News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

Any 5th Major at Dismal River for 2018?
« on: April 22, 2018, 12:34:08 PM »
Looking through some old threads and stumbled onto the 5th major which appears to have been played for several years, but maybe was last played in 2016?  Any plans on this coming back as it looks like a cool event.  I'm scheduled to play Dismal in August presently and excited about it.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Doug Lionberger

Re: Any 5th Major at Dismal River for 2018?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 12:43:21 PM »
Jeff - I was searching for the same yesterday as was hoping to participate and found the below website.  It looks like it was moved to Palmetto this year and already held.

https://www.5thmajor.com/history

Doug

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 01:22:32 PM »
A long time poster Tom Huckaby would host an after party at Sand Hills following the 5th Major when it was located at Dismal. He is still a registered member here and I'm sure would appreciate a contact. He's one of the good ones!!!

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 09:39:39 PM »
I believe the host of the 5th Major is no longer a member at Dismal River, hence the change in venue.  It is a special place, I'm glad I had the chance to visit twice and appreciate the generosity offered to the GCA group.

Tyler

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 10:16:36 PM »
Jeff - I was searching for the same yesterday as was hoping to participate and found the below website.  It looks like it was moved to Palmetto this year and already held.

https://www.5thmajor.com/history

Doug
Palmetto Dunes Resort on Hilton Head... VERY different than Palmetto Golf Club.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 08:18:41 AM »
I believe the host of the 5th Major is no longer a member at Dismal River, hence the change in venue.  It is a special place, I'm glad I had the chance to visit twice and appreciate the generosity offered to the GCA group.

Tyler
I was sad to learn no more 5th Majors at Dismal River. It was a heck of an event! Eric throws a good party!!!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 09:16:22 AM »
It was a heck of an event! Eric throws a good party!!!

We've always tried to have fun no matter the venue, Cap'n! Next year will be the 20th annual and we're returning to where it all started back in the 90's down on Hilton Head. Just older and fatter - and far worse players than we were back then.

One of the original crew members, Mike Denny, who was a dear friend and fellow golf staffer with me there at Palmetto Dunes, died unexpectedly last year which came as a shock to all of us who knew and loved him. We played this year's event back in January at PD and renamed the trophy in his memory. Mike was far and away the best golfer of our group and was a two-time champion of the tournament. He'll always be a part of it. Life is so fragile and friendships precious.

So yeah, sorry I'm not a member there at DR any longer. I hadn't planned to post it on GCA but hey we're all friends here too, right? :)

BHoover

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 11:03:11 AM »
A long time poster Tom Huckaby would host an after party at Sand Hills following the 5th Major when it was located at Dismal. He is still a registered member here and I'm sure would appreciate a contact. He's one of the good ones!!!

You should host at Prairie Dunes.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 11:05:32 AM »
Larry has that covered. I could never compete.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 01:36:10 PM »
Many generous posters on here -- from the archivists like Joe B to the welcoming hosts at some of the finest courses across the country to the event organizers in the south and midwest and west coast and, to name one, Eric at DR. I've never taken up the offers, but they're very much appreciated. They are like JK's valuable Buddy Up movement for happier people with more friends :)
Hats off to you gents
P

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 08:37:08 PM »
This is why when there are GCA events you should participate:

Pat Mucci won’t always be here to put together a symposium in the winter
Joe Bausch doesn’t host a barnfest every off season
You won’t always get invited to play Gil Hanse’s latest design
Ran doesn’t have folks over to his home for jerk chicken every quarter
Seaview will soon have a new owner and who knows what that means
Charlie Rymer does not attend every Dixie Cup
Not every Walker Cup has a tent down the street with free food and beer for GCA geeks
If you hear Bill Coore is going to be at a GCA event like he was at Hiiden Creek don’t expect it to be available again soon
You won’t get invited to walk every Tom Doak course with him during construction.

I too am disapointed I missed a few of the above but glad I made most of them.

Thanks to all the cat hearders who’ve made so many unforgettable events happen.

Proud member of a Doak 3.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back