News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

How Hilly Is Shinnecock?
« on: June 17, 2018, 07:44:23 PM »
I know viewing on TV tends to flatten out golf courses. In some ways, Shinnecock seemed on TV to be even hillier than Augusta, which I doubt it is. And the greens at the former appeared to have as much slope as at the latter.

For those of you who have been on both properties, how do they compare? 

Cal Seifert

Re: How Hilly Is Shinnecock?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 08:15:57 PM »
Never been to ANGC but the hill from the low point of the 18th fairway to the clubhouse is very steep and takes fans a long time to climb up when the marshalls let people cross.  Other holes such as 10 have many hills as well. 

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 04:10:45 PM »
From walking both, ANGC is hillier on a more grand scale.  The few significant elevation changes at Shinnecock feel more severe (e.g. the approach on 9) because they aren’t as vast in width.  The sheer width of the property at ANGC gives your mind the impression that elevation changes aren’t as large as your legs will attest.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 06:10:06 PM »
Played SH and walked ANGC, and agreed, Kevin.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tim Martin

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 08:58:37 PM »
I agree that ANGC is hillier but not by that much. Greens at both courses have a ton of slope but I think ANGC has more internal contouring.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 09:54:36 PM »
the hills at Sh all start on the backside. ANGC has a more consistent up and down flow
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

William_G

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 10:45:15 PM »
had this conversation today about how they look on TV

somewhat similar

ANGC has Rae's Creek and a distinctive slope throughout the course in that direction with a significant elevation drop from the clubhouse

ANGC has more trees, less panoramic views, more lush, similar multi-colored greens, and a little more hilly internally as probably was a larger river basin hundreds of years ago

SHGC totally sand based with beautiful vistas and a perched clubhouse visible from everywhere on the course, America!

elevation drop probably a bit more at ANGC than SHGC without looking at any maps
It's all about the golf!

mike_malone

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 11:07:29 PM »
Not nearly as hilly as the Flynn I play. Lancaster and Lehigh may be more also.
AKA Mayday

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 02:02:59 PM »
It's almost 150 feet downhill from the tenth tee at Augusta to Rae's Creek which is the low point of the course.

From the clubhouse at Shinnecock it's probably 75-90 feet to #6 which I think is the lowest point.

They are both hilly, but 9 at Shinnecock is about 40 feet uphill; 18 at Augusta is 70 feet IIRC.  The difference is Shinnecock takes up most of that elevation on the approach instead of the drive, so it looks steeper from the fairway.

WilliamN

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 04:41:50 PM »
It amazes me just how different elevations look on TV vs. in person.  Did not think the coverage this weekend did justice to the elevation changes on a number of holes, most notably (for me at least) 14, 15, 9, and 18. 

Before this thread, I was thinking similarly, but more about comparing Flynn’s Rolling Green in Philly to Shinnecock and the elevation changes there.  I think the lack of trees might make Shinnecock appear like it is “more hilly”, but I bet that Rolling Green actually has greater elevation change overall

V. Kmetz

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 06:32:52 PM »
Shinnecock's "Hills" are confined to the SE (#s 10 - 15) and South (clubhouse, 9th/18th approach, 1st tee) portions of the property...the rest is nearly as flat as a beach.

The entire property of Augusta National rolls and swells down a nearly continuous slope and the routing takes the players into the lowest spots of the property three times (6, Amen Corner, 16)...it is a much harder walk. There's only two holes that are remotely flat (3 and 7, parallel to one another)

cheers  vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back