News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

BHoover

Re: 2028 Ryder Cup at Hazeltine
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 10:08:38 AM »
Because Minnesota in September/October is spectacular. This is awesome.

I also think the fact the PGA is taking the PGA Championship to May means the Midwest should get more Ryder Cup venues going forward.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 10:10:11 AM by BHoover »

Jeff Schley

"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 10:14:51 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time an Ryder Cup on US soil has returned to a venue that's already hosted it.

For that purpose, and that purpose alone, I'm not a huge fan.  Could love to see a new venue somewhere get an opportunity to share in the wealth. 

Jeff Schley

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 10:27:55 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time an Ryder Cup on US soil has returned to a venue that's already hosted it.

For that purpose, and that purpose alone, I'm not a huge fan.  Could love to see a new venue somewhere get an opportunity to share in the wealth.
I'm not sure actually if that is the case, but in my lifetime yes.

the PGA of America, which runs it, has it's favorite courses.  You have to prove that you play nice with them as we obviously see courses that have hosted the PGA Champtionship (Whistling Straits, Hazeltine) in the mix. 

I loved the inclusion of Bethpage because it was in NY and was a public course.  I like to champion public courses whenever possible and Bethpage fits the bill.  At that time of the year you have some great options to host the tourney.  I would have liked to have seen Kiawah Island before another Hazeltine.  What about Muirfield Village?  Or go to So Cal for anyone of a number of courses (LACC, Riv, Torrey Pines, or out of the box Shawdow Creek).
- Steve Prefontaine

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 10:29:22 AM »

I also think the fact the PGA is taking the PGA Championship to May means the Midwest should get more Ryder Cup venues going forward.

You want MORE Ryder Cups played in the midwest? With Whistling Straits hosing in 2020, that will make 4 of the last 5 being held in the midwest! How many more do you want?

How about they take the cup deeper into the south. Outside of Valhalla, If you could call that the south, it's been nearly 30 years since the last time the cup was played in the south.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 10:36:10 AM »
Interesting. Why the rush to get back to Hazeltine?

2020: Whistling Straits
2024: Bethpage
2028: Hazeltine
2032: Olympic Club

1. Money. Every time the Open, PGA or Ryder Cup goes to Hazeltine, they set revenue records.
2. Ease of infrastructure. Hazeltine is still on the far outskirts of Minneapolis, with plenty of room for tents, cars, people, equipment and concessions.
3. Rabid (but relatively well behaved) spectators. Minnesota does not have a regular PGA Tour stop, so the majors are treated like Super Bowls by the local golf fans. Yes, there were some obnoxious characters in the gallery in 2016, but Bethpage will probably make those crowds look like church choirs.
4. As Brian mentioned, weather. You could not possibly improve on the three days of autumn sunshine experienced in 2016.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 10:45:26 AM »
The PGA is really no different than the USGA in that there are only about 25 courses in the country with the infrastructure and scale to host a major. I don't like it, I'd love to see them get more creative like they did in bringing back Merion, but looking at the course lists for the next US Opens its pretty much the same old, same old. The inclusion of LACC and The Country Club is exciting though. That may blow my whole argument  ;)
2018 - Shinnecock
2019 - Pebble Beach
2020 - Winged Foot
2021 - Torrey Pines
2022 - The Country Club
2023 - LACC
2024 - Pinehurst

BHoover

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 10:51:07 AM »

You want MORE Ryder Cups played in the midwest? With Whistling Straits hosing in 2020, that will make 4 of the last 5 being held in the midwest! How many more do you want?

How about they take the cup deeper into the south. Outside of Valhalla, If you could call that the south, it's been nearly 30 years since the last time the cup was played in the south.

Yes, I want more Midwest-hosted Ryder Cups.

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 11:01:39 AM »
Oakland Hills has gone MIA. Unfortunate for golf fans in MI.
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

PCCraig

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 11:03:54 AM »
Interesting. Why the rush to get back to Hazeltine?

12 years is a rush?  ;)

I think the reason Hazeltine gets another Ryder Cup is that it is located in a very economically rich area, with more Fortune 1000 companies per capita than anywhere in the United States. Hazeltine has a massive amount of surrounding land and infrastructure which allows for those companies to build huge areas of hospitality tents. And in late September, there isn't a better place weather-wise in the continental United States as evidenced by the unreal weather a couple years ago (and at the Mashie exactly one year prior to that).

The golf course gets knocked all the time by folks on here based on the RTJ heritage, but it is a fine golf course that is getting much better under the watchful eye of our own Chris Tritabaugh. Chris and his team had the golf course playing perfectly two years ago and I'm sure that is a major factor in the decision to return as well.

It's a nice place populated by nice people who love golf and know how to make a visitor feel welcome...it's not much of a surprise to me that the Ryder Cup is returning.
H.P.S.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 11:28:47 AM »
The PGA is really no different than the USGA in that there are only about 25 courses in the country with the infrastructure and scale to host a major. I don't like it, I'd love to see them get more creative like they did in bringing back Merion, but looking at the course lists for the next US Opens its pretty much the same old, same old. The inclusion of LACC and The Country Club is exciting though. That may blow my whole argument  ;)
2018 - Shinnecock
2019 - Pebble Beach
2020 - Winged Foot
2021 - Torrey Pines
2022 - The Country Club
2023 - LACC
2024 - Pinehurst

Ryan Agreed,

But one of these things is not like the others.....

Andy Ryall

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 09:43:45 PM »
Unlike the weather for the Super Bowl, which was miserable, even for MN standards, the 2016 RC was a spectacular autumn week The scale, infrastructure and experience of the area to handle the event plus to Pat C’s point about the corporate presence within the Twin Cities, all help drive the decision.   Expense savings can’t hurt when compared to Medinah, Bethpage or a place like Harding Park.

Living here, this is great news but would like to see some different venues/cities get in the mix.   

Lots of time to debate the decision before the first tee goes in the ground.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 10:06:11 PM »
Jeff:

They won't do the Ryder Cup on the west coast because of the time difference to the U.K. They want the matches in prime time not the middle of the night.

But you can bet the bank they'll go to Texas once their new HQ is complete.  I think they were looking at 2028 for that but aren't sure it will be ready.

Evan_Green

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 09:27:48 AM »
Jeff:

They won't do the Ryder Cup on the west coast because of the time difference to the U.K. They want the matches in prime time not the middle of the night.

But you can bet the bank they'll go to Texas once their new HQ is complete.  I think they were looking at 2028 for that but aren't sure it will be ready.

Tom  - Olympic Club has been announced for 2032 Ryder Cup...

Mike Schott

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 09:52:41 AM »

It last hosted in 2004. Why be surprised it has not yet been reconsidered? It's also not as highly rated as in the past.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 09:59:27 AM »
Jeff:

Tom  - Olympic Club has been announced for 2032 Ryder Cup...

I don't think the world will make it that long with Trump in office is the assumption perhaps? End of days.   ;D
- Steve Prefontaine

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 03:21:25 PM »

It last hosted in 2004. Why be surprised it has not yet been reconsidered? It's also not as highly rated as in the past.

Yeah because golf course ratings determines who gets and who doesn't get future championships.  ::)

Yes, I'm actually surprised that OH hasn't been named for a US Open, PGA and/or Ryder Cup considering that the Ryder Cup venues are confirmed until 2032, PGA until 2023 and US Open until 2024. This means a wait of > 15 years between major events. Previously, the longest wait OH has had was 13 years. (1937 US Open - 1951 US Open)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 03:23:27 PM by Ryan Taylor »
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back