News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BHoover

Re: Course set-up at US Open
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2018, 08:55:01 PM »
Dustin Johnson seems to have had no issues with course setup.

Too Soon?  🙃

Touché

Dean Stokes

« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2018, 09:04:13 PM »
I think Jeff said it well earlier in this thread-you can go to Shinnecock almost any week in the summer and especially member/guest etc and the course will be immaculate if not perfect (like most courses in that locale)!
So for the Open, let the super bring in the rough 5 paces at each side if it must happen, throw the tees back on the tees that none of us regular humans would ever visit, tuck the pins just a little more and you have US Open ready Shinnecock! Is that really too hard? This is at the end of the day just a damn golf tournament! A big one none the less but when you turn on the news and see what’s going on daily in the world this shouldn’t be such an upheaval every June!
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2018, 09:31:40 PM »
I like this bizarro world where a course is in crap condition for the pros only to be perfect for member play the rest of the year.

William_G

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2018, 10:13:43 PM »
Listening to Mike Davis and John Bodenhamer say they got stronger winds than predicted is such a farce and misleading

The wind was forecasted and the USGA blew it again and gave damaged the integrity of the US Open again

2 different golf courses AM/PM

So sad for Shinnecock, the superintendent, and everyone involved, so much hard work gone to waste.

It's all about the golf!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2018, 10:25:53 PM »
They have an institutional commitment to protecting par for this championship. Every once in a while, they take a kinder and gentler approach and everyone goes ape-shit crazy. Then they overreact and trick up the course (Pebble, Pinehurst and Shinnecock for example) and everybody gets apoplectic.

Maybe if they stopped their preoccupation with protecting par, they just might achieve their purported mission of “identifying the best player,” and let the great players play real golf instead of this halting, fearful, tragi-comic crap that we saw today.

Berger and Finau in the final group says a lot, in my mind. It says that the USGA prefers torturing the field just so they can hand the trophy to the luckiest player in the field.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 10:28:15 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

BHoover

« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2018, 10:28:02 PM »
Listening to Mike Davis and John Bodenhamer say they got stronger winds than predicted is such a farce and misleading

The wind was forecasted and the USGA blew it again and gave damaged the integrity of the US Open again

So sad for Shinnecock, the superintendent, and everyone involved, so much hard work gone to waste.

Respectfully, how is this a “waste” for Shinnecock? There is a four-way tie for the lead and several other major champions are in the hunt heading into the final round. Okay, the third round conditions may have been somewhat over-the-top (arguably), but the final round is set up for some drama. I’d call this a success thus far.

William_G

« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2018, 10:51:44 PM »
I like this bizarro world where a course is in crap condition for the pros only to be perfect for member play the rest of the year.

trying too hard, KISS is what's missing for Mike Davis, he's just so smart
It's all about the golf!

William_G

« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2018, 10:58:50 PM »

Respectfully, how is this a “waste” for Shinnecock? There is a four-way tie for the lead and several other major champions are in the hunt heading into the final round. Okay, the third round conditions may have been somewhat over-the-top (arguably), but the final round is set up for some drama. I’d call this a success thus far.

it's a waste because the headlines are not about the players but of the set-up

everyone has their own definition for success, but this type of Saturday was promised to not happen after the debacle in 2004

Shinnecock does not need Mike Davis, Mike Davis and the USGA need Shinnecock, and they forgot that
It's all about the golf!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2018, 11:44:06 PM »

I looked at the wind forecast last evening, and it was below 10 mph.   For tomorrow it starts out calm and shouldn't get above 8 mph.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2018, 11:47:01 PM »
Based on what I saw today they should pick 1/9 if there is a playoff since I suspect there is not a "fair" hole location on the 18th.

William_G

« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2018, 12:39:31 AM »

I looked at the wind forecast last evening, and it was below 10 mph.   For tomorrow it starts out calm and shouldn't get above 8 mph.

Golf Channel report....

"The USGA’s own weather forecast called for gusts to 20 mph and warm, dry conditions, and yet the association rolled the dice with what turned out to be borderline hole locations.

“There were some aspects today where well-executed shots were not rewarded. We missed it with the wind,” Davis said. “We don’t want that. The firmness was OK but it was too much with the wind we had. It was probably too tough this afternoon – a tale of two courses.”"
It's all about the golf!

Sean_A

« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2018, 04:28:14 AM »

If the 3rd round was ott, so too was the 1st. The scoring average was one shot better on Saturday  but with a short field. On each day only five players matched par or better. It seems to me that the greens need to be dialed back somewhat and all would be fine. In any case, two dubious days out of three leaves many questions to be answered.

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 05:16:15 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

jeffwarne

« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2018, 06:26:16 AM »

I wad at The Bridge all day Saturday. Highest point on Long Island.
Not one person commented on the wind.
Davis is delusuonal
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back