News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

Austin CC is very chopped up
« on: March 23, 2018, 06:27:35 PM »
While I love Pete Dye, this piece or property must have took some imagination.  Wow.  Huge rock retaining walls everywhere and it seems like all the holes play downhill, but never uphill.  There must be some huge walks between green to tee.  Doesn't it seem holes are either downhill or flat?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Edward Glidewell

Re: Austin CC is very chopped up
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 08:13:49 PM »
While I love Pete Dye, this piece or property must have took some imagination.  Wow.  Huge rock retaining walls everywhere and it seems like all the holes play downhill, but never uphill.  There must be some huge walks between green to tee.  Doesn't it seem holes are either downhill or flat?

I was just telling a friend earlier today that, at least on TV, it does not look like a very fun course to play. Seems to me like it would be a defensive slog. However, I'm aware it could look significantly different in person.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 08:59:27 PM »
I feel like this is one of the best looking, and must fun courses to watch the pros tackle. It's unlike any other course we see every year on tour.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

BHoover

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 10:17:32 PM »
I feel like this is one of the best looking, and must fun courses to watch the pros tackle. It's unlike any other course we see every year on tour.

I agree. It looks like it would be really fun to play.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 11:24:09 PM »
Camera angles distort everything.  Golf courses never actually look like they look on teevee...so no sense in judging them that way.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 11:53:21 PM »
It's a very enjoyable course and I think there's pretty wide agreement on this from people who have played it. Much of the uphill occurs green-to-tee. There are two sigificantly uphill holes, #8 and #16 as they're played this week.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 02:49:42 AM »
I really love the look of the course as well for all the downhill holes.  I remember Gary Player saying if you think about all the great holes in the world, there are very few that play uphill.  Many play downhill for the optics of the hole look so striking.  That is how I feel about ACC, although it has to be a tough walk, because at some point you have to go uphill.

BTW Dustin Johnson hit the longest drive ever in the shotlink era at 489 yards at the downhill #12!  WWWWOOOOWWWW.  Golf channel didn't catch it on camera  :( .  Apparently won't count officially as a record for as it isn't a stroke play event.  But wow this is I think 60-70 yards further than the next longest guy in the field so I would say he connected.
- Steve Prefontaine

Matt Kardash

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 09:27:51 AM »
The hole plays wayyyy downhill, and I think he hit the road which crosses the fairway
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Pat Alpaugh

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 10:04:34 AM »
Agree with you Mr. Schley.  If I had my way, the only time I'd every play uphill was when I reached the green  ;D

Carl Rogers

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 09:27:14 PM »
What strikes me about the course is the huge number of retaining walls with very large boulders.  The boulders look to be a veneer.  A lot more structure would be required to hold up that much soil.  A lot of heavy crane work would required over difficult terrain.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

mike_beene

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 11:42:21 PM »
Every poisonous creature known to man roams in those hazards. The hill country is pretty but harsh. To me it is the right kind of property for a Pete Dye design. The boat docks and walls on the river sure don't look natural.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 11:33:21 AM »

Just my observation...

But have Pete Dye designs ever looked natural?  Outside of Harbour Town, which sorta fits in....his designs with volcano bunkers and loads of straight lines have always seemed to stick out instead of blending in...

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 12:07:27 PM »
Didn't Rod Whitman do some renovation work there?  How much did he change?

Rich Goodale

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 03:03:12 PM »
Best venue and tunamint I have seen in a a long time.  Give us more, please, Tour.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Dan Kelly

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 05:02:03 PM »
Best venue and tunamint I have seen in a a long time.  Give us more, please, Tour.

Just on principle, Rihc, I hate to agree with you 100%. But I do.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jeff Schley

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2019, 01:40:58 PM »
Watching the match play right now and the greens are really looking perfect. The wind is really a factor and with the tilt in the fairways quite a bit are collecting off the fairway.  I like they aren't growing the rough very long as there are enough hazards out there.
- Steve Prefontaine

Matthew Rose

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2019, 06:56:55 PM »
I really like the 18th hole, especially for match play.

