News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Molyneux

Re: How many NLE courses have you played?
« Reply #125 on: July 27, 2024, 03:22:41 PM »
ACE Club, designed by Rees Jones, died September 2, 2001. I worked there. I played it on its final day. The entire site was plowed under and a redesign by Gary Player (including an additional 50 acres or so) was put in its place. Player's design is wonderful in its current Union League identity but Jones' course, which replaced the original Eagle Lodge in the mid-1980s, was VERY good.

Bob Harris

« Reply #126 on: July 27, 2024, 03:46:36 PM »
ACE Club, designed by Rees Jones, died September 2, 2001. I worked there. I played it on its final day. The entire site was plowed under and a redesign by Gary Player (including an additional 50 acres or so) was put in its place. Player's design is wonderful in its current Union League identity but Jones' course, which replaced the original Eagle Lodge in the mid-1980s, was VERY good.

We always knew that course as Eagle Lodge, owned by Insurance Company on North America.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #127 on: July 27, 2024, 04:48:50 PM »

We always knew that course as Eagle Lodge, owned by Insurance Company on North America.
And before Eagle Lodge, it was the 2nd location for Roxborough CC.  :)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tom_Doak

« Reply #128 on: July 27, 2024, 04:56:33 PM »
Mike:

You'll have to take High Pointe off your list; nine holes opened there last week, including the original 10th through 15th.  The rest of the new holes will be open in the fall.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #129 on: July 27, 2024, 08:33:09 PM »
Mike:

You'll have to take High Pointe off your list; nine holes opened there last week, including the original 10th through 15th.  The rest of the new holes will be open in the fall.

Is there enough of the old course intact not to call it a new course?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

mike_malone

« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2024, 08:51:50 PM »
I imagine there are several I don’t recall but here some impressions.

Two in Delaware

Rock Manor is gone as far as I’m concerned. The present one is totally different.

Pike Creek Valley which became Three Little Bakers was my home course out of college.

Near Elkton Md. was Brantwood I think. It was close to school and very cheap and fun.

In New Jersey was a 27 hole I can’t recall the name but the first hole on one nine was a 90 degree dogleg.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2024, 10:31:54 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Bob Harris

« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2024, 09:10:44 PM »

I did get to play both a number of times and I actually preferred the Jones design over the Player.

Mike Schott

« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2024, 09:43:51 PM »
Two:  Both Par 3/Executive courses.  Oasis Golf Center in Livonia, MI, and Independence Green Apartments in Farmington Hills.  Both just as legendary as The Lido, obviously.  I particularly remember being excited to play the only par 4 on Independence Green which was like 270 and had no fairway, just a sea of rough.  Both places are still operating but without the courses, Oasis being a massive driving range.  If anyone on this board ever teed it up at either I'd be shocked.

6 years late Tom but I grew up in that area and played both. Independence Green was a fun little course and Oasis is my go to winter indoor driving range.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #133 on: July 28, 2024, 06:27:49 AM »
May have been mentioned, perhaps not.

On instagram, @GCGraveyard

https://www.instagram.com/gcgraveyard/

Only two dozen or so...hopefully will have legs and will commemorate others.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2024, 06:30:21 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Paul Jones

« Reply #134 on: July 28, 2024, 08:53:00 AM »
Would you consider the original Sutton Bay NLE as they had to move the course to more stable land?  The course I played does not exist anymore.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Dave Doxey

« Reply #135 on: July 28, 2024, 10:30:39 AM »
Three not yet mentioned in northern Virginia.

Westpark - Leesburg VA
Goose Creek - Leesburg VA
Virginia National - Bluemont VA

The first two are probably better off NLE.  Virginia National was an interesting, scenic, course on the Shenandoah river.

I wish I had kept track of courses in my lifetime.  NLEs that I can recall are all of the ones near Myrtle Beach, the 3 above, and the Lower Cascades course at The Homestead.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #136 on: July 28, 2024, 12:20:25 PM »
Three not yet mentioned in northern Virginia.

Westpark - Leesburg VA
Goose Creek - Leesburg VA
Virginia National - Bluemont VA

Goose Creek had a small but loyal following. Closing the course broke their hearts.
Virginia National was doomed from the beginning.

