News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Leahy

Miss Doral?
« on: March 02, 2018, 06:36:32 PM »
Anybody else miss seeing Doral Blue Monster on tv? I am happy they took the tourny stop from comrade Trumpsky but I loved watching the top pros play Doral with all the sand, water and palm trees coming in to play. For those that have played there, was it as fun to play as it was to watch?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

James Brown

Re: Miss Doral?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 06:42:05 PM »
Yes.  The renovated Doral was much more interesting than the course in Mexico City.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 07:02:47 PM »
Anybody else miss seeing Doral Blue Monster on tv? I am happy they took the tourny stop from comrade Trumpsky but I loved watching the top pros play Doral with all the sand, water and palm trees coming in to play. For those that have played there, was it as fun to play as it was to watch?

I only played a previous iteration of the course, and no, it was really not that fun to play.  It got the name "Blue Monster" for a reason.

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 11:57:30 PM »
It was an iconic Tour venue.
Was it a great course? no-not really-but compared to many tour torture chambers it really wasn't that water infested-pre Hanse-then it became the worst of TPC  Sawgrass and PGA National ick...

I certainly enjoyed the older version-pre Floyd-pre Hanse more than the new one.
When I taught at Doral it always look best on TV when watching it a ski resort as I used to take that week off :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 11:14:21 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jeff Schley

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 12:05:25 AM »

I only played a previous iteration of the course, and no, it was really not that fun to play.  It got the name "Blue Monster" for a reason.

I never played it but several friends of mine took golf trips there annually and stopped playing it because it was "too xxxxing tough!"
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 03:04:29 PM »
I played about a month before the tournament, and the ryegrass in the rough was nasty.  I'd never played out of deep, thick ryegrass rough anywhere.  The water hazards were a relief by comparison!

Frank M

Re: Miss Doral? New
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 07:14:07 PM »
I miss it and wish it would go back. After watching one round last year at the Mexico course, I’ve never cared to watch another of that particular WGC.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2024, 01:24:10 AM by Frank M »

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 07:32:09 PM »
I played about a month before the tournament, and the ryegrass in the rough was nasty.  I'd never played out of deep, thick ryegrass rough anywhere.  The water hazards were a relief by comparison!

They only overseeded with rye on the fairways and roughs one year.
Silly.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jeff Schley

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 11:14:54 PM »
Bring back Trump Doral...make the WGC great again.

That's funny!  ;D
- Steve Prefontaine

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 08:11:18 AM »

Tom-
  When did you play it? The rough hasn’t been seeded at least since I’ve been in FL
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

PCCraig

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 08:57:24 AM »
I don't miss Doral in the least bit. That was always one of the most boring golf tournaments of the year.

It may sound strange to this group, but I think the course this week is a terrific change of pace. The courses that the pros visit have become so big...longer, wider, more bunkers, more eye candy...that watching them play a tight classic course with back-to-front sloping greens and sketchy turf has been a joy. Who hasn't enjoyed watching guys actually curving the ball off the tee?
H.P.S.

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 09:00:02 AM »

It may sound strange to this group, but I think the course this week is a terrific change of pace. The courses that the pros visit have become so big...longer, wider, more bunkers, more eye candy...that watching them play a tight classic course with back-to-front sloping greens and sketchy turf has been a joy. Who hasn't enjoyed watching guys actually curving the ball off the tee?

+1

just wish it would've replaced the Honda and the Bear Crap instead

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 10:23:52 PM »
After today's finish, how could anyone miss Doral?
H.P.S.

jeffwarne

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 10:28:23 PM »

+1

shades of Craig Parry-though I think he hit 6 iron from the same distance they were hitting gap wedges

I actually like Kikuyu as a defense-and slopey greens where near perfect putts die off and just miss
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 10:29:56 PM by jeffwarne »

Jeff Schley

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2018, 11:57:22 PM »

+1

shades of Craig Parry-though I think he hit 6 iron from the same distance they were hitting gap wedges

I actually like Kikuyu as a defense-and slopey greens where near perfect putts die off and just miss
That was a great finish with him holing out in the playoff.  I remember a couple things from that week:

1. Johnny Miller, being the beloved critic of players he is, said something like Parry's swing would make Ben Hogan puck.
2.  Parry almost missed his tee time on Thursday due to jet lag and barely made it.
3. He won a car as well and remember him saying he isn't a car man, but a boat man.

Verplank actually was on the green in 2 after running up a shot out of the rough, so had some drama.  Also yeah the 6 iron from 175 or so.  That is hard to believe huh.
- Steve Prefontaine

Carl Rogers

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 07:30:52 AM »
The course in Mexico does not live up to any memorability standard but does seem to mitigate the big hitter advantage.  Grow the game initiative.

The Tour did themselves a favor by avoiding the political baggage of the Trump prescence, tweets, family & etc.  No win deal.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

PCCraig

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 09:19:30 AM »
The Tour did themselves a favor by avoiding the political baggage of the Trump prescence, tweets, family & etc.  No win deal.

Don't forget the poorly received renovation of the course in 2014 which brought a number of complaints from players.
H.P.S.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 09:25:46 AM »

Don't forget the poorly received renovation of the course in 2014 which brought a number of complaints from players.

But isn't this population whiny by default?  ;)
- Steve Prefontaine

jeffwarne

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2018, 09:28:36 AM »

There have been multiple poorly received renovations over the years on The Blue-

Joe Schackman

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 09:34:35 AM »
I don't miss Doral in the least bit. That was always one of the most boring golf tournaments of the year.

I agree with this 100%. The golf course may not have been an architectural gem by any stretch but it made for great TV/entertainment. I stress that I'm talking only about the entertainment value as a viewer. The more I watch pro-golf the more I value variety in the venue, as well as format.

A few weeks ago we got to see these guys plot their way around Riviera and that was fantastic.  Now we got to watch them ping-pong their way around Mexico City. In a few weeks we see Match Play. Then they take on Augusta. Later this summer we get a 2-man event in NOLA as well as a US Open at Shinnecock. Variety is the key.

We already get a ton of Florida golf with PGA National, Copperhead, Bay Hill and TPC Sawgrass. I can't say I miss Doral one bit.

John Nixon

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2018, 07:21:24 AM »

Jeff Schley

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2018, 12:35:55 PM »
 8)
That is so cool John.  Good find!
- Steve Prefontaine

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2018, 02:15:47 PM »
I'm with Joe on this one.  Don't miss yet another boring PGA Tour venue in Florida.

TPC Sawgrass is the only interesting one, in large part because its the best major each year based on strength of field...

Tim Leahy

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 08:38:58 PM »

Wonder how much she got from comrade Trumpsky to shut up.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

BHoover

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2018, 10:13:49 PM »
Change the name from Trump Doral to Dave Dennison Doral.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back