It's a little bit too long to drive, but it's so far downhill that it's almost impossible to lay up, and it's forcing these guys to hit those awkward 50-60 yard shots that nobody likes.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2019, 12:19:36 AM »

It's a little bit too long to drive, but it's so far downhill that it's almost impossible to lay up, and it's forcing these guys to hit those awkward 50-60 yard shots that nobody likes.

The guys I've seen actually end up on the green over the years are not the longest hitters. Those guys fly it all the way to the bottom the hill. Guys who are just a bit shorter though will sometimes land on the downslope and get a hard kick that's enough to propel them up the slope an onto the green.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2019, 01:58:31 AM »

The guys I've seen actually end up on the green over the years are not the longest hitters. Those guys fly it all the way to the bottom the hill. Guys who are just a bit shorter though will sometimes land on the downslope and get a hard kick that's enough to propel them up the slope an onto the green.
Yes as evidenced by Jim Furyk driving the green vs. Phil.  He hit a low bullet that picked up speed on the downslope and propelled all the way to the front of the green.  Not many matches getting to 18, but I agree it is exciting.  There are actually a couple other drivable par 4's which I think are very fun to watch.
- Steve Prefontaine

Tom_Doak

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2019, 05:27:26 PM »
What strikes me about the course is the huge number of retaining walls with very large boulders.  The boulders look to be a veneer.  A lot more structure would be required to hold up that much soil.  A lot of heavy crane work would required over difficult terrain.

I can assure you that the boulders are real, and were sourced on-site from some of the earthwork cuts.  Austin CC was built in 1982-83 while I was overseas in between stints with Mr Dye, but I saw it brand new and thought it was one of the hardest and wildest courses I’d ever seen.  Also, crazy to me that guys are driving the 18th (the 9th hole for members).  I can assure you that wasn’t part of the thought process in 1982!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2019, 06:44:56 PM »
It’s fun television watching,to be sure
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2019, 07:06:39 PM »
It’s fun television watching,to be sure
What could Pete Dye do that Colt, Mac, Tillie, CBM etc couldn't?
After dinner he could put his feet up and watch television.
There's a theory here....

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2019, 06:07:26 AM »

I can assure you that the boulders are real, and were sourced on-site from some of the earthwork cuts.  Austin CC was built in 1982-83 while I was overseas in between stints with Mr Dye, but I saw it brand new and thought it was one of the hardest and wildest courses I’d ever seen.  Also, crazy to me that guys are driving the 18th (the 9th hole for members).  I can assure you that wasn’t part of the thought process in 1982!

In working with the Dye team a few years ago here, Id support Tom's thoughts of those boulders are real.

We dug some bury pits here and pulled up a lot of coral rock. Next thing you know, we are saving them to impress into several lake banks for stability and aesthetics. And a way of not having to have them removed. I know this was the case a Keswick with the red, concrete paths, too. Same could be said for Pete Dye Golf Club.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Lou_Duran

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2019, 11:47:48 AM »
The danger of making inferences from pictures- nothing faux about the stone work.  The rock formations of the Hill Country add to the charm and, perhaps, ameliorate the harshness of the environment.  Maybe more could have been done to bench the peripheries of the site (Fazio probably would have done so).

I do like the reversal of the nines for the match play as 16-18 offer opportunities for bold play.  I can't get over the guys hitting driver from the tight fairway on their 2nd shots to the uphill par 5 #16, or off the tee in trying to drive the green on 18.

The first time I played ACC many years ago was in a practice round for a qualifier.  I shot a couple over from the back tees and that has been the best score I've managed in 5-6 plays over the years.  There was one par round shot during the qualifier, and I think that 78 made it.  My 82 was in or near the top half, and about a quarter of the field NC. 5-6 hour rounds.  Brutal.  Beautiful course, fantastic club, a great match play venue.   

Carl Rogers

Re: Austin CC is very chopped up New
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2019, 03:59:29 PM »

What I am saying is that their has to be substantially sized heavily reinforced concrete retaining walls to hold up that much soil.  The veneer is real but only a veneer, even if it 24 inches thick..
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 08:06:11 PM by Carl Rogers »
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back