The first two are probably better off NLE.  Virginia National was an interesting, scenic, course on the Shenandoah river.

I wish I had kept track of courses in my lifetime.  NLEs that I can recall are all of the ones near Myrtle Beach, the 3 above, and the Lower Cascades course at The Homestead.

Goose Creek had a small loyal following who were crushed when the course closed.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2024, 06:52:31 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #137 on: July 28, 2024, 12:35:52 PM »
Marsh Harbour (Calabash, NC)
Ocean Harbour (Calabash, NC)
Heather Glen (Little River, SC)
Angel's Trace North (Sunset Beach, NC)
Angel's Trace South (Sunset Beach, NC)
Fox Run/Barrington Hall Country Club (Macon, GA)
Durham Lakes Golf and Country Club (Fairburn, GA)

The five on the Grand Strand were all perfectly fine courses (I know Tom Doak hated Heather Glen, but while it was definitely not a favorite of mine, I never minded playing there), and Marsh/Ocean Harbour were both better than the majority of courses down there.

The Georgia courses weren't good. Barrington Hall may actually still be open. I know it closed and re-opened multiple times, but the last information I can find about it was in 2015 and it doesn't appear to have a website now, so I assume it's closed. Durham Lakes also may be open -- it closed for a while, then supposedly re-opened (and they do have a website, but it's the same website that existed before the course was closed), but other information says it's still closed. It was a better layout than Barrington Hall and had some pretty good holes, but it's no big loss. There's one more NLE I've played in Georgia but I don't remember the name of it, and it was a horrible course.
Just as some people like strawberry jelly and others grape, I disagree with regards to Durham Lakes. It was a demanding/challenging course. It had a diverse set of par 3's, and even moreso of par 4's. #2 and #9, I particularly remember as being great par 4's; the type to make a 4 and run. The routing could have been a little better, or, maybe just put the clubhouse (what they had of one) in a different spot. Additionally, for those of us that live in the city, it was very close to Atlanta--a 20 minute drive from the city. The conditioning could be suspect, but generally speaking the greens were pretty good and the fairways too, even if a bit longer than most other places. Off the fairway, conditions could be a little "wild".
An interesting thing is the course, I believe, was supposed to be the anchor of the Durham Lakes community. However, the people who bought houses there, either didn't really play golf, or found the course too difficult. The general Atlanta population, I believe also found it too hard. It was no surprise it couldn't sustain it's existence. It closed about 7-10 years ago. Then a guy single handedly, bought the place and started rehabbing it by himself with a Bobcat and hand trimming. It had sat dormant for 2 years or so...so the guy really had his work cut out for him. The amount of clearing that he did was incredible in only about a year and a half. At the point where he started to rebuild the greens and put them in, he suddenly stopped. His social media accounts disappeared and that was that.

That was about 3 years ago. I keep meaning to drive down there to investigate, but I never get around to it.

Other Atlanta metro NLE's, that I've seen disappear since my arrival from the Left Coast in 1995, Atlanta International, The Metropolitan Club (where back in the 60's/70's it was THE club comprised of members from the elite of business, society, politics, and professional sports), and an interesting Joe Lee course on the east side of town just outside the perimeter that I can't recall the name.

Tim Martin

« Reply #138 on: July 28, 2024, 03:02:00 PM »
Metacomet GC in East Providence, RI closed in 2020 and is a tough one to get over.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #139 on: July 28, 2024, 03:21:24 PM »
Ones off top of my head:

Plum Tree National (IL)
The original Arlington Heights, IL municipal
Redgate (MD)
Patuxtent Greens (MD)
Broadmoor Mountain (CO)
The original Mammouth Cave (KY)
Whatever existed before the Links at Perry Cabin (MD)

Tim Taylor

« Reply #140 on: July 28, 2024, 07:09:17 PM »
A couple I can think of:

Hershey Parkview. Growing up in Harrisburg, this was the "good course" we'd play.
Wren Dale, the Hurdzan Fry course affiliated with Hershey Resort. Pretty good course.
Red Gate (will admit, saw this one up thread, didn't know it had closed).
Blue Heron Pines East, a fun Steve Smyers course.

Edited to add: Beechtree. Probably a few in greater Myrtle Beach area too.

