News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

I grew up with red - front, white-middle, and blue-back.  It seems many courses are not using this system any longer and always worked very well for me IMO.  I guess they want to put their course logo on all the flags nowadays. Rarely do you actually see the hole # either.

Technology of GPS perhaps both personal devices and on the carts?  Advertising potential?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

James Brown

Re: Whatever happened to the Red, White, Blue flags on greens?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 06:48:19 PM »
Many of the courses in th DC area still do this?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 07:01:14 PM »
Yes, quite a few clubs still do that, and not just in the U.S.  Others think it's not classy, or not necessary, because of rangefinders and pin sheets and so forth.

Crystal Downs has flags that are white on the bottom, but the top stripe is color-coded.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 07:30:15 PM »
Our course—indeed DC area—still does it. I don’t use a range finder so find it helpful in old school way.

Ira

Tim Martin

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 07:36:52 PM »
They seem to have gone away like signage and other vestigages of hole information including yardage. I don’t know what makes these indicators not classy but they are completely de rigueur at many iconic and high end private clubs today. Seemingly less clutter(are these really clutter?) is more classy. I like tee signage with hole number, yardage and handicap number as well as color coded flags and barber poles at 150. I guess I am a shining example of the great unwashed. ;D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 07:40:27 PM by Tim Martin »

Brian Finn

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 07:49:59 PM »
I've always liked the red/white/blue flags as it seems to be just the right level of information for amateurs. Pin sheets are great, but my game doesn't warrant such precision, and i usually lose them anyway.

The blue (200), white (150), and red (100) discs in fairways always seemed to provide ample information for approach shots. I miss those as well. 

The move away from "visual clutter" is one I never understood.  Of course i don't want the golf course to look like Times Square, but simple signage with basic information on tees is nice to have. I've never been offended by a ballwasher or a trash can either.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 08:31:43 PM »
I pretty much ignored the different colored flags. Those that put them out had different ideas of where the middle of the green is. Is it measured from the front of the green or from the part of the green where the pin is?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 08:58:38 PM »
Problem with this is it typically it becomes rote and the progression of locations is front, middle, back or some other repitition on the theme.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 09:05:04 PM »
   We were told we lost ranking points as a classic course for, among other reasons, having color coded flags. What this has to do with architecture is beyond me.  Class? Maybe. Architecture?No. Anyway, we removed them.

Frank M

Re: Whatever happened to the Red, White, Blue flags on greens? New
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 10:30:27 PM »
If a course is too classy to have red, white and blue flags and red white and blue yardage stakes, they are to classy a course for me to be on.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2024, 01:13:27 AM by Frank M »

Jeff Schley

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 11:21:50 PM »
   We were told we lost ranking points as a classic course for, among other reasons, having color coded flags. What this has to do with architecture is beyond me.  Class? Maybe. Architecture?No. Anyway, we removed them.

Seriously?  This is from what publication?  I would think that deserves a letter of dissent.

I"m not good enough to utilize the pin sheet  ;) .  All I really needed is a visual clue instead of having to carry around a sweat soaked piece of paper in my back pocket.
- Steve Prefontaine

Buck Wolter

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 11:42:41 PM »
My course in Minnesota has a simple 150 yard post in the rough with a red, white or blue changeable cap, I can eyeball yardage from the fairway as well as pin position. Easier than changing flags and effective.

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 11:47:59 PM »
My course in Minnesota has a simple 150 yard post in the rough with a red, white or blue changeable cap, I can eyeball yardage from the fairway as well as pin position. Easier than changing flags and effective.

+1
never heard of that!
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jeff Schley

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 11:58:44 PM »

Very interesting, so as opposed to looking at the flag for color you look at this 150 post which changes according to flag location.  I haven't seen or heard of this either.  I don't know how difficult it would be to change the flag color, I can't imagine it that time consuming however. 

But what do you do on par 3's?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 12:00:55 AM by Jeff Schley »
- Steve Prefontaine

Buck Wolter

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 12:15:16 AM »

Very interesting, so as opposed to looking at the flag for color you look at this 150 post which changes according to flag location.  I haven't seen or heard of this either.  I don't know how difficult it would be to change the flag color, I can't imagine it that time consuming however. 

But what do you do on par 3's?

Same little post somewhere on the tees of the par 3's.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

John Connolly

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2018, 12:27:59 AM »
Buck,

Sounds like the 'kahda.

"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Matthew Rose

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2018, 01:16:24 AM »
I feel like 10-15 years ago they were a lot more common than they are now. Maybe courses only wanna order one set of flags now, or don't wanna bother switching them around every day, I dunno. I certainly liked it as a device, as well as the distance markers.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2018, 02:54:38 AM »
Reddish Vale has never gone in for colour-coded flags - until now.

A delivery of new red, yellow, and white flags arrived this week!  :)

Jeff Schley

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2018, 03:08:30 AM »

Ahhh... switching out blue to keep with your logo colors?
- Steve Prefontaine

Sean_A

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2018, 05:02:59 AM »

+1
never heard of that!

+2...a cool idea. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Kyle Harris

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2018, 05:07:13 AM »
I never cared for such systems or any other sort of information regarding someone's opinion on where the hole is relation to the dimensions of the putting green/angle of play. Especially as hole corridors get wider, this information becomes increasingly irrelevant. You'll see this when irrigation heads are marked with distances to the (front/middle/back) of each green. As you get to the edges of the hole, the numbers compress and the information becomes less useful since those yardages are determined from the center line of play - usually from some arbitrary distance like 150 yards.

Show me the target and I'll read the ground from there.

P.S. If you understand a little bit about Military Crests, the striped flag-sticks can be very helpful in helping you determine the location of the flag-stick in relation to little crests, ridges, and bumps along the ground.

P.P.S. I once asked the question on here about how the approach shot would be perceived if all information regarding hole location were known to the golfer without flags in the holes. When you have to use the features of the golf course to orient yourself without flag sticks, you tend to notice things more.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2018, 10:07:39 AM »

Ahhh... switching out blue to keep with your logo colors?

In the UK tees are generally coloured red, yellow and white.

It kind of makes sense to give the flags the same colours for front, middle and back.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2018, 10:55:09 AM »
Buck,

Sounds like the 'kahda.

'tonna they just did this a couple of years ago --maybe borrowed from there

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2018, 05:08:35 PM »
Surprised no one has heard of the color-coded cap on the 150-yard poles. I've seen it at a few courses in the northeast USA. It is a great idea, once you become conditioned to looking for it.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Pat Alpaugh

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2018, 06:08:54 PM »
We do exactly the same (caps on 150 yard posts) and it works perfectly. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back