News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

More sad news: GCA member Alfie Ward has passed away.
« on: March 27, 2018, 10:41:16 AM »
I have heard from Moira, Alfie’s partner, that sadly he had passed away in February.  I’ve been blessed to meet many interesting people through Golf, but none more interesting than Alfie.

I first became aware of Alfie from his posting on here and gradually his remarkable story was revealed.   
Alfie lived his golf dream, bringing back the golden days of golf for his local community.  Sadly, the golfing gods would not smooth his way and fate dealt him many extraordinary blows and he had to walk away from all his backbreaking work.  It is a measure of his character that he wouldn’t declare bankruptcy as it would have hurt people who had supplied him in good faith and that he took it all so stoically. Arbory Brae was in the past when I met him but he retained his humour and enthusiasm for Hickory Golf despite the slings and arrows that had headed his way.
Rans introduction to his feature interview.
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,57726.msg1349642.html#msg1349642
The interview
http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-alfie-ward-october-2005/

The next summer I was in Scotland and we agreed to meet at Musselburgh Old. On the day we met a race meeting was to take place that evening. We were given permission to play one round. But of course Alfie’s enthusiasm meant we were having a ball playing the Hickories he’d brought and we started on our second round.  Several stewards were dispatched to remove us as apparently the stands were filling, and we were amusing the early arrivers.    Alfie said it reminded him of sneaking on the course as a kid. Happy days.  I believe it was my introduction to Hickory Golf. Alfie brought everything and of course wouldn’t take anything for it. 
After a few holes he said time to make it more interesting and he produced a gutta percha he’d made and encouraged me to play a hole with it. It hardly rose above the ground but on that fine turf it ran and ran. The sound was louder than a modern ball.   After I’d expressed my gratitude he topped that experience by pulling out a featherie!  If you read the links you’ll discover that one of the villagers had been so interested in Alfie’s project that, despite never having played, he decided to see if he could make a featherie and the result was teed up on a lump of sand in front of me. It was hard to persuade myself to hit it, but Alfie was adamant I should. This wasn’t a museum piece but a ball – just hit it!.  It made a much higher pitched 'click' and if possible flew even lower, but it was a joy to play a running pitch with.
It wasn’t just me that he had this effect on.  As far as I know he only met Archie Baird once. He went to visit him at his museum and told Archie about his plans. At the end of the meeting Archie said if you’re serious about making balls you’ll need one of these and handed Alfie an original mold. “Return it when you’re finished with it, I’m off to play golf.”  I’ve since handled the mold, now back at the museum.
Alfie then discovered that Gutta Percha is still being used for some medical equipment and he tracked down a supplier in Switzerland.  I still have one of those balls that he gave me.  I also have spare copies of the Arbory Brae scorecard that I’d be happy to share with collectors (IM me).

The following spring a no of GCA’s finest were heading to St Andrews to play the old course in reverse. The day before Tom Doak invited us to have a look round his latest course, The Renaissance Club, just after seeding.  That Morning we gathered at Musselburgh and Alfie and his son brought sufficient Hickories, sand for the tees, cakes and a wee dram to start us all off. Alfie surprised us all by wearing a curate’s outfit, it was part of the story he wanted to tell.  It was a great success. Sadly, the photos are missing.
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,28615.msg551216.html#msg551216
If anyone has a photo form that day at Musselburgh I’ll be very grateful. 

Skip forward a few years to my last meeting with Alfie.  We had a match at North Berwick against Ian Dickson and his friend Dick. Alfie had once played off single figures and this may well have been his only 18 holes in a decade, but he hadn’t lost it and happy to say the good guys triumphed.  Subsequent invitations were turned down as he was working hard to re-establish his life. Sadly, we agreed we’d meet again as soon as time allowed the opportunity.

