News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: ID Help on Golf Hole Photo, MacKenzie Connection - NOW WITH PHOTO!
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2018, 06:25:14 AM »
It looks to me like a colourized black and white photo.

I agree with many others...that doesn't look like a GB&I location. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tim Leahy

« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2018, 02:08:03 AM »
Tim the ground along the coast at Sharp Park is relatively flat and was often inundated following storms. The coastal section has no landforms like the one in my photo to the best of my knowledge. You made the suggestion about the 12th, which is one of the inland holes, but I don't think its that or the 13th.
I was talking about the current 12 hole location because I only had a current layout. But I did find an article with a layout from 1932 titled "1932 sharp park hole descriptions by Jack Flemming". The description of the 3rd hole and location sounds like your picture. 14 in that layout might also fit the bill with the road behind it since that layout is an artist's rendering it might have left out details.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 02:24:03 AM by Tim Leahy »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2018, 02:34:15 AM »
Tim the ground along the coast at Sharp Park is relatively flat and was often inundated following storms. The coastal section has no landforms like the one in my photo to the best of my knowledge. You made the suggestion about the 12th, which is one of the inland holes, but I don't think its that or the 13th.
I was talking about the current 12 hole location because I only had a current layout. But I did find an article with a layout from 1932 titled "1932 sharp park hole descriptions by Jack Flemming". The description of the 3rd hole and location sounds like your picture. 14 in that layout might also fit the bill with the road behind it since that layout is an artist's rendering it might have left out details.

Tim
The original 3rd hole at Sharp Park played along the beach and had another green immediately behind it, the 7th, so can't be that hole. The original 14th played downhill with a creek at the right and the road behind but not down the left, so can't be that one either.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2018, 04:38:26 AM »
Just in case it hasn’t been mentioned, there are two roads / paths here:

One main road that appears to cut diagonally across the fairway (although appearances can be deceptive)... and one other road (or wide walking path) that runs behind the dune and travels along the back / left of the green, off picture to the right past where the bench is located and below the sign at the extreme right.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 04:40:32 AM by Ally Mcintosh »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2018, 03:17:41 AM »
Bumping this thread as I'm curious to know if the hole in question has been identified?
atb

Luke Eipper

« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2018, 06:13:48 PM »
What about 9 at Pasatiempo? Before the clubhouse was built.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2018, 10:14:14 PM »
What about 9 at Pasatiempo? Before the clubhouse was built.

That's a great suggestion.  Could be it.  Pasatiempo isn't that sandy, but the soils do look white in old b/w photos.

There were actually two different ninth greens at Pasatiempo in the early years - the present one and another that was straighter up the hill.  This view would have cut out the other green even if it was extant at the time the picture was taken.  The bunkering, for the current green, is pretty much correct.

I also like the suggestion because MacKenzie didn't stick around many of this courses from the second half of his career for long enough to autograph a picture of the finished product, but he lived at Pasatiempo.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back