I'd bother.

For example, with few exceptions, Germany is one of them.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Tim Gallant

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 04:24:39 PM »
Tim,

So is this your nice way of telling me you're not looking at any of my Instagram and Facebook golf tour posts?  :-\

Bubble bursted...

Don't worry David, I always enjoy your Instagram photos!!  ;D

Exactly like you, I do like to see photos / read articles, descriptions and books to help narrow down where I think i'd like to play. But once the round is booked, I have started to try to forget everything and show up with a fresh mind. Case in point, I've seen a ton of photos of Tobacco Road or Pinehurst and I've read reviews /write-ups on both, either through the confidential guides, architecture books or online blogs, so I know I'd love to see them. But if I were to book tomorrow, I would do almost no research ahead of time to see specifically what Stranz had in mind for certain holes or what C&C tried to restore at #2. I'd like to go in with a fresh mind and see what I can discover.

Michael Wolf

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 04:58:57 PM »
I certainly think I learn more and remember more about a course if I try to figure it out myself the first time around vs relying on a caddy or playing companion. Especially if I remember to buy a yardage book before I tee off.

But i always research courses before I take a golf trip. Half the fun for me of a first trip to a new region is in the planning.

So i guess i rely on others for "why" and on myself for "how"

MW

PS - Any rain yet Tim? or still hard and fast?

Tim Gallant

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 06:05:48 PM »
I certainly think I learn more and remember more about a course if I try to figure it out myself the first time around vs relying on a caddy or playing companion. Especially if I remember to buy a yardage book before I tee off.

But i always research courses before I take a golf trip. Half the fun for me of a first trip to a new region is in the planning.

So i guess i rely on others for "why" and on myself for "how"

MW

PS - Any rain yet Tim? or still hard and fast?

Michael,

Well said! Yes, the rain has returned most courses in East Lothian to a normal shade of green for the summer, but the rough is still fairly wispy. All that being said, the courses I've seen are retaining their firmness.

Mark_Fine

Re: The Anti-Research New
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 09:05:06 PM »
Tim,
Take the opposite approach and learn all you can and read all about diverse opinions, design history, ..., etc.  Who cares if your opinion after you've experienced the course for yourself is the same or different than what others think?  Are you just trying to see if you come up with the same Doak scale score as Tom did or as the consensus concluded?  Good thing you aren't a course rater because we have too many who just follow the crowd and get biased by others opinions.  They sadly can't decide on their own what they really think about a golf course. 

One example I will share is Rich Harvest Farms.  I couldn't wait to see the golf course because I had read so much about it and it got such high praise, etc.  When I finally got there, I thought Mr. Rich's car collection was a 13 - ITS OFF THE CHARTS!  However, the golf course was a 5 in my opinion and I explained very clearly why in my write up.  I think a lot has changed since I saw it (thank goodness) but my opinion at the time remained my opinion. 

You should look at things the through your own eyes and make your own judgment.  At the same time, you can learn from others but it shouldn't bias you and it doesn't always mean others are right. 

Good luck!
Mark
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 09:17:40 PM by Mark_Fine »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back