News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Angela Moser

Looking for Hickory Clubs
« on: March 27, 2018, 08:35:12 PM »
Hi all,

I recently discovered how much I enjoy playing with hickories and I was wondering if there is anyone on this board who is as passionated. As I am looking into possibly buying a set, it would be great if you have any tips or hints where to look or if you want to get rid of a in good shape playing set... pm me.

Thx y’all

Wayne_Kozun

Re: Looking for Hickory Clubs
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 08:52:02 PM »
Look for a local golf historical society.  Here in the Toronto area there is the Canadian Golf Historical Society that just had their annual show at Glen Abbey this past Sunday.  There are a bunch of folks there that refurbish and sell hickories.  That where I got my set.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 09:01:21 PM »
Hi all,

I recently discovered how much I enjoy playing with hickories and I was wondering if there is anyone on this board who is as passionated. As I am looking into possibly buying a set, it would be great if you have any tips or hints where to look or if you want to get rid of a in good shape playing set... pm me.

Thx y’all

If I'm not mistaken you're in Europe.  I'd check out the following link: http://www.golfika.de/

I've purchased my irons through craigslist so I could actually see/feel them before purchasing.  I live in Dayton (home of MacGregor golf) and have a constant hickory search alert.  Dayton is no longer a hickory hotbed as I haven't seen a set in over a year.

I've purchased woods through e-bay but I usually had to buy quite a few before I found one I liked.

They aren't cheap but buying new hickory clubs is an option.  On golfwrx there is a vintage club subforum and Tad Moore, who builds beautiful reproductions, posts quite frequently.  If you're interested in reproductions he puts out his phone number and e-mail out there.  I'm guessing he's a one man shop but when I first saw his phone number I equated it to Bob Vokey putting his phone number out on the internet.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 09:03:30 PM »
Louisville Golf makes hickory clubs:

https://www.louisvillegolf.com/hickory-sets/

From 1900 to 1930, no one played with hickory clubs that were 80 to 100 years old. There is no need to do so in the 21st century. ;)

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 09:23:56 PM »
From 1900 to 1930, no one played with hickory clubs that were 80 to 100 years old. There is no need to do so in the 21st century. ;)
But Old Tom Morris and Bobby Jones played Tom Stewart clubs ... and so do I.

Angela Moser

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 09:47:57 PM »
Joel, you are right. I know Christoph personally and he actually borrowed me his set at the last years championship. Purchasing a set would mean it needs to fit the standards participating Tournaments.

I don’t know what I should look for if I’m trying to find something via eBay etc.
As I am traveling a lot, I thought there might be something on this continent worth checking out...?

Thx

Jud_T

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 11:05:01 PM »
Original Stewarts are the only way to go IMO and fun to collect.  Just need a bit of patience to put a perfect set together.  If I can do it lefty, you ought to be able to do it.  IM me, I may have some contacts.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Angela Moser

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 12:44:50 AM »
Thank you for the hint!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 03:19:48 AM »

Angela,

have you checked out this manufacturer?

https://www.jblgolf.com/

Made in Switzerland and very nice too.

Jon

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 03:54:16 AM »
This thread from a while ago attracted some interesting comments and advice -http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,56777.0.html

Note within hickory circles there is a friendly 'debate' between "original' and "reproduction/replica" clubs! :)

atb

Matt MacIver

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 05:26:40 AM »
I opted the reproduction route (Louisville) as I didn’t have the time or patience to wade through numerous sites and events, and buy four clubs to get one good one - usually the shaft gives way. I think I can play in many sanctioned tournaments, but I won’t. I love them and. It may add the odd relic going forward but I liked having a matching play set out of the gate. Good luck and have fun!

Matt Wharton

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 06:03:52 AM »
I purchased a set from Tad Moore two years ago after seeing him featured on Golf Channel's Morning Drive with Charlie Rymer.  If I recall correctly Sandy Lyle has won two World Hickory Opens in recent years playing clubs built by Tad Moore.  I figure if they're good enough for the former Open and Masters champion...  https://hickories.tadmoore.com/

Cheers,
Matthew Wharton, CGCS, MG
Idle Hour CC
Lexington, KY

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 07:49:43 AM »
Angela, welcome to what could become a life-long obsession...I was lucky to be introduced to hickory golf by the late Ralph Livingston III.  For over a year he poked and pestered me to give it a try and I always relented - my naive rationale at the time was "why make a hard game even harder?"  Thankfully, I gave into his persistence and have never looked back.  I would count my hickory rounds at places like Prestwick, St. Andrews, Ballybunion and my home club some of the best golfing experiences of my life.  Tinkering with hickories in the off season - re-setting the heads, oiling and re-gripping the old hickory shafts, etc. – has become a perfect way to pass the cold slumber of winter.  I'd be happy to offer some help and advice, plus provide you some direction on reputable resellers.  The only caveat is that I've focused my collecting and research on Tom Stewart and his forge...good luck and happy to help...Chris.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 08:36:10 AM »
When do I get to suffer the indignity of getting beaten by you with hickories now?
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 08:45:43 AM »
I purchased my first mongrel set from Dr. Jay Harris (336- 350-9649)The Pinehurst Hickory Nut. Jay has fielded original clubs for an innumerable number of Carolina golfers as well as providing rentals for group outings on the East coast. Through the years I have assembled a very playable set or two of clubs purchased at Golf Collector Society and Carolina Hickory Golf Association flea marketsas well as from Ebay and fellow players. I have a good number of Stewart's but also Gibson's, Nicholl's and others with the main criteria being how they fit my game. I have taken mine to Ireland,Scotland and England.
I personally opt for originals as reproductions may as well be Callaway's (etc) with hickory shafts. Originals have individual personalities and histories: if only they could talk. I also find that the search is much of the fun. No matter how you about acquiring your set you should find someone who can repair clubs as even new ones may have issues given that the shafts are hickory.
If you find yourself in North Carolina check out  http://carolinahickory.ning.com/ I believe that we are the largest regional Hickory organization with tournaments once a month.