Tim
« Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 10:06:12 AM by Tim Taylor »

Ira Fishman

« Reply #141 on: July 28, 2024, 07:59:49 PM »
I forgot about Hershey Parkview—really solid course.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #142 on: July 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM »

That's about 4.5%.

Oregon (13): West Hills, Hoyt Park, Pleasant Valley, Orenco Woods, Neahkahnie, Top O'Scott, Veterans Memorial, Colwood Natl., Bandon (hickory), McKenzie River, Broadmoor, Sandelie, Sheep Ranch (DoaK)

Elsewhere (13)
Beechtree  MD
Sea Marsh SC
Bahamas - 1 unk
Castle Harbour Bermuda
Stevinson Ranch CA
The Pit NC
Pinehurst (#4?) NC
Black Forest at Wilderness MI
Oakhurst WV
Badlands, NV
Grandote Peaks, CO
Long Shadow GA
Apache Stronghold AZ
Primm Valley, CA (both)
None of them were NLE when I played. No golf courses were hurt by me playing them..

Modified today. Added Broadmoor, Sandelie and Sheep Ranch (Doak) in Oregon.  Additions and deletion elsewhere as courses were restarted, closed, including Apache Stronghold and both Primm Valley courses.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2024, 11:23:13 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #143 on: July 29, 2024, 09:50:43 AM »
As an architect, nothing makes you feel older than having NLE courses on your resume.  I have three, a no fee par 3 in a subdivision, Centenial in Ackworth, GA (now under Pulte homes) and Great Southwest, a renovation now under warehouses in DFW.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

mike_malone

« Reply #144 on: July 29, 2024, 09:56:50 AM »
As an architect, nothing makes you feel older than having NLE courses on your resume.  I have three, a no fee par 3 in a subdivision, Centenial in Ackworth, GA (now under Pulte homes) and Great Southwest, a renovation now under warehouses in DFW.

Jeff,
That’s much worse than me missing my old stomping grounds.
AKA Mayday

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #145 on: July 29, 2024, 09:11:16 PM »
Marsh Harbour (Calabash, NC)
Ocean Harbour (Calabash, NC)
Heather Glen (Little River, SC)
Angel's Trace North (Sunset Beach, NC)
Angel's Trace South (Sunset Beach, NC)
Fox Run/Barrington Hall Country Club (Macon, GA)
Durham Lakes Golf and Country Club (Fairburn, GA)

The five on the Grand Strand were all perfectly fine courses (I know Tom Doak hated Heather Glen, but while it was definitely not a favorite of mine, I never minded playing there), and Marsh/Ocean Harbour were both better than the majority of courses down there.

The Georgia courses weren't good. Barrington Hall may actually still be open. I know it closed and re-opened multiple times, but the last information I can find about it was in 2015 and it doesn't appear to have a website now, so I assume it's closed. Durham Lakes also may be open -- it closed for a while, then supposedly re-opened (and they do have a website, but it's the same website that existed before the course was closed), but other information says it's still closed. It was a better layout than Barrington Hall and had some pretty good holes, but it's no big loss. There's one more NLE I've played in Georgia but I don't remember the name of it, and it was a horrible course.
Just as some people like strawberry jelly and others grape, I disagree with regards to Durham Lakes. It was a demanding/challenging course. It had a diverse set of par 3's, and even moreso of par 4's. #2 and #9, I particularly remember as being great par 4's; the type to make a 4 and run. The routing could have been a little better, or, maybe just put the clubhouse (what they had of one) in a different spot. Additionally, for those of us that live in the city, it was very close to Atlanta--a 20 minute drive from the city. The conditioning could be suspect, but generally speaking the greens were pretty good and the fairways too, even if a bit longer than most other places. Off the fairway, conditions could be a little "wild".
An interesting thing is the course, I believe, was supposed to be the anchor of the Durham Lakes community. However, the people who bought houses there, either didn't really play golf, or found the course too difficult. The general Atlanta population, I believe also found it too hard. It was no surprise it couldn't sustain it's existence. It closed about 7-10 years ago. Then a guy single handedly, bought the place and started rehabbing it by himself with a Bobcat and hand trimming. It had sat dormant for 2 years or so...so the guy really had his work cut out for him. The amount of clearing that he did was incredible in only about a year and a half. At the point where he started to rebuild the greens and put them in, he suddenly stopped. His social media accounts disappeared and that was that.

