News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Hodgson

At which multi-course facilities are there courses underrated by the general golfing public due to a highly rated or famous principal course?  This is probably true of many facilities that host important professional tournaments.  At Royal Montreal the Red course is definitely overshadowed by the Blue, as has been mentioned in some other threads.  Many members prefer the Red, which has an interesting and varied collection of Dick Wilson green complexes (although unfortunately the course doesn't receive the attention from the club that it deserves and is getting so smothered by excess tree growth that many of the green complexes are now surrounded by muddy hardpan). 

Although I will leave it to others to supply other examples I'll just add a shout out to another underappreciated (at least among those who haven't played it) Red course, the one at Bethpage, which I always make sure to also play when I am in the area.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Clubs where the quality disparity is less than some might think
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 06:28:58 AM »
Portrush could be the poster child here.

JMEvensky

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 06:32:20 AM »
WF-E ain't too shabby--and the "general golfing public" might not even know it exists.

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 06:37:15 AM »
Royal Melbourne. Where else do people do everything in their power to avoid playing a world top 100 course?!

Michael Felton

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 08:03:32 AM »
The two courses I was going to mention have already been mentioned - Winged Foot East and Bethpage Red. The other one that springs to mind would be the New at St Andrews. Could throw in the East at Wentworth as well.

Thinking about it, courses called "new" often get a bad rap relative to the older one. Sunningdale and Walton Heath for example. I don't think that's true of people here, but the general golfing public much more so.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 08:33:47 AM »
There are a few that come to mind.

1.  Baltursol - The lower course gets all the fame, but the upper course is also very good and some members think it is even better than the lower course.  I had a very hard time reading the putts on the upper and 18 is an absolutely wonderful hole. The upper is every bit the challenge of the lower and you could play a major championship on it's grounds featuring it based on it's merits.

2.  Medinah - Course 1 vs. Course 3.  There are 3 courses of course at Medinah and with the recent renovation at #1 which is much improved from the previous version with less trees and a favorite of the membership now.  Of course course 3 is still a brute and will beat up anyone who isn't on their game.  I'd love to see some trees taken away on #3 and learn from Tom Doak's renovation on #1 as there are some very tight holes.  #1 would be a top 20 course in the state of Illinois on it's own IMO.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 08:35:51 AM by Jeff Schley »
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 12:31:34 PM »
This is not from personal experience, but I have had two different people tell me that they thought the Valley Course at Sawgrass was more fun to play than the Stadium Course. I think most of the general public is unaware of the fact that Sawgrass has more than one course.

Joe Zucker

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 02:19:38 PM »
This is not from personal experience, but I have had two different people tell me that they thought the Valley Course at Sawgrass was more fun to play than the Stadium Course. I think most of the general public is unaware of the fact that Sawgrass has more than one course.

I think the Valley course is certainly the more difficult one.  I've played a few rounds on each and there seem to be fewer birdie opportunities at the Valley.  The Stadium is built to be more exciting and yield big and small numbers.  But I agree with the sentiment, the Valley is a good course. I would put it a Doak point below the Stadium.

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 06:29:11 PM »
Winged Foot East was the one that leapt to mind when I read the thread title.  I think the sequencing is better.  I like the routing better.  Just generally like the course better.  But I've got a couple more...

1.  Cabot Links - may be unfair to put this one in here.  But while Cabot Cliffs has all the big sister curves and looks and sass, little sis Links is a damn fine golf course

2.  Royal Troon Portland - How many clubs have a wonderful Alister MacKenzie links course as their "second course"?  I know the architecturati like to rag on Troon a little bit, but I love the Old Course there.  And I love the Portland as well.

3.  Baltusrol Upper.  Gimme the Upper at least as many times as the Lower in a 10-round span.

4.  The Dunes course at MPCC.  The Stranz showcase Shore course is all it's cracked up to be, for sure.  But the Dunes course (especially after new renovation) is just as good.

5.  Olympic Ocean.  If the Lake just beats you down (as it does most), the Ocean will lift you up.  Again, great variety and interest, with a little more compassion.

Doug Wright

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 07:34:03 PM »
Oak Hill West
Twitter: @Deneuchre

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 11:47:53 PM »
Some really good responses here..
Guilty as charged of skipping a couple (WFE,TNC)...

Much prefer the Upper, BP Red, Sawgrass Valley,and it's close on PR Valley and The Portland

Saunton West is a favorite as well that I prefer to its sibling
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 12:01:59 AM »
The poster child for the two best courses is Sunningdale. I prefer the new course but i might be in the minority. Wentworth West and East. I prefer the East. There is a third course that John Jacobs did (Edinburgh Course) that isn't all that great.

