News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Cobb's Creek News....Restoration will start
« on: June 13, 2018, 11:26:55 PM »
Sweetheart Deal? City Council hearing today:

In hopes of returning the century-old Cobbs Creek Golf Club to its glory days, Mayor Kenney’s administration wants to rent out the course to a nonprofit that has vowed to fix it.

But the cost of rent — $0 — has one Council member calling the plan a sweetheart deal.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/cobbs-creek-golf-club-leased-nonprofit-mayor-kenney-20180613.html
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 10:58:20 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

JESII

Re: Cobbs Creek News....
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 08:32:39 AM »
Well that’s pretty spectacular!

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 09:01:45 AM »
This sounds wonderful for the community, Philadelphia and public course golfers in the area.  I am guessing the dissenter, Cindy Bass, just wanted to get in some licks and does not speak for the majority.  Speaking on the financial and business part of the deal as a Politician, Political Assistant and Community Organizer(her bio states the 3 as her profession), her lack of business acumen spoke more loudly than the points she was attempting to make.  Reading between the lines I feel she is fearful about the success a non government entity will have on public land.  It is bad optics for city government.

This deal has a chance to rock the inner city public golf course scene in the USA.  Best wishes.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

John_Cullum

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 10:05:47 AM »
Bass' objection is that there's nothing in it for her.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Bruce Katona

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 11:17:55 AM »
Who would inject in excess of $20 million in Cap Ex if they also have to pay rent on the land over $30 years? No one who wants to stay in the golf business and actually receive some return on their capital investment.

Unless a Not-for-profit can raise the equity (meaning no debt service on borrowed money) to inject the course will just continue to deteriorate.

Chris Mavros

Re: Cobb's Creek News....
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 09:14:01 PM »
Really promising news.  The comments from Bass seem obligatory more than anything, not fully understanding the benefits that would come from a fully restored Cobb's Creek.   

mike_malone

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 09:38:46 PM »
One of our Rolling Green members is in the Mayor’s office so I feel optimistic based on his comments to me.
AKA Mayday

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 09:43:56 PM »
Truly fantastic news!

There's always opposition - don't sweat it and keep moving forward :)

MCirba

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 04:39:35 PM »
The bill to give our nonprofit Foundation a long-term lease for the restoration and upkeep of Cobbs Creek Golf Course passed Philadelphia city council today 17 to 0 and goes to the mayor for Ssgnature shortly. What a long strange trip it's been.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 04:41:13 PM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 05:03:59 PM »
Mike & Joe,

It's been a long, hard road to victory and I  will witness the transformation from the desert where 2 munis have been recently renovated for the better.

Here is a Tweet from Matt Ginella:
Cobb’s Creek is a Hugh Wilson design (Merion), with the proposed restoration plans being led by the efforts and passions of Mike Cirba and Joe Bausch. Congrats to Philadelphia public golfers and all involved as they approach the finish line. [/size]#growthegame[/color]
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 05:49:52 PM »
Mike & Joe - congratulations.
None of us can ever know what it took, and all that it took, to get here -- but we can know this:
You've laid the cornerstone.
Best to you both and to Cobb's Creek!
Peter

Joe Bausch

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 07:51:29 PM »
Mike & Joe - congratulations.
None of us can ever know what it took, and all that it took, to get here -- but we can know this:
You've laid the cornerstone.
Best to you both and to Cobb's Creek!
Peter

Peter:  thank you.

Your words have always been inspirational.

We still can’t believe where we are at.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 08:41:08 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

MCirba

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 10:47:35 PM »
Thanks Peter.

Golf saved my life and gave me something positive to focus on and dream about during my formative years.

My dream is to offer the same opportunity to the next kid and the next hundred kids and the next hundred kids and the next hundred kids beyond that well past the time when I have moved on from this life.

I also hope to play the original Golf Course with its genius routing while I can still hit the ball over a hundred fifty yards. Thank you everyone for your support. 

Victor Donnay

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 05:16:28 AM »
Mike and Joe

For anyone who has ever had a zany idea and dreamed of turning it into a reality, your success is an inspiration. Congratulations!

