News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nigel Islam

Re: Clubs where the quality disparity is less than some might think
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2018, 01:46:24 PM »
The Donald Ross course at French Lick versus The Pete Dye Course. I like the Dye course, but I just think the Ross Course is better. It’s a legimate candidate for the best course in Indiana.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2018, 10:33:16 PM »
The Donald Ross course at French Lick versus The Pete Dye Course. I like the Dye course, but I just think the Ross Course is better. It’s a legimate candidate for the best course in Indiana.

I know it's gotten the publicity because it's the newer course, but is the Dye course really generally considered that much better than the Ross? I would have thought it was easily seen as the other way around, the Ross course is just too fantastic.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2018, 09:09:52 AM »
Firestone North has its adherents relative to its more famous southerly neighbor.

The delta at firestone is definitely tinny.  South isn't great. I think the front nine on the west is the best 9.

James Reader

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2018, 12:46:40 PM »
The Old and the Glashedy at Ballyliffin come to mind as do the OTM/Strand and Sandy Hills at Rosapenna. And as has been said above the Cashen at Ballybunion is much better than some are inclined to suggest. And as a surprise, the Annesley at RCD is a blast. Formby and Formby Ladies too.
What about the second course at Trumpberry? I’ve not played it. What do those who have make of it?
And then what about places like The Berkshire, Woburn, Enville, Minchinhampton?
Atb

The Arran course I think it is at Turnberry is okay, but on a far smaller scale than the Ailsa. It's fun to play, but I wouldn't go out of my way to play it. I would go out of my way to play the Ailsa.

Has anyone played the second course at Turnberry since it was rebuilt?  As I understand it (but i might be wrong) the new King Robert the Bruce course is very different to the old Arran, albeit on the same land.

Jim Lipstate

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2018, 12:52:30 PM »
Spanish Bay is overshadowed by Pebble Beach with criticisms that it is not a true links and has some inland holes but I have always enjoyed playing the course. I find it no more manufactured than other faux links courses such as Whistling Straits.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2018, 01:48:54 PM »
Gog Magog - has two courses the Old and the Wandlebury (which is longer and built to modern standards) Robin - did you work on this and never been back since then?? The Old has more interesting and challenging greens compared to the Wandlebury flatter greens.

Both courses have held national events - the Old is the host for the annual Lagonda Trophy and the Wandlebury has been used for Open local qualifying. They are quality courses in their own regard.

Celtic Manor and the Belfry are another however I will not go any further about them  ;D

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2018, 06:45:08 AM »
Gog Magog - has two courses the Old and the Wandlebury (which is longer and built to modern standards) Robin - did you work on this and never been back since then??

It's partially true Ben. The Wandlebury was a Hawtree project in the mid 90's when I worked there. The architect of record is Guy Hockley, who did the great majority of it. I know the par 3 5th is one of mine and i think there is one other out there that i detailed, but i can't remember which. I remember doing one site visit on a blazing hot Friday in the summer of '94. Later on I drove down to my brother's house in Herne Bay and stopped off for 18 at Chart Hills on the way. It was still blazing and I went out without eating or drinking anywhere near enough. The day ended with me nearly dying of heatstroke in the clubhouse at Chart Hills! It's funny how certain days stay in your memory, whilst entire years can drift off over the horizon.
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back