News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Evan_Green

Arrowtown Fly Over (New Zealand)
« on: March 09, 2018, 05:57:08 PM »
Came across this fly-over of this unique golf course - really interesting perspective from the air.

Take a 6 minute vacation and enjoy!  :)

https://vimeo.com/165830397

Tom_Doak

Re: Arrowtown Fly Over (New Zealand)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 09:20:58 PM »
I love this golf course, but this is a good illustration that drone video is not always the best way to show off a golf course.

All of the little moguls and rock features are kind of lost from 100 feet up!

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 01:07:18 AM »
Great memories-thanks for posting

Yes the undulation is lost and all those cool moguls and rock outcroppings get lost
but what really jumps out is all the trees I didn't even notice when I played because the terrain n and around the course was so unique-and brought to life by unirrigated firmness

a good shot of the small house I rented up on top of the mountain just to the left of the evergreen area as they go down #5.
Cool house and incredible view but a bit scary as you had to go outside and come down outside unrailed rock steps in the dark to get from bedroom to bathroom which was downstairs...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 12:26:31 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 11:51:43 AM »
It looked pretty narrow in both the drone shots and the aerials.  Is this a hard hat course?

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 12:28:42 PM »
Yes to some degree Kalen but the terrain is somewhat of a defense as the drone reduces the siaze of the dunes/terrain features.

They all are now unless they go the Chambers Bay or Erin hills route (BIG)
but evidentlywe're all having more fun now though....
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 12:43:55 PM »
It looked pretty narrow in both the drone shots and the aerials.  Is this a hard hat course?

The fairways are narrow but they didn't seem packed too tightly together.  #2, doglegging down and around #3, is the worst of it.

It helps that the course is short, so you are not ripping at your driver all day.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 04:44:14 PM »
Thanks for the clarification guys.

One thing is for sure, i'm almost positive this course would be up my alley, as it seems to have tons of funk and quirk....of which I both absolutely love.

P.S.  If you're ever up Spokane way and have a spare couple of hours, stop in at Antler Springs.  Hands down the funkiest course I've every played.  Some very unconventional stuff, the yardages are all absurdly wrong, and its super narrow in some spots, but great fun.

http://www.antlersprings.com/

Daryl David

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 08:56:14 PM »
Arrowtown is so great. These are the rounds I look forward to the most on my trips to the South Island. I find the contrast between A-town the The Hills next door amusing. I always wonder how many belt notchers spend a small fortune for a round at The Hills and have no idea what exists just over the hill. No sculpture garden, but so much more fun.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back