News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

One of the great club houses and a very interesting course. Byron Nelson became the pro there in 1937 after his Masters win.

http://www.readingeagle.com/news/article/reading-county-club-secures-place-in-history

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 05:20:02 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Joe Bausch

Reading is very cool.

Photos from April 2017:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/Reading/index.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Phil McDade

Joe:

When I saw this post, I immediately went to your photo tour of the course. How does Reading compare to some of the 2nd-tier, lesser-known courses in PA.? (Thinking: Scranton, York, Lehigh...) Reading looks pretty subtle, on not-very-rambunctious terrain.

JNagle

Very good news for the course.  I toured the course last year with individuals from the State and other agencies to discuss the
course, its history and Findlay.  I will most certainly forward the article to the grandson of Alexander Findlay.  I am sure he will be excited.  He has told me on a number of occasions that Reading was one of AF's most beloved projects.  He was the designer, his brother and son assisted with its construction.

It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Kyle Harris

Joe:

When I saw this post, I immediately went to your photo tour of the course. How does Reading compare to some of the 2nd-tier, lesser-known courses in PA.? (Thinking: Scranton, York, Lehigh...) Reading looks pretty subtle, on not-very-rambunctious terrain.

14-16 is as aggressive a stretch across some rambunctious terrain as you could ask.

14 might be an all-world Par 5 if it were closer to Philadelphia.

*ALMOST* as rambunctious as its cousin 14th at nearby Manor GC.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Ed Brzezowski

Very good news for the course.  I toured the course last year with individuals from the State and other agencies to discuss the
course, its history and Findlay.  I will most certainly forward the article to the grandson of Alexander Findlay.  I am sure he will be excited.  He has told me on a number of occasions that Reading was one of AF's most beloved projects.  He was the designer, his brother and son assisted with its construction.

Shows the strength of Philly golf and the GAP.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Bill Crane

Friends:

Anyone know about the process, positives and negatives of trying to be added to the National Register of Historic Places ?

My understanding was that only courses with the impact on the game and society of the magnitude of Merion that might be granted that status.

Is there a thread on this topic anywhere on GCA ?  I have not seen one.

JNagle

Bill -

The process started about one year ago.  There was extensive research and record collecting.  The site visit I conducted with the
State agencies was to discuss the importance of Alexander Findlay's contributions to the game of golf and architecture.  Some may think his importance is minimal until you really study his travels and desire to grow the game in the late 1880's.  He along with Tom Bendelow were significant contributors to the development of many early courses close to urban centers.  Many of which NLE.  Reading is an interesting course with some Findlay features seen elsewhere is his work.  For me personally, Reading has been a go to course for study, both on site and in photos, for restoration/renovation efforts at Tavistock, Lebanon and Coatesville.   I am currently getting geared up for the renovation of a Northern NJ course called Beacon Hill which is rumored to be early Findlay (there are some tell tale signs).  I am using some of his work and that of early Tilly for inspiration. 

The people at Reading C.C. began to hear rumblings of a potential shut-down of the course.  The Township was thinking of selling of portions of the property but maintaining the beautiful clubhouse and a social banquet facility.  A few people decided to go the route of getting the course registered in an attempt to save the facility. 

I shared the news with Findlay's grandson and he was very happy to hear the news.  He reiterated his grandfathers love for Reading.  Who knows what the future holds for the facility.  Time will tell what the TWP decides to do.  A restoration would certainly be an exciting undertaking.  Flooding of the lower portion of the property will likely never allow the return of what was a spectacular par 3 (4th hole).  The current 4th is an abomination!

If need be, you can message me and I can get you in contact with the course superintendent.  He was instrumental in the process.

It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Joe Bausch

Joe:

Wow, challenging question!  I consider Scranton, York, and Lehigh to be wonderful courses and they are all private with budgets to really make the architecture shine. 

Reading is a joy to play, my favorite hole being what some of us call the Findlay Alps hole, the dogleg-left par 4 11th.

Joe Bausch

Bill -

The process started about one year ago.  There was extensive research and record collecting.  The site visit I conducted with the
State agencies was to discuss the importance of Alexander Findlay's contributions to the game of golf and architecture.  Some may think his importance is minimal until you really study his travels and desire to grow the game in the late 1880's.  He along with Tom Bendelow were significant contributors to the development of many early courses close to urban centers.  Many of which NLE.  Reading is an interesting course with some Findlay features seen elsewhere is his work.  For me personally, Reading has been a go to course for study, both on site and in photos, for restoration/renovation efforts at Tavistock, Lebanon and Coatesville.   I am currently getting geared up for the renovation of a Northern NJ course called Beacon Hill which is rumored to be early Findlay (there are some tell tale signs).  I am using some of his work and that of early Tilly for inspiration. 

The people at Reading C.C. began to hear rumblings of a potential shut-down of the course.  The Township was thinking of selling of portions of the property but maintaining the beautiful clubhouse and a social banquet facility.  A few people decided to go the route of getting the course registered in an attempt to save the facility. 

I shared the news with Findlay's grandson and he was very happy to hear the news.  He reiterated his grandfathers love for Reading.  Who knows what the future holds for the facility.  Time will tell what the TWP decides to do.  A restoration would certainly be an exciting undertaking.  Flooding of the lower portion of the property will likely never allow the return of what was a spectacular par 3 (4th hole).  The current 4th is an abomination!

If need be, you can message me and I can get you in contact with the course superintendent.  He was instrumental in the process.

Excellent work by all involved. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back