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tim Martin

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 06:07:00 AM »
Westchester CC South is a compelling Walter Travis design that gets almost -0- love when compared to it's big brother the West course. At 6200 yards it is short by today’s standards but not on fun. Years ago I remember getting an invite to play what I thought was a round on the West course only to be initially disappointed to learn that we were playing the South course. That feeling disapated quickly as it’s a ton of fun to play with a great mix of holes and terrain.

David_Madison

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 06:26:57 AM »
I also prefered Sunningdale New as it felt much older and more natural while being every bit as challenging as Old. Old was fabulous but New just had something that made me want to explore it even more. Baltusrol Upper was a lot more fun to play than Lower, as well as more natural and architecturally authentic. I thought it more varied and interesting from a shotmaking perspective, and its greens and surrounds had lots more going on.

Merion West, while certainly not of the caliber of Merion East was a ton of fun to play, with some wonderful holes (especially the par-3's) and from I heard when I was there at least as popular from a rounds played perspective with the membership as East.

James Brown

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 08:00:38 AM »
Walton Heath

Joel Pear

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2018, 09:02:22 AM »
I think Olympia Fields South is a terrific golf course!

Doug Wright

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2018, 10:57:09 AM »
Congressional Gold also is a solid golf course
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Jon Claydon

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 11:08:44 AM »
People are too harsh on Ballybunion new. 

PCCraig

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 12:12:36 PM »

2.  Medinah - Course 1 vs. Course 3.  There are 3 courses of course at Medinah and with the recent renovation at #1 which is much improved from the previous version with less trees and a favorite of the membership now.  Of course course 3 is still a brute and will beat up anyone who isn't on their game.  I'd love to see some trees taken away on #3 and learn from Tom Doak's renovation on #1 as there are some very tight holes.  #1 would be a top 20 course in the state of Illinois on it's own IMO.

I played #1 last year and loved it. Really wild set of greens (a couple seemed like near copies of greens at White Bear YC) that play wilder due to their fast pace. A great mix of tough but fun. I think it's easily top 20 in Illinois.
H.P.S.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2018, 05:27:51 PM »
The Old and the Glashedy at Ballyliffin come to mind as do the OTM/Strand and Sandy Hills at Rosapenna. And as has been said above the Cashen at Ballybunion is much better than some are inclined to suggest. And as a surprise, the Annesley at RCD is a blast. Formby and Formby Ladies too.
What about the second course at Trumpberry? I’ve not played it. What do those who have make of it?
And then what about places like The Berkshire, Woburn, Enville, Minchinhampton?
Atb

Michael Felton

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2018, 07:52:55 AM »
The Old and the Glashedy at Ballyliffin come to mind as do the OTM/Strand and Sandy Hills at Rosapenna. And as has been said above the Cashen at Ballybunion is much better than some are inclined to suggest. And as a surprise, the Annesley at RCD is a blast. Formby and Formby Ladies too.
What about the second course at Trumpberry? I’ve not played it. What do those who have make of it?
And then what about places like The Berkshire, Woburn, Enville, Minchinhampton?
Atb

The Arran course I think it is at Turnberry is okay, but on a far smaller scale than the Ailsa. It's fun to play, but I wouldn't go out of my way to play it. I would go out of my way to play the Ailsa.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2018, 09:37:11 AM »
People are too harsh on Ballybunion new.
I agree,  if that course was 5 miles down the road it would end up on the same lists as another west coast courses to see while you're over there.

I know that when I played it, it was immediately following my round on the old course and didn't think much of it. While I still think the old course is simply fantastic, over time the images of the Cashen course have stayed with me more vividly. I'd imagine most people play it after the Old and that hurts it's reputation, I wonder if they played it first if it would be seen more favorably.

John Foley

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2018, 09:42:53 AM »
Oak Hill West is a VERY solid course w/ some realy fun holes and not the constant beat down from the East. Many prefer it for the go to course.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Phil McDade

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2018, 10:49:17 AM »
Firestone North has its adherents relative to its more famous southerly neighbor.

John Blain

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2018, 12:42:51 PM »
Oak Hill West is a VERY solid course w/ some realy fun holes and not the constant beat down from the East. Many prefer it for the go to course.
John-
I played both the east and the west this past Wednesday and I can't agree more. The west is terrific, just an enjoyable course to play and a course I could play every day and die a happy man. It has long holes, short holes, easy holes, hard holes and is simple to walk.
There is a lot to like.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back