News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Franklin

Lake Tahoe
« on: June 27, 2018, 02:30:48 PM »
Besides Clear Creek, what are the best golf options for Lake Tahoe? I am playing Old Greenwood already (don't know if it is any good), but it is a company sponsored event. We are staying at Four Seasons. Not sure what is close to that.
Thanks
Mr Hurricane

Brad Tufts

Re: Lake Tahoe
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 03:20:40 PM »

Hi Jim,

Martis Camp is one of the best Fazio courses I've played...it's in the same area as Old Greenwood.  I believe Lahontan and the former Timilick are on the same road (across from the Truckee airport) as MC.

Other than that, the Incline Village course is an RTJ with updates by Kyle Phillips in the mid 2000s...I haven't played any of these besides MC.

I've heard Coyote Moon is decent...and the first iteration (1934-1935) of the Crosby started at Old Brockway, a 9-holer in King's Beach...the website says designed by John Duncan Dunn...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Jim Franklin

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 03:25:49 PM »
Thanks. I guess Four Seasons is in North Tahoe. How far is South Tahoe from North?
Mr Hurricane

Brad Tufts

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 03:34:14 PM »

I think about an hour? 

I've never done the full lap around the lake...I'm there only one day per year, generally the I580/431/28/267/I80 loop.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Mark Kiely

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 03:45:45 PM »
My buddy just got back from a trip where he played 15+ courses in the Tahoe/Reno area. He's currently in the midst of posting recaps/reviews/photos on his blog:
https://bogeysacrossamerica.com

My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 03:54:39 PM »
Jim,

Been there several times.  Doing a lap around the lake never gets old, even if it takes a couple of hours....just gorgeous.

I've also heard good things about Coyote Moon, but never played it...

Brad Payne

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 04:02:05 PM »
Hey Jim,

I've played Coyote Moon and really enjoyed it.  While not a great GCA course in the strictest sense, it's a ton of fun to play.  Lot's of elevated tee shots and generous fairways and the views are gorgeous.  It's a fun course to play at altitude since you can try and hit a bunch of big drives.  I also like Old Greenwood.  Much flatter and a tamer Nicklaus design. 

Edgewood where they play the celebrity event is about 45 minutes south and is also fun with the closing holes on the lake.  If driving time is an issue, then playing OG and CM on the north side should be plenty satisfying.  Obviously, Martis Camp would be great to add, but it's very private.  I'll be up there in a few weeks, but sadly not playing golf this trip.

-Brad
Founder and CEO, Walker Trolleys
We are creating the most beautiful, high-end golf push cart for the player, purist, aficionado that appreciates style, form and functionality and chooses to walk the game.
https://www.walkertrolleys.com

David Wuthrich

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 04:27:17 PM »
Play Martis Camp

DFarron

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 08:23:30 PM »
Clear Creek is awesome, a must play. Lahontan and Martis are very good but you'll need a good hook up there....

E P Purmort

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 08:55:04 PM »
Clear Creek is awesome, a must play. Lahontan and Martis are very good but you'll need a good hook up there....

I'll be out there in a few weeks with my family of golfers. How tough is Clear Creek to get on?

We have Coyote Moon and Old Greenwood lined up already.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 09:33:53 PM »
Play Martis Camp

Martis Camp and Clear Creek are a step above everything with Martis getting my vote. It's probably the best Fazio I have played. The back 9 is superb. Call Gus Jones the head pro. They use to be panelist friendly.

Coyote Moon is interesting. One of the few courses up there that doesn't have housing. The 12th is one of the best par 5s in Northern California.

Lahontan is a Weiskopf that doesn't work. Has artificial lakes which weaves through a high end housing community. Great clubhouse.

Old Greenwood is a typical Nicklaus housing community with some terrible shaping and bad bunkering.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 12:09:07 AM »
Jim, Martis Camp is the pick of the litter. I did enjoy Edgewood Tahoe. I didn't think I'd like it but it was fun. Some pretty tight holes, however.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 08:48:38 AM »
10 rounds in Lake Tahoe

8 at Clear Creek
1 at Martis Camp
1 at Coyote Moon
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Jim Franklin

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 09:19:10 AM »
Thanks for the insight. I have played Clear Creek and Martis Camp and liked both but give the nod to CC. I have not played Coyote Moon so I think I will add that one.
Mr Hurricane

Kyle Casella

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 10:54:54 AM »
It's very narrow but the 9 hole at Old Brockway in Kings Beach is a fun place on the North Shore. I've never dug into it, but it looks like at least one of the holes used to play right up against lakeside sand dunes (https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/news/old-brockway-golf-course-set-for-earliest-opening-in-91-year-history/). No longer, but still great for a quick nine.

Montreux, on the Reno side of Mt. Rose, is the host of the Barracuda Championship and one of the better Nicklaus courses I've played.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2018, 03:57:02 PM »
It's very narrow but the 9 hole at Old Brockway in Kings Beach is a fun place on the North Shore. I've never dug into it, but it looks like at least one of the holes used to play right up against lakeside sand dunes (https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/news/old-brockway-golf-course-set-for-earliest-opening-in-91-year-history/). No longer, but still great for a quick nine.

Montreux, on the Reno side of Mt. Rose, is the host of the Barracuda Championship and one of the better Nicklaus courses I've played.

Old Brockway is a cool place.  A bit tight for today's game and some greens are a bit too small.  But there is some architecture to maneuver around.  Little known no doubt to environmentalists in Tahoe is that the course has the right to use lake water for the course in perpetuity.  Since the water is so clear you can actually go out on the sand and see the intake.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Kalen Braley

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2018, 05:00:32 PM »
Lynn certainly brings up a good point.

Be sure to enjoy the water activities on your corporate junket...errr outing!   ;D   Amazing place to enjoy a good swim or other stuff...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back