News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Narin & Portnoo GC closed!
« Reply #125 on: June 22, 2018, 07:28:49 AM »

I used to be very high on Strandhill, but the greenfee has nearly doubled in the past few years. 

Ciao

Sean, I had to go and check what you meant. Because up until a few weeks ago, the absolute top dollar rack rate was €40 and Strandhill was the best value course in Ireland.

Seems like they’ve upped the top rate to 75 yoyo’s... I knew there was outside advice to do something like that but there were a number in the club who were vehemently against that sort of a move.

Ally

To be fair, the green fee hadn't changed much at all in years.  When I played there in 2008 the fee was 40 Euro for the day!  I thought it was a steal.  At £65, it is simply too much.  Of course, with a very weak Pound, golf in Ireland is now extremely expensive again. 

Its the way of golf...more money.

Ciao

Their tee-sheet is very full. Most of the visiting golfers are clearly Irish golfers who know the great value. However, the last couple of years has seen a steady increase in traveling visitors from abroad.

When I was asked my opinion, I thought there was scope to slightly increase the green fee for these golfers. I was thinking more like €50 but the club have obviously been persuaded that Americans only play a course when it is expensive. The big increase concerns me because the club were building a fan base slowly but surely from those whose expectations were greatly exceeded.

For €75, you naturally expect more and therefore it is harder to blow someone away.
I guess time will tell.

Sean_A

« Reply #126 on: June 22, 2018, 08:34:57 AM »
I am not sure why travelling golfers didn't play Strandhill before...being so close to Co Sligo. I thought the course was a very solid Doak 5 in a lovely setting for a good price...my kinda place.  I guess if one thinks the price is a steal it should be higher!  Anyway, I hope all works out for the club, I have a lot of time for Strandhill...but not £65  :D

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 08:39:49 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Thomas Dai

« Reply #127 on: June 22, 2018, 09:48:59 AM »
I have a lot of time for Narin and Portnoo. I do for Strandhill as well and would like to see Strandhill once Ally’s changes have been implemented.

As a general aside, I have noticed that Irish visitor golf prices have jumped significantly in the last couple of years with overseas visitors now paying considerably more. However, members of GUI clubs pay significantly less than overseas visitors do.

Atb

jeffwarne

« Reply #128 on: June 22, 2018, 10:54:43 AM »
I am not sure why travelling golfers didn't play Strandhill before...being so close to Co Sligo. I thought the course was a very solid Doak 5 in a lovely setting for a good price...my kinda place.  I guess if one thinks the price is a steal it should be higher!  Anyway, I hope all works out for the club, I have a lot of time for Strandhill...but not £65  :D

Ciao

It's 75 Euros
I'm not really a price shopper as when I write a prior letter of introduction as a PGA member I'm generally courtesy of the course and my son is usually same or discounted so even at the 75 euros he paid it's a bargain for us, but I totally see Sean's point.
-I really did enjoy the course and surprised I had not stumbled upon it years ago in my travels to Carne and Enniscrone.
Anyone played Bundoran? Did a quick drive up but not much to see from the clubhouse.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Niall C

« Reply #129 on: June 24, 2018, 08:19:52 AM »
Jeff

I played Bundoran once about 15-20 years ago when with friends. We were staying in a cottage beside the course. Generally flattish and open which doesn't make it sound great but I recall that I enjoyed it even if I can't remember a huge amount of detail. I do recall one lovely par 3. IIRC it's a Harry Vardon design and largely what you might call a lay of the land type course.

As an aside one of the other things I remember about that trip is going into town to a hotel for a meal and them playing Christmas songs over the tannoy. It was the 1st of July.

Niall

Charles Lund

« Reply #130 on: June 24, 2018, 12:31:58 PM »

As a general aside, I have noticed that Irish visitor golf prices have jumped significantly in the last couple of years with overseas visitors now paying considerably more. However, members of GUI clubs pay significantly less than overseas visitors do.

I just got back from Ireland.  Rates for overseas players have gone up.  GUI members can play open competitions at reduced rates.  Members of clubs that are part of North and West Coast Links get discounted golf at other clubs.

Charles Lund

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back