News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

OT. One last question for Scotland experts
« on: April 18, 2018, 11:01:01 PM »
I want to try to get on TOC as a single the last week of May.

Play Prestwick 1015 and head to Burntisland.  Should I stop at TOC ?

Play Dornoch at 930. Head to Lundin for round next day. Is TOC possible on the way?
AKA Mayday

Michael Whitaker

Re: OT. One last question for Scotland experts
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 11:09:33 PM »
You ever heard of trying to stuff two pounds of shite into a one pound bag?

Why not enjoy the company of some good friends before or after your round on a fabulous course? Believe it or not, there IS something to be said for fellowship.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 11:16:50 PM »
I’ll be sick of you guys by the Dornoch round. The Prestwick round is off the plane with total unknowns.
AKA Mayday

mike_beene

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 11:37:01 PM »
Is there a more nervous first tee in all of golf than Prestwick?

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 11:48:09 PM »
I get focused on the tee so I survived TOC and Merion.
AKA Mayday

mike_beene

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 12:26:34 AM »
Having been through the humiliation of driving it OB on one at St. Andrews and then being told there are no mulligans and having my caddie yell in front of the gathered masses "it's his third shot", consider me damaged goods. That said, hitting a two iron between a train and a bunker with no warmup and the members watching is a challenge. And I would do it every day for the rest of my life !!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 02:39:23 AM »
I’ll be sick of you guys by the Dornoch round. The Prestwick round is off the plane with total unknowns.
When I was in Australia a couple of years ago with "total unknowns" we had a great time and they insisted I join them for lunch afterwards, with a couple of bottles of red from their excellent cellar.  Golf in about companionship.  I'm with Mike W, one less round of golf, one more round with the friends you make playing might have its attractions.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 02:41:00 AM »
YOur best chance of getting on as a single is to get to TOC first thing in the morning.  That pretty much guarantees that you be asked to join a group with less than 4 players.  At that time of year I wouldn't be that hopeful turning up in the afternoon.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 02:55:04 AM »
Are you planning on playing or just looking around?

Scenario 1, off the plane, play around Prestwick in 4 hours, pack up and eat; leave Prestwick at 14:15 and head to Burntisland.  Takes 2 hours to get there - 16:15.  TOC isn't on the way, it's another hour further on.  Get there at 17:15.  Currently last tee time at TOC is 16:10.  By end of May it might be 17:10 or later.  So, it'd be race to get there for the last tee time.  You could check the ballot online and see if there's an available slot in the late times.  Not sure how many people would still be lined up for a walk on at the end of the day.  If you got on, and played in 4 hours (unlikely) and finished at 21:15, you'd have to have supper and then trek another hour back to Burntisland.  Sounds like mission impossible to me, and I've tried many such trips before in Scotland.

Prestwick is a fun place to play off the plane.  I hope you left yourself enough time to claim your clubs, get the rental car and drive down.  I assume you're flying into Glasgow.  It has the advantage of being a small airport with the rental cars handily available and it's right on the highway.

Doing the other direction from Dornoch will present the same logistical problems.  Play RD in 3.5 hours.  Leave Dornoch at 13:30; drive 4 hours (with no stops and no lunch) and arrive at 17:30.  Same issue with whether there are any late tee times and whether there's openings in them.  Lundin is not too much further.  This one seems a little more feasible, but not much.  At least you wouldn't be exhausted off the plane and face as long a drive after TOC.

The good news is that it'd be light to 22:00 to play if you could get there and get on.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 03:00:53 AM »
AS Brian says, TOC isn't between Prestwick and Burntisland, so it would mean doubling back somehow.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 03:08:26 AM by Marty Bonnar »
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

mike_malone

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 07:11:59 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  I expected it to be unlikely.
AKA Mayday

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 07:59:52 AM »
Is there a more nervous first tee in all of golf than Prestwick?

That's what the kummel is for..
didn't even see the train tracks.... or the ball
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Dan Boerger

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 08:18:49 AM »
Mike - I have trip envy. I hope you enjoy Dornoch as much as I did. Amazing course and I was fortunate enough to play it twice in day.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 08:54:58 AM »
"Doing the other direction from Dornoch will present the same logistical problems.  Play RD in 3.5 hours."

Based on recent experience, it is highly unlikely one would be able to play RD in 3.5 hours when teeing off at 09:30. I would expect the round to take at least 4 hours. 

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 04:58:47 PM »
Brian not sure where you are getting your timings from. The last tee time on the Old tomorrow is 5pm first tee time is 6.40am, there was a beautiful sunrise over the links at 5.50am today.
Cave Nil Vino

Jeff Schley

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 05:46:09 PM »
Is it that hard to drive on the wrong side of the road?  Thinking of renting a car (25% chance perhaps), but the tought actually terrifies me of either killing a sheep, a fencepost, or myself!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Kalen Braley

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 05:57:43 PM »
Jeff,

I did it years ago, when I lived in Australia.  I only recall a minor mental adjustment for the first week or so.

But if traffic is as bad in the UK as everyone says it is, then you'll have plenty of time to both think about it while your stuck in it and the slow moving turns/intersections will help prevent any high speed movements relying on instinct!  ;)

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2018, 07:13:21 PM »
Brian not sure where you are getting your timings from. The last tee time on the Old tomorrow is 5pm first tee time is 6.40am, there was a beautiful sunrise over the links at 5.50am today.

