News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MMcCollins

Los Angeles golf options
« on: March 06, 2018, 06:54:07 PM »
Hi everyone, 
 Traveling to LA to play LACC on this coming Monday.  Staying in Malibu.  Have the next 3 days open for area golf. Bel Air is closed.  Valley Club is half closed.  What’s are the best in the area?  My list includes Riv, Sherwood, Lakeside, Hillcrest, Sandpiper, Wilshire CC, Angeles National, Rustic Canyon.   What am I missing?  Is there an order after Riv?

Pete Lavallee

Re: Los Angeles golf options
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 07:08:07 PM »
Since accessing the privates seems no problem you’ve left three off your list:

Palos Verdes CC, Golden Age design by Billy Bell Sr. with an assist from George Thomas. Somewhat short but plays longer due to the elevation changes. They just had a renovation by Todd Eckenrode.

Virginia CC in Long Beach, again a Billy Bell Sr. Golden Age design with an assist from Tillinghast.

Rolling Hills CC, just had a complete redesign by David McKlay Kidd.

Ojai CC is another Golden Age George Thomas design a Resort just up the hill from Ventura.

You could combine that with a round at their municipal course Soule Park which was redesigned by Gil Hanse and could be best described as a mini Rustic Canyon.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 07:40:24 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tim Passalacqua

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 07:09:49 PM »
I love Rustic.  Don't miss it.  The variety is amazing.  Every hole is different.  Greens and surrounds are very interesting.  I haven't played it in awhile, but it was always kept fast and firm.  I would recommend playing early to avoid a slow round.

MMcCollins

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 07:37:48 PM »
As a professional, I generally have access to most everything based on availability.  I’m leaning to Wilshire on Wednesday, leaving T and Th open.  I’m waiting for the Sherwood callback for one of those days, leaving 1 open day.   Riv is obvious, but what’s the next call after that?  Lakeside? Hillcrest?  Trump LA?  This is a nice predicament to have but I’m certainly not knowing the ranking order in LA after Riv.  Help...

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 07:44:40 PM »
Although Sherwood has 5 excellent par 5’s Wilshire, Lakesde and Hillcrest would be better choices. Luckily Daylight Savings Time kicks in on Sunday so 36 is a definite option.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Jeremy Blumberg

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 09:20:54 PM »
Stay away from Trump (totally non-political!!) just not a fun course to be honest, although I do like the views.

After Riv and LACC, I'd want to play Lakeside. Have you considered calling Annandale in Pasadena? That's a great track.

Oakmont in Glendale is worth a visit.

Hacienda GC which is a little to the south is an incredible golf course.

El Caballero in the valley is a great course.

Virginia CC is a cool golfer's club--worth a visit.

Rustic is fun, but as others have pointed out, can be slow.

You might also consider Palos Verdes GC--a great George Thomas and William Bell course.

I'd be remiss to not mention my own club, Rolling Hills CC, but we just re-opened and not sure if they could get you out. It's a great and unique golf course.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 09:22:52 PM »
Luckily Daylight Savings Time kicks in on Sunday so 36 is a definite option.

That.... isn't how that works.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Terry Lavin

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 09:44:45 PM »
Wilshire, without question, needs to be added to your trip. It is awesome, authentic and aesthetically pleasing in every way. And the club is beyond welcoming.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Pat Burke

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 09:48:38 PM »
Lakeside and Wilshire would easily be my choices given your location.

MMcCollins

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 10:15:53 PM »
Appreciate all your feedback, perfect info for me to continue the journey. Found out I’m adding Vintage Club in the desert on Friday.  Good week for sure.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 11:32:14 PM »
Santa Anita is a fantastic experience.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

mike_beene

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 11:50:23 PM »
I'd go Lakeside and LACC North

Mark Kiely

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 11:57:07 PM »
Santa Anita is a fantastic experience.

I've heard this a lot but just didn't see it the one time I played it -- with mediocre conditions a couple years ago. Aside from the mildly interesting contoured fairways, I found nothing interesting, and I really didn't care for the setting, surrounded by busy city streets. I'd love to know what you find so enchanting, though.

I second the recommendations of Hacienda and Lakeside.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Greg Chambers

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 12:01:20 AM »
The bones of a great golf course are there.  You have to separate the conditioning from the architecture.  If you can do that, it’s a fantastic experience.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Jeff Schley

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 12:11:06 AM »
You have more good options than you have days probably!

Although in the valley I really enjoyed El Cabellero.

However there are so many great options for just 3 days and it sounds like you have LACC and Vintage already so Sherwood, Riviera I would play next IMO.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

V. Kmetz

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 12:30:20 AM »
...Or you could "get a set" and play Los Amigos in Watts...

Now THAT's an LA golf experience of a wholly different nature.

cheers  vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Jeff Schley

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 12:37:46 AM »
...Or you could "get a set" and play Los Amigos in Watts...

Now THAT's an LA golf experience of a wholly different nature.

cheers  vk

I played probably 30 times at Chester Washington in Hawthorne when it was an American Golf facility in the late 90's.  I made sure to play and be out by dark.  VERY busy on the weekend and highly utilized.
- Steve Prefontaine

Blake Conant

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 08:34:32 AM »
After Riv I'd see Lakeside.  A great Behr routing that's mostly in tact.  A flood in the 20s or 30s compromised the holes that abut the LA River, and now that it's channelized they will never be restored.  However, the rest of routing on that funky, rolling piece of ground is a must see.

Rustic would be next, followed by Palos Verdes.  And if you go to Palos, be sure to stop in and play 9 at The Links at Tarranea.  A 9-hole par 3 with a bunch of ocean views and a great place to have a beer afterwards. 

It may be worth seeing Hillcrest before they shut down for renovation.  Never been to Wilshire but have heard it's good.  Brentwood is a good game, too. 

I would also vouch for Santa Anita.  It's like nothing else in LA.  Cheap, fun golf with some wacky features.

MMcCollins

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 07:39:14 PM »
Trip has been confirmed
Monday LACC
Tuesday Sherwood
Wednesday Wilshire
Thursday Lakeside
Friday Vintage
Saturday Madison

Thanks everyone for the input

Jeff Schley

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2018, 11:43:35 AM »
Trip has been confirmed
Monday LACC
Tuesday Sherwood
Wednesday Wilshire
Thursday Lakeside
Friday Vintage
Saturday Madison

Thanks everyone for the input

Don't bother playing the lottery ever again, you have already WON!  Great lineup, enjoy.
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back