Alfie wrote a piece on Arbory Brae for the My Home Couse section.
http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/arbory-brae/

Also he wrote a book about the experience. He’d be the first to admit he was no literary giant, but I treasure it.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0792M2D2B/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Alfie’s experiment lives on.  Peter McEvoy spoke to Alfie at length about the Arbory Brae experiment and it’s no coincidence that shortly afterwards Kingarrock was set up as a Hickory course in Fife. Was Alfie put out? Not a bit, he was delighted to see it happen.
Alfie left us in the month that the authorities announced that something needed to be done about the ball.  Somewhere Alfie is shaking his head and laughing.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 11:00:26 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jeff Schley

Re: More sad news: GCA member Alfie Ward has passed away.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 10:43:46 AM »
RIP Alfie
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Jim Franklin

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 10:50:40 AM »
Sounds like a character. RIP Alfie.
Mr Hurricane

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 11:18:17 AM »

Alfie’s experiment lives on.  Peter McEvoy spoke to Alfie at length about the Arbory Brae experiment and it’s no coincidence that shortly afterwards Kingarrock was set up as a Hickory course in Fife. Was Alfie put out? Not a bit, he was delighted to see it happen.
Alfie left us in the month that the authorities announced that something needed to be done about the ball.  Somewhere Alfie is shaking his head and laughing.

"First guy through the wall, always gets bloodied, always." - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D59Oh8sQFSM

I had a number of exchanges with Alfie over the years, and I really wish I could have met him. Wonderful man with a wonderful mission. I honestly believe that the short course renaissance we are seeing is at least in part due to Alfie.

Tony,

Thanks for your wonderful post, IM sent.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 12:20:46 PM »
Thanks for the post Tony. Condolences to you and all of Alfie's friends and family.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 12:56:52 PM »
RIP Alfie.
Thanks Tony-great narrative.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

MCirba

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 12:58:33 PM »
Godspeed Alfie.

Thanks for that amazing, inspiring account Tony.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 02:06:25 PM »
Nice words, Mr M.

A suitable wee Scottish Toast for Alfie:
“Here’s tae us,
Wha’s like us,
Damn few,
And they’re a’ died,
Mair’s the pity”

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 05:04:48 PM »
Sad, Sad news. A man who genuinely bought great spirit to the game.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 09:32:42 PM »
Thanks for Posting.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 09:26:54 AM »
Great stories, Tony. 

RIP Alfie.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

George Pazin

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 03:28:34 PM »
As disappointed as I am to have not been able to travel to the courses I seek, I'm sadder still each time I read of a poster I haven't met. Nice thoughts, Tony, hope I get to meet you someday.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Niall C

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 10:26:56 AM »
Tony

Many thanks for passing on the sad news of Alfies death. I've heard you speak of Alfie often and tell the story of your games together, and his great enthusiasm for the history of the game. A kindred spirit to us both I think, and I only wish I'd shared some time with him. Hopefully his family will read your OP and the subsequent posts and take some measure of comfort from knowing that he touched even those he hadn't met.

Niall 

James Bennett

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 10:11:26 PM »
Tony M

thanks for the post, and thanks for organising the game at Musselburgh Old back in 2007 with Alfie - it is a visit I often reflect upon, even though I only played a handful of shots that day.  That first strike of a hickory with an old ball and getting the shot airborne is a genuine thrill.

I think I have some photos from that day, on another drive.  I'll try to find them and forward via your email.

RIP Alfie

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2018, 10:20:02 AM »
Thanks for the memories, Tony. I met Alfie twice and the first time we played Leadhills an extraordinarily primitive course high in the hills off the M74. It's 9 holes but full of mad character. He had me play it with old clubs and balls. I couldn't hit over 150 yards with this kit which made it quite a tough course. He also took me to see the remains of Arbory Brae and also the one-time course at Crawford. With his expert eye you could still make out parts of the old course which had quite a standing in its day.

The other occasion was at a contemporary course near Lanark, Mouse Valley. I used contemporary clubs and balls, but my skills were sinking fast by this time.

He was a very kind man. I am glad I met him.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back