News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Re: Article -Scottish Golf Trip by Train
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2019, 05:37:42 AM »
The best 'seaside golf-by-train' vacation in the UK is arguably that to Wales, and to Borth, Harlech and Aberdovey (where the clubhouse literally abuts the platform ends). The train journey from London Euston or Paddington to Cardigan Bay, changing at Shrewsbury and/or Machynelleth, is a golfing pilgrimage to be made reverentially, with the ghosts of Bernard Darwin and his friends as ever-present companions. Once you get past Shrewsbury, the train ride is increasingly lovely, with some fabulous views of both sea and mountains as you get to the coast. There are dormy houses at both Harlech and Aberdovey, and one option is to base yourself in Aberdovey, taking the train north to Harlech (direct) and south to Borth (one change) as required. The three courses (all featured on GCA at different times) are themselves all quite different, and the Aberdovey area is notably more affluent than either Harlech or Borth. One of the hills in Harlech leading down from the Castle to Morfa Harlech and the links has just been recorded as The Steepest Street in the World', and so after 36 holes at RStD the more energetic amongst you can try walking back up, to reach the excellent Castle Cottage restaurant at the top. More importantly, you can leave the car for a week and have a wonderful week, not worrying either about having a drink or two at the end of the day's play.

I hope people will forgive me sharing a short piece of mine from Links a few years ago. I still think this is one of the nicest pieces of writing I have done.

https://www.linksmagazine.com/aberdovey_by_train/

Adam
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2019, 11:52:38 AM »
Nice piece, Adam.

Bill Crane

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2019, 01:46:24 PM »
I look at it a bit different.
You spend big bucks for flights, green fees, lodging, food, swag, pub time, etc.  But heaven forbid you spend a little extra for a car rental!  ::) ::)

If you want to go to an area or club regularly and play in some events, it is easy and saves the cost of a car and potential damage to a rental car.  The insurance can also increase the cost significantly.
As a former long time commuter to NYC living on the Northeast Corridor line NJ -USA I am used to hopping on a train, and you can even grab a quick nap.
With essentially zero tolerance on drinking in UK and Ireland you can't really drive anyway after hitting the bar or pub.
My son and I took the train roundtrip to Edinburgh from North Berwick last Tuesday afternoon and the off peak fare was a little over 7 GBP.

Scott Senior

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2019, 03:59:24 PM »
Nice article Adam!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back