I was looking at the ballot times for two days ago and 16:10 was the last group.  Perhaps there was nobody booked for after 14:10.  It seemed a little early considering sunset time.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2018, 07:20:34 PM »

Jeff,

If you start on dual carriageways it's less threatening since everyone is going the same way.  The difficult part is the turns on regular roads.  And where to look in the mirrors.  And, where cars come from on curves.  The major threats are curbs (of which there are many) and stone walls.  Many side mirrors and tires and rims have been lost in rental cars.

The worst problem was dealing with a Mercedes B200 where it took a while to find where the shift lever was for the automatic.  Turned out to be where we're used to having the windshield washers.  I had a number of occasions when I inadvertently shifted to neutral at highway speeds - a little disconcerting.   :-[ [size=78%] [/size]
[/size]
[/size]

David_Tepper

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2018, 07:57:26 PM »
"Is it that hard to drive on the wrong side of the road?"

Jeff -

Also be aware the roundabout (aka traffic circles) are very common on the roads & highways in Scotland. As you approach one, know that the cars already in the traffic circle have the right of way over cars entering the circle.

DT
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 09:10:33 PM by David_Tepper »

Sean_A

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2018, 08:47:27 PM »
I have been driving in GB&I a great many years and I still am amazed at some of the shit parking people do.  Its very common to have parked cars block lanes...and it can be dangerous at times so drive a bit slower around bends because who knows what numbskull has parked a car there.

Once in a great while I still pull out of parking lots on the wrong side...in the US as well...in fact, mostly in the US.  I admit that using Google Drive or Waze makes it much easier to drive in cities.  The Brits have a serious case of sign dairrhoea and it can be quite confusing as to which way to go.  Also, all the rage these days is placing cross walks shy of roundabouts and it can sometimes look like the light is for the roundabout when it is for the crosswalk...be careful...especially when coming down a 70mph A road.     

The safest roads are the motorways...so if you are afraid, stick to motorways and A roads as much as possible. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

mike_beene

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2018, 12:14:18 AM »
Driving on the left gets more complicated with a standard. Not sure if still the case, but you used to have to ask for automatic transmission in Scotland.

Charles Lund

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2018, 12:45:32 AM »
Re: Driving on left side

I've now done 25 trips with left side driving and cumulatively driven on the left side over 18 months.   Locations include Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Scotland, and England.   Early on, I was uncomfortable.  Somewhere it got to feel normal quickly.  Let me share some experiences.

When I enter a highway from a stop sign, I look at both lanes twice and make sure cars are not coming in any direction or approaching in any lane.  I don't automatically assume by looking at one lane only I am looking into the correct lane to determine if the road is clear.  I came dangerously close to being broadsided early in my first trip. I was atartled when I saw a car approaching from the direction it came from.

I have driven on the wrong side of the road briefly.  If there are cars on the road, that helps with turning into the correct lane.  If you are on the wrong side of the road, pull off to the side first and stop if necessary. 

Be careful when you come back home.  I once drove about 100 yards on a road back home after six weeks of left side driving.

If you have driven a manual transmission a lot, renting a manual transmission vehicle won't be that difficult.  I you rarely have driven manual transmissions a lot, you can probably handle it.  There is a pretty good savings when you rent a manual transmission in Ireland or the UK.

Get GPS with audio so you aren't focusing on looking a a screen. Familarize yourself with a map so you have a mental template of where you are going.

Roundabouts are a traffic flow device I like better than stop signs or stoplights now that I have gotten used to them.

Motorways are easier than two lane highways.  Narrow roads in Ireland are the most challenging.

Drive a couple of laps around the rental lot before you get going.  If you have a manual transmission, make sure you know how to get the car in reverse.  Different makes have different mechanisms. 

Make sure you understand insurance issues.  I have a credit card with insurance benefits in Ireland and Northern Ireland.  Many exclude coverage there.  If you have that coverage, bring the letter stating the benefits.  I rent exclusively with Hertz and show as no insurance on my rental profile.  Ireland has separate coverage for theft, which covers total loss if car is stolen.

In many areas, add 20 to 30 percent more time if roads are less developed.

Drive in the daytime.  Arrive early.  If you have long overnight flight and will arrive tired, stay overnight one night and pick up car later that day or early next morning.

Minimize alcohol consumption.  Some countries have low thresholds for impaired driving.  A citation for impaired driving would probably invalidate insurance coverage if you have an accident.

Australia has fixed speed cameras in many areas.  I came home once and received two citations in the mail.  I go there a lot, so I paid them.  Thresholds above posted speed limits are small.  It's not like California.

Charles Lund

Stan Dodd

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2018, 01:36:02 AM »
I would not try to make up time on the A-9.  Average speed cameras were in effect.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2018, 01:38:31 AM »
Google maps give pretty accurate timings, if it says 120 miles will take 3 hours don’t think you can turn that into 2.5 hours, you won’t. Just leave plenty of time.

Good advice from Charles, for me the dangerous time for driving on the wrong side of the road is around a week in when it becomes more natural and you are less conscious. That’s when you need to concentrate to avoid a silly mistake.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back