Philadelphia is moving forward in exciting ways. Last evening I was walking along the downtown Schuylkill Riverbank trail. There was an outdoor movie going on, kayak tours of the river, a riverboat cruise and an open air beer garden. When folks come to Philadelphia to play the restored Cobbs Creek course, they will find a lot to enjoy in the city. That river banks restoration projected was dreamed of in 1920 and took 70 years before it began to pick up speed. That your project only took 10 years to get off the ground might be a record for city planning!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 07:07:06 AM »
Mike, Joe, and Tom Paul + Others,

Congrats and thanks for your perseverance. Next we need to talk about Walnut Lane’s cart paths !! 😂
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Jeff Schley

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 07:16:43 AM »
Mike & Joe,
It is congratulations, but moreso thank you for helping push public golf in a metro area, your efforts will be recognized for many years to come.  So appropriate to show a victory for the little guy in the city of brotherly love.

"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Joe Bausch

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 07:48:21 AM »
For those new to the Cobb’s game or would like a refresher, the place to visit is the website called the Friends of Cobb’s Creek Golf Course:

http://friendsofcobbscreekgc.com/

Special thanks goes to Matt Frey who helped immensely getting this new site going after version 1.0 on my school server was put out to pasture.

Steve Lang

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 09:54:45 AM »
 8) Congrats to the Friends of CC on this important step in the process!!  Now the real work begins...

So, the next time i visit cousins in Blue Bell, PA and am in the area, who's the best tour guide?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 09:59:36 AM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Kalen Braley

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 11:19:44 AM »
Mike and Joe.  A big congrats on this one, just excellent!!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 11:27:49 AM »
Just awesome work, you boys.
Need to plan a return trip to Phila soon!
Well done,
M.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

MCirba

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 11:29:05 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their kind words and well-wishes.

But I'd be remiss not to mention that even though Joe & I sort of became the public face of this effort, another GCA-er, John Burnes put in just a Herculean effort behind the scenes with City Officials, Benefactors, and Community Groups to get this to the finish line.

A few years ago over the holidays we had lunch with John at our favorite Mexican Restaurant in Conshohocken and asked for his advice on how best to proceed given that we hadn't had much traction since June of 2013, and were clearly frustrated without someone who could help us manage the levers of power from the inside.   John jumped into the fray with both feet.

John, who was described to me yesterday by someone who witnessed his passionate lobbying as "A Force of Nature", indeed made getting this accomplished his own personal mission, and we would have never gotten this far without his heart, courage, and conviction.   
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 04:33:13 PM by MCirba »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2018, 11:31:26 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their kind words and well-wishes.
But I'd be remiss not to mention that even though Joe & I sort of became the public face of this effort, another GCA-er, John Burnes put in just a Herculean effort behind the scenes with City Officials, Benefactors, and Community Groups to get this to the finish line.
A few years ago over the holidays we had lunch with John at our favorite Mexican Restaurant in Conshohocken and asked for his advice on how best to proceed given that we hadn't had much traction since June of 2013, and were clearly frustrated without someone who could help us manage the levers of power from the inside.   John jumped into the fray with both feet.

John, who was described to me yesterday by someone who witnessed his passionate lobbying as "A Force of Nature", indeed made getting this accomplished his own personal mission, and we would have never gotten this far without his heart, courage, and conviction.

Big John Burnes!   ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2018, 11:32:13 AM »
Mike,

So whats your best stab at an approx timeline for putting out the RFC, permitting, etc and getting something in the ground?

Kalen

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2018, 12:19:16 PM »
Here's the Bill approved by City Council:

http://myphillygolf.com/detail.asp?id=19326

Bill Crane

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2018, 02:59:08 PM »
Congratulations ! What a super story and super news for golfers in the Phila area.

I always thought it ironic that Cobbs Creek runs through Merion on the way to Cobbs Creek Golf Club. It must be in the water !

Best luck on execution, can't wait.

Bill
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 05:04:04 PM by Bill Crane »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back