@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 09:13:45 AM »
Angela,

PM me some shipping information and I will send you my set. I have a wonderful set of originals that should suit you well. I'm long overdue to do something nice.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 09:36:52 AM »
Well Angela,

I was going to second David Tepper's remarks as I played with hickories exclusively for  two years and have a repro set from Louisville golf and approximately 30 other clubs of variable vintage and condition.  But as John K has decided to be incredibly generous I'll just stand aside and let him make his gesture. 

Good move, John.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Matt Wharton

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2018, 12:16:11 PM »
When do I get to suffer the indignity of getting beaten by you with hickories now?
If you're asking me, the Mrs. and I will be happy to visit you at Streamsong and I am more than willing to bring the hickories.  Or, if you prefer, come again to the Queen City and you can have another crack at Carolina, when finished I'll take you to other Ross courses nearby that are loads of fun with the hickories.

Cheers,
Matthew Wharton, CGCS, MG
Idle Hour CC
Lexington, KY

Kyle Harris

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2018, 12:29:11 PM »
If you're asking me, the Mrs. and I will be happy to visit you at Streamsong and I am more than willing to bring the hickories.  Or, if you prefer, come again to the Queen City and you can have another crack at Carolina, when finished I'll take you to other Ross courses nearby that are loads of fun with the hickories.

Cheers,

Let's do all this! Might have to show you all the Ross down here in Florida there is to see. Hopefully they haven't buggered the former Belleview Biltmore too much.

And I meant that message for Angela, who is quite talented with more modern equipment as well.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Peter Flory

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2018, 02:49:28 PM »
Angela,

PM me some shipping information and I will send you my set. I have a wonderful set of originals that should suit you well. I'm long overdue to do something nice.

That definitely qualifies as something nice. 

Enjoy Angela!  I think that this will help you gain a better context for historic golf design practices and probably also help you relate to higher handicap players.  Plus it is fun. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 02:54:58 PM by Peter Flory »

Jay Mickle

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2018, 10:39:25 PM »
Angela,

Enjoy the wonderful gift and your new to find appreciation for the ground game (at least on Golden Age Courses). Classic architecture reveals itself when played with hickories.
Well done John.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Angela Moser

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2018, 10:57:47 PM »
 :o :o :o  WOW!!!

I am speechless about all your help and especially the offer from John K.

The first time I heard about people still playing with old sticks that are about 100 years old, was through Christoph Meister. He is a very knowledgable person about German and European golf history and golf course architecture. Since my first essay on the "history of german golf course architecture", I was in contact with him and he helped me out collecting the puzzle pieces. Since Hickories are his thing, he invited me to attend the German Hickory championship. That was 10 years ago and he did invite me every year since.

The first person I actually saw play golf with hickories was our beloved board creator Ran Morisett. It was a short visit to the Pinehurst area in 2013 that put me into a flight with him on Southern Pines. We were talking a lot about GCA and he offered me to try to hit a ball, but I refused. I was too shy and too scared that I would make a fool out of myself.

Last summer I finally agreed on visiting the German Hickory Tournament and it was great to meet up with Christoph. He put his hickories into my hands and told me to play. Those were Ben Sawyers North Berwick hickories and I absolutely loved it. Sure I had no idea how much I need to hit with the short irons/wedges, so I had a couple of strokes extra on the course, but all I remember: it was a lot of fun and I truly enjoyed the round!

@ Kyle Harris: You name a date. I am always happy to visit Streamsong - unfortunately it didn't work out last September, but I am pretty sure that I don't want to play the black (and the red) with hickories. There are some beautiful holes out there on the red that made me work all that I have in my normal bag for quite the stretch. It felt like a good workout afterwards. I like being challenged!
I have no feeling so far for the black. It'd be great to see it finished!

Thx yall

John_Cullum

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2018, 06:28:05 PM »
Certainly take John up on his generous offer; however, if you need any thing more, contact  http://www.oldsportgallery.com. The gentleman who owns it is very nice and knowledgeable. He probably has some decent stuff that you could use to demoralize Kyle.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Kyle Harris

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2018, 07:02:55 PM »
Angela,

You bring up an interesting conversation. Of the three courses, I think Black might be MOST conducive to Hickory play...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back