News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Etiquette Question
« on: June 27, 2018, 09:45:03 AM »
We are making our first visit to the Highlands and the Heathlands.  In addition to adhering to the course's policy regarding attire and to playing fast (which we do anyway), are there any other etiquette practices of which we should be mindful so that we are viewed as welcome quests?  One that comes to mind is the policy for gratuities for caddies.

Many thanks,

Ira

Pete Lavallee

Re: Etiquette Question
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 11:33:10 AM »
Never change your shoes in the car park; strictly taboo!!!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 11:39:12 AM »
It is a myth that caddies are offended by over tipping.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 11:42:00 AM »
Never change your shoes in the car park; strictly taboo!!!

Nobody really cares, except at very posh clubs.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 12:27:59 PM »
"Never change your shoes in the car park; strictly taboo!!!"

Certainly not taboo at any of the courses in the Highlands I have visited.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 12:31:43 PM by David_Tepper »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 01:10:12 PM »
Many years ago I read of someone who brought cartons of cigarettes and used them for caddie fees.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 02:02:37 PM »
Where is Huntley when we need him.....?

1.  NO head gear in the clubhouse, including toupees.
2.  Jacket and tie for the posh places (Muirfield, Troon, Prestwick, etc.)
3.  Change shoes in the car park.
4.  Do NOT change shoes in the car park if at per 2. above
5.  Tip and offer to buy a drink for the caddie (not in 2. clubs where they are not allowed)\
6.  If you play with a local, he (or she) will buy you a drink which means you reciprocate and have 2 drinks, or 4 drinks if you have a 4-ball.
7.  If it is a 4-ball take a taxi home to your B&B/Hotel.
8.  Move your ball without taking a penalty stroke a your peril.
9.  Always take a club or two more than you think you need, particularly if you have a caddie.
10.  If your caddie and/or playing partners are Scottish, just nod and smile when they same something to you that you do not have a clue as to what was said.

rfg
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 02:18:44 PM »
There are no policies for tipping caddies. At St Andrews the caddie fee is £50 and the suggested tip is £20. If I get £70 I’m satisfied, delighted to get more but never disappointed if I don’t.
Cave Nil Vino

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 03:57:06 PM »
Watch the Robin Williams video for an idea of how to understand the caddies. Let them know you are not offended by off color jokes, you will hear some classics. Have a beer with them afterward, a real slice of life.

Smile and enjoy, it's a trip over there.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Daryl David

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 04:12:36 PM »
Don’t take practice swings on the tee box. Especially if you might take a divot. I asked a member at Muirfield what he thought of Americans taking lots of practice swings on the tee. He said it was similar to peeing in the hood of someone’s car.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 04:26:08 PM »
A few other ones:

1)  Be sure to wear your biggest fanny pack!
2)  Make sure your outfit is loud and full of logos.
3)  Insist on taking a cart.
4)  Be sure to take 15 minutes to get a bite at the turn.
5)  Double and triple check your yardage before every swing.
6)  Make sure the cell phone is turned up all the way, don't want to miss those calls from home checking up on you.

You're American, gawd damnit, be sure to act like one!!

Did I miss anything?

SL_Solow

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 04:44:59 PM »
Kalen,
           Bemoan the lack of trees and ask for a stimpmeter reading on the greens.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 04:54:56 PM »
I should have known better that to ask this crowd a somewhat serious question.  But I have enjoyed all of the responses, particularly those that reinforce the importance of being ready to drink (my handicap is much better at that sport).

One unusual thing I did notice is that Golspie has no real dress code.  I am not sure that I have played golf in blue jeans since muni days as a kid, but I may have to give it a go.

Ira

Thomas Dai

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 05:09:21 PM »
Always play with brand new ProV1’s. The locals love finding them in the rough after you’ve given up looking for them! :)
Have a great trip.
Atb

Ira Fishman

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 05:12:32 PM »
Always play with brand new ProV1’s. The locals love finding them in the rough after you’ve given up looking for them! :)
Have a great trip.
Atb

LOL. Super Softs are in the bag so sorry to disappoint.  And thanks!

Ira

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2018, 05:53:22 PM »
Kalen,
           Bemoan the lack of trees and ask for a stimpmeter reading on the greens.

Ahh yes, duly noted.  A few more:

Ask why the accommodations are so pathetic and small, and why they can't build a decent Regional/National highway system...  ;D

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2018, 06:28:26 PM »
Watch the Robin Williams video for an idea of how to understand the caddies. Let them know you are not offended by off color jokes, you will hear some classics. Have a beer with them afterward, a real slice of life.

Do not be afraid to inform your caddie that you are there to play golf. You've heard his old jokes before. Tell him to relax and enjoy the day. He is just another guy like you earning a living, not your personal clown.

SL_Solow

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2018, 06:51:17 PM »
Kalen,  a highway system would take you off the Whiskey Trail

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2018, 07:14:17 PM »
Absolutely correct JK!

There is a fine line that must be walked; deference, no sycophantic fawning to these Lords of The Links. If you, as the golfer, suggest a particular club should be used do not be offended when said caddy asks how many times you intend to hit it.
Caddies are sensitive petals whose ego should be smoothed, soothed and not bruised.
As to their brogue; an attentive ear by the golfer will in most cases display genuine interest but be of no use in interpretation so nod sagely and look quizzical in equal proportions and no rift in the relationship should appear.
Self-deprecating and self-denigrating remarks by the golfer are invariably met with complete and honest agreement by the caddy and are much appreciated by this urchin mob of ne'er-do-wells.
As to tipping I, myself, have never been tipped a brass razoo so have no idea how much is too little!

God bless 'em all!

Cheers Col
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2018, 07:29:30 PM »
I think if you avoid any type of jeans and collarless T-shirt, you are OK on any UK course, even the poshest.

I would strongly recommend that when you have a pitch from anything like 40-50 yards to the flag, do not under any circumstances, walk to the edge of the green and back to your ball. If you're playing with locals, that will really piss them off.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2018, 02:07:07 AM »
Be polite, play with the locals if you can and enjoy the golf. It is why we play the game :)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2018, 06:43:06 AM »
Have a great trip.
Atb

I once played with a policeman who lived near Wentworth, where he walked his dog.  He’d raised over £10 000 for charity reselling ‘once hit’ balls he collected from the right rough, of the first 3 holes. He said he was always disappointed if they weren’t ProV1’s
Let's make GCA grate again!

James Brown

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2018, 08:07:06 AM »
I’m surprised nobody has mentioned this one yet:  Umbrellas are for chumps.  Rainsuit. 

Also, dont bring your heavy cart bag.  Absolutely need a light bag. 

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 10:30:02 AM »

Do not be afraid to inform your caddie that you are there to play golf. You've heard his old jokes before. Tell him to relax and enjoy the day. He is just another guy like you earning a living, not your personal clown.

I guess I miscommunicated my intention, the group was the butt of the jokes told by the caddies. Their take on three jacking I still use.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2018, 10:41:50 AM »
Ed,

My point was to not let the caddie distract from what most likely will be a lifelong golfing memory. There is little reason why two adults can not come to a non verbal understanding of what constitutes a great day after the first green. I can't imagine anything worse than suffering through a bad Robin Williams imitation for four hours.  In other words, don't enable an idiot under the guise of politeness.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back