That was about 3 years ago. I keep meaning to drive down there to investigate, but I never get around to it.

Other Atlanta metro NLE's, that I've seen disappear since my arrival from the Left Coast in 1995, Atlanta International, The Metropolitan Club (where back in the 60's/70's it was THE club comprised of members from the elite of business, society, politics, and professional sports), and an interesting Joe Lee course on the east side of town just outside the perimeter that I can't recall the name.

I don't think Durham Lakes was a bad course -- as I said, it was much better than Barrington Hall/Fox Run -- it just wasn't anything special. There were some good holes out there, but there were also some funky ones.

Trophy Club is another Atlanta metro NLE that was still open when I made that original post but is now permanently gone. Also The Frog closed for a bit, which I thought was a pretty good Fazio, although I think it has since re-opened.

An addendum of courses I either forgot to list or have closed since I made that original post:

Trophy Club of Atlanta (Alpharetta, GA)
Longview Golf Course (Greensboro, NC)
Bel Aire Golf Course (Greensboro, NC)
Possum Trot (North Myrtle Beach, SC)
Farmstead Golf Links (Calabash, NC)
Ocean Isle Beach Golf Course (Ocean Isle Beach, NC)
Ocean Links at Amelia Island (Fernandina Beach, FL)

I think there may be a couple of others in Georgia and NC.

JohnVDB

« Reply #146 on: July 30, 2024, 11:53:13 AM »
A few that I’ve played, most in CA

Aetna Ranch, although I found an article that seemed to imply it might open in 2026.
Calero Hills
Diablo Grande Legends. I’m not sure about the Ranch, but I believe it is still open
Fallbrook CC
Riverside Golf course. Part of it still exists as a part of Coyote Creek I believe
Stevinson Ranch.  Lovely course.

Churchill Valley in Pittsburgh PA

Tom_Doak

« Reply #147 on: July 30, 2024, 01:03:16 PM »
Mike:

Is there enough of the old course intact not to call it a new course?

I don't know how anyone is going to want to count it.  The old 10th-15th holes have been revived and are back in play.  The rest of it will be new, all but one of them on new parcels that are adjacent.  [Part of the original 18th hole is being used for the new 16th.]

Ben Stephens

« Reply #148 on: July 30, 2024, 01:17:01 PM »
Near me those I have played that are NLE

Stapleford Park - designed by Tom Mackenzie closed just before Covid
North Luffenham - a former RAF base quirky 9 hole course with 11 greens!

Those I didn't play near me

Park Hill Golf Club - now Leicester City FC training ground with 9 holes spread out on the perimeter
Cottesmore - like North Luffenham a 9 hole course that I didn't get to play on
Stoke Albany - Hawtree designed course

The numbers playing golf in my area has gone up meaning that there is quite a bit of traffic on the current golf courses

Simon Barrington

« Reply #149 on: July 31, 2024, 02:17:06 PM »
As per Ben, Stapleford Park

Also Apache Stronghold, so enjoyed this back c.1999, well worth the drive up into the hills, I hear rumours (perhaps hopeful) I think from Jim Urbina (on Feed the Ball) that there may be a move to get some holes back into play? Do hope so I loved it.

And not played but found, I recently visited with an intrepid group of enthusiasts led by the "The Links Diary" team Holy Island.
Where there was up until 1950s a wonderful organic 9-Hole course laid out by James Braid in 1907.

It is upon some of the best land I have ever seen, and included a punchbowl, a green with a "pronounced knob" (as per "Advanced Golf", and later used by Travis) and a back-to-back double-green (Braid's first, the second is at Henley GC, Oxon).

The team found approximate tee positions, from maps and several of the green sites were still evident by the differing agronomy.

I have rarely smiled so much and can appreciate how the team that did Askernish must have felt.

Apparently Scott MacPherson has previously investigated getting it back into use, but the site is now managed by Natural England and a SSSI.

Would be an incredible project. Photo's via this post on "X"

https://x.com/thelinksdiary/status/1789285045284356253

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back