News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Re: Stoatin Brae profile now posted under Courses by Country
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2019, 11:54:39 AM »
But whichever way you look at it a Lowlands word rather than a Highlands one!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Niall C

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2019, 12:52:30 PM »
There was another thread where the name got much discussion. I hesitate to guess what the etymology of each word is but growing up in the Scottish lowlands I can say that brae usually meant a road down a steep slope and not just the slope itself such that many roads were referred to names such as Bogs Brae or the Electric Brae. I'm not aware of there being any need for there to be water at the bottom of the brae as suggested by Wikipedia but then water generally gathers at the bottom of a slope.

Stoatin is probably more of a slang word as Brian suggests but not sure whether it is just confined to the Glasgow area or used further afield in Scotland. I suspect the latter. Either way, where I'm from it can mean great, as in very very good, but not great in a reference to scale ie. very very large. Stoatin can also mean hitting, or more commonly "stoat" or "stoated" for hit.

That said, what a bloody awful name for a course. I cringe whenever I tread the name and unreasonable as it sounds, I think I'd avoid playing the course just because of the name and irrespective of how good it is.

Niall

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2019, 01:08:14 PM »
Ran,

Just saw this thread. Totally agree with your comment about the 11th hole. Great picture to back up and document your point. There should be more greens like this.
Tim Weiman

JLahrman

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2019, 09:24:43 PM »

Well if you guys want to boycott a course because of its name then you're more principled than I am, but you'll miss a fun one IMHO. But don't worry, there are five other course at the resort to try out instead. The greens were a real highlight, all of them were fun to putt. There are some other courses in the Grand Rapids area that I'd like to try, but I might just head back to this course again next year.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2019, 02:53:40 AM »
Stoatin can also mean hitting, or more commonly "stoat" or "stoated" for hit.

I would have said that is Stotted (as in a Glasgow Kiss)

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2019, 06:49:14 AM »
Now Niall as a transplanted Scot I would go out of my way to play a golf course with such an inglorious name!!

And as far as I am aware "stoatin'" does translate to "great" as in fine and "brae" generally refers to a road down a steep hill. Just my tanners worth!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2019, 07:53:59 AM »
Which courses were the first to be given names that had nothing to do with the location they were built?

How much better would Trump International Scotland be if it was just called Balmedie Golf Club?

An ostentatious name makes you predisposed to thinking the course is also ostentatious.

JLahrman

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2019, 08:42:24 AM »
An ostentatious name makes you predisposed to thinking the course is also ostentatious.

Right, but then you could...you know, play the course to actually find out. Before I played Purgatory Golf Club, with its Hades theme and excessively long back tees, I was predisposed to think the course was gimmicky. Glad I played it to find out I was wrong (except for the 17th hole).

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2019, 08:50:06 AM »

Right, but then you could...you know, play the course to actually find out. Before I played Purgatory Golf Club, with its Hades theme and excessively long back tees, I was predisposed to think the course was gimmicky. Glad I played it to find out I was wrong (except for the 17th hole).

Oh yes, I don’t deny that. It is perception: There is - or at least should not be - any direct correlation.

But then again, simplicity in presentation often brings with it the things I like in a course also.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back