News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

Riviera #2
« on: February 19, 2018, 12:12:53 AM »
I thought I might see a thread about how the bank to the right of #2 green at Riviera was cut down to fairway height. I didn't see any balls interacting with it — did it change anything? The hole averaged 4.18 this year, but unfortunately I can't find last year's numbers.

BTW, I still think it's time to call #1 a par-4 and either make #2 a 550 yard par-5 or call it a par-70 course for the tournament.  :)

Pete Lavallee

Re: Riviera #2
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 07:56:10 PM »
It is mind boggling how they continue to call a 3 wood 7 iron hole a par 5! Hell I’d bet that #2 has a higher scoring average.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Matthew Essig

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 02:38:19 PM »
It is mind boggling how they continue to call a 3 wood 7 iron hole a par 5! Hell I’d bet that #2 has a higher scoring average.

Round 1: #1 = 4.29; #2 = 4.24
Round 2: #1 = 4.38; #2 = 4.19
Round 3: #1 = 4.20; #2 = 4.16
Round 4: #1 = 4.17; #2 = 4.07

Pre-cut: #1 = 4.335; #2 = 4.215
Post-cut: #1 = 4.185; #2 = 4.115
Total: #1 = 4.26; #2 = 4.165

P.S. The longest of hitters were hitting Driving Iron, 8 iron on 1.
P.S.S. They were playing off the tee marked as 471 yards on #2 for at least three of rounds, maybe all four. I believe there is one behind that.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Alex Miller

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 04:20:59 PM »
I thought I might see a thread about how the bank to the right of #2 green at Riviera was cut down to fairway height. I didn't see any balls interacting with it — did it change anything? The hole averaged 4.18 this year, but unfortunately I can't find last year's numbers.

BTW, I still think it's time to call #1 a par-4 and either make #2 a 550 yard par-5 or call it a par-70 course for the tournament.  :)

re: switching pars and lengthening 2, I think they will do just that for the next major / U.S. Open.

I was there Sunday and saw some shots kick off the hillside onto the green. However that was no guarantee with the kikuyu and some flat fairway between the slope and green to slow down the balls. Overall likely a good change as it helps the bogey golfer a bit on a long uphill hole, but for the pros it made an easier bail out and produced fewer bogeys overall. If they were approaching with long irons or wedges as a par 5 I think it would be an even better feature. More useable for those going for it in two and irrelevant for the wedge approaches.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 04:53:36 PM »
While it looks like they could put a tee box another 30 yards back on #2, what would the carry over the baranaca be from there?

Jim Nugent

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 08:05:53 PM »
If they let the kikuyu grow -- as seems likely for a major -- how much harder would Riviera play?  Seems like that would make short-game shots around the green a crap shot. 

Another question.  Suppose they took the opposite approach: cut all the rough and chopped down all the trees.  How then would Riviera play for the pro's?  How about for average golfers? 

Eric LeFante

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 10:12:25 PM »

re: switching pars and lengthening 2, I think they will do just that for the next major / U.S. Open.

I was there Sunday and saw some shots kick off the hillside onto the green. However that was no guarantee with the kikuyu and some flat fairway between the slope and green to slow down the balls. Overall likely a good change as it helps the bogey golfer a bit on a long uphill hole, but for the pros it made an easier bail out and produced fewer bogeys overall. If they were approaching with long irons or wedges as a par 5 I think it would be an even better feature. More useable for those going for it in two and irrelevant for the wedge approaches.

Great comment Alex. I really don’t like for the pros now that the guy who hits a poor second shot with a 7 iron out to the right will end up on the green and in the same position as the guy who hits a good second shot.

I think it’s a really cool feature for the average golfer hitting a fairway wood or hybrid since it is such a difficult uphill hole.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 12:35:23 AM »

Round 1: #1 = 4.29; #2 = 4.24
Round 2: #1 = 4.38; #2 = 4.19
Round 3: #1 = 4.20; #2 = 4.16
Round 4: #1 = 4.17; #2 = 4.07

Pre-cut: #1 = 4.335; #2 = 4.215
Post-cut: #1 = 4.185; #2 = 4.115
Total: #1 = 4.26; #2 = 4.165

P.S. The longest of hitters were hitting Driving Iron, 8 iron on 1.
P.S.S. They were playing off the tee marked as 471 yards on #2 for at least three of rounds, maybe all four. I believe there is one behind that.

Numbers don't lie, the rest is just hyperbole.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 05:14:07 PM »
While it looks like they could put a tee box another 30 yards back on #2, what would the carry over the baranaca be from there?

Here's a 550-yard version. The carry to the fairway itself, not just over the barranca, is less than 220 yards from there. They could make it 560 no issue at all.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 06:48:29 PM »
Matt,

Well done.  Then perhaps add a small center-line, principles nose kinda bunker at 290 yards out to get em thinking.....

Jeff Schley

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 09:12:37 PM »
Where is the prevailing wind on this hole?  I think across left to right and slightly in your face off the tee? That can be taken into consideration as well.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back