News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeremy Blumberg

Walking vs. Playing a Golf Course
« on: March 05, 2018, 10:24:39 PM »
I've been having trouble reading the greens on my new course and so I decided to go out and map the greens sans clubs today while the course was closed to play. In doing so I walked the first nine and the 4 finishing holes--what a different perspective!
I realized that when I'm playing, I walk to where I have ended up after a particular spot. Walking without playing I was able to appreciate where I actually want my approach shot to be played from, I got to see the best angles to the green, the best places to miss, the nuances that pass me by when in the midst of a round.

Anyone else do this?

Steve Lang

Re: Walking vs. Playing a Golf Course
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 06:57:37 AM »
 8)  JB,

Sure, marked up yardage book, and later again went out with a camera & shot well over 100 pics...  next try walking the course backwards
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 11:40:22 AM »
JB,
Next time start behind the 18th green and walk the course in reverse direction until you reach the 1st tee. That should also give you an interesting perspective.
atb

Jeff Schley

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 12:38:47 PM »
JB,
Next time start behind the 18th green and walk the course in reverse direction until you reach the 1st tee. That should also give you an interesting perspective.
atb

Never even thought of this.  Is this common or a best practice for caddies or players to scope out a course?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 02:00:12 PM »
JB,
atb

Never even thought of this.  Is this common or a best practice for caddies or players to scope out a course?

Jeff,

Its GCA urban legend this is the best way to see ANGC!

Nick Schaan

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 02:33:25 PM »
Jeremy,

I’m thrilled you’re enjoying the course and enjoy ready your comments about the course. I often wonder as we’re building things how many people really pick up on the nuances of things. Lord knows in the two years I spend living on site and working with our team to reimagine every inch of that place there are plants of secrets ;) . [size=78%]I’ll chime in more on the new course later, but I agree walking sometimes opens your eyes to so many different aspects of the course, especially once you’ve played it a time or two. Walking it backwards will unlock even more of the puzzle. [/size]

SL_Solow

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 02:55:47 PM »
Another good trick, try to walk it when there aren't any flagsticks.  One's eye is naturally drawn to the pin and without that influence, there are often nuances that you previously failed to notice.

Blake Conant

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 03:46:20 PM »

Walking is great for studying strategy, the routing, green contours, taking photos, etc.  I don't think one should focus on those things while playing golf, though.  There's something to be said for enjoying the game of golf, the company you're with, and the match or game being played.  If the architecture is good enough you'll realize it without being focused on it, and you can circle back to those things that caught your eye on a post round walk. 

Mark_Fine

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 03:58:41 PM »
Actually the best trick is to walk and/or drive around a course during a heavy rain.  It is amazing what you will learn about a lot of things  :)

I want to add the obvious, please don't do this when it is thundering and lightning  ;)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 04:01:30 PM by Mark_Fine »

James Brown

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 07:31:50 PM »
JB,
atb

As old as time!

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 08:02:12 PM »
I very rarely walk a course without playing it.  I spose I don't much feel the need or desire to "learn" a course when the chances are I will not likely play the course more than a few more times in my life.  And if I do play it more than a few times I will figure things out just fine.  For the most part its not the figuring out which is the issue...its the execution and disregard for what I know is the smart play.   Its the very definition of a recreational golfer.  I learn just as much if not more about courses by watching others play and looking at pix. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 05:40:20 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Jeremy Blumberg

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 09:11:22 PM »
I very rarely walk a course without playing it.  I spose I don't much feel the need or desire to "learn" a course when the chances are I will likely play the course more than a few more times in my life.  And if I do play it more than a few times I will figure things out just fine.  For the most part its not the figuring out which is the issue...its the execution and disregard for what I know is the smart play.   Its the very definition of a recreational golfer.  I learn just as much if not more about courses by watching others play and looking at pix. 

Ciao

Makes sense to me if you're not playing the course often--The course i'm talking about is my home course that I play at least once a week.

Charles Lund

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 05:35:03 AM »

About ten years ago, I volunteered to be a caddie at the U. S. Women's Amateur.  In the previous two years I had caddied at the U.S. Public Links and U.S. Junior Girls, both at courses I was pretty familiar with.  Given that I had positive experiences with both of these volunteer experiences, I opted to try it again.

The Women's Am was at Eugene Country Club which I played several times many years before, in the late 70s.

I arrived on Friday and the woman I was assigned to was arriving Saturday.  The previous year she won the  Canadian Women's Am.  On Friday I walked the course backward, looking at each hole from the green to note fairway locations which afforded good lines into greens, and then checked visuals into the greens from these spots and noticed where they were in reference to tee boxes.

It turned out her length off the tee was similar to mine, so the course set up for her approximately like it did for me.

She had two practice rounds and shot 69-73 to finish fifth in medal qualifying and won two matches before losing to a woman from Spain who went on the win a couple of times on the LPGA.

I found the experience of walking the course backward very helpful.  On the other hand, showing up, keeping up, and shutting up may have been my main contribution.

Charles Lund

Tim Martin

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 06:56:28 AM »
I remember walking Pine Valley at a Crump Cup backwards a number of years ago and it does give you a different perspective especially as it relates to elevation changes.

MCirba

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 08:57:51 AM »
Tim,

I was just going to mention walking PV backwards during the Crump Cup but you beat me to it.  ;)
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back