News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JLahrman

Re: Our Friend Bill McBride
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2018, 04:30:05 PM »

What sad news.   Bill was my partner the first day of the Kings Putter in 2011 on Bandon Dunes.   It was a cold crazy day for golf.   As Bill took his backswing on the 16th tee a great gust of wind off the ocean blew him off balance and he barely made contact when he finished his swing.    What a great laugh we had.   By the time we reached the 17th green it was covered in ice, so we called it a round and headed for the clubhouse where I found a Balvenie Doublewood waiting for me when I came to the table.

I was in the first afternoon group out and we were the only ones who avoided getting caught in the hail/ice storm. All the other KP groups were on 17 or 18 of BD. I forget who I played with that afternoon but we were in the clubhouse waiting for our beers and hot food, and getting caught up on the March Madness scores. We looked outside and saw that everyone else was getting pelted. Ouch!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 04:32:10 PM by JLahrman »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2018, 08:57:10 AM »
Here’s Bill with a table full of 2011 King’s Putter participants.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

JLahrman

« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2018, 11:31:00 PM »

One more story which may or may not have anything to do with Bill. I now have three kids aged 6, 4, and almost 2, a back that's in terrible shape, and not a lot of surplus money or time. So I don't get to play much golf these days. The Sunday after Bill's passing I was scheduled to play my first round in seven months. The weather had been rainy and we were thinking of bagging it but I wanted to play, especially given that Bill had passed on and I hadn't even known he was ill. Play golf today if you can, you never know what will happen tomorrow, etc.

So we went out...and damned if my friend didn't make a hole-in-one. It was with a 3-wood so it didn't quite match Ace McBride's feat with his driver, but it sure did seem like a cosmic coincidence. It was one of the few good shots my friend hit that day; he's not a particularly good player and doesn't play much more than I do (his card started 7-7-1-7). But he hit a beautiful 3-wood for his ace. Make of that what you will. And give me the ace next time, McBride!

Tim Bert

« Reply #103 on: March 02, 2018, 10:10:54 AM »
I don't play that much golf any more or post much on this discussion forum any more, but this thread caught my eye. 

This news really sucks.  I only met Bill a few times, but I had the pleasure to play some fun rounds and exciting matches with him.  I loved playing golf and hanging out with Bill.  He's the best this site had to offer in terms of participants.

Rest in Peace. 

BigEdSC

« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2018, 07:55:45 PM »
Bill was a great gentleman.  I remember playing with him in some of the Dixie Cups.  When I was in Pensacola one time, he hosted me at PCC.  It was right after they did their renovation.  He was really proud of it.

I'm really sorry to hear about him.  He was one of those guys that always had a positive attitude and was fun to be around.  He will be missed.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #105 on: March 06, 2018, 08:36:34 PM »
[font=]Pensacola - William Cardwell McBride, of Pensacola, passed away on Thursday, February 15, at the age of 75. He was called "Bill" by his friends, and everyone who knew him soon became a friend. Bill was a big-hearted man, generous in deed and spirit, who loved to laugh and enjoy a good time and a dry martini. Throughout his life he faced adversity with courage and a smile, repeating his mantra that you must never slow down or stop, but always move forward, "like a shark."[/font][font=&amp][/font]
[font=&amp][font=]Bill was born in Newnan, Georgia in 1942 to Henry and Mary McBride. He graduated from University of California at Santa Barbara, where he lived with his beloved brothers of the Sig Ep fraternity. After graduation, he enrolled in Officer Candidate School, and served in the Navy as an officer on a supply ship in Vietnam. In 1968, he met the love of his life, Kathleen Tennant, in San Francisco. They had three children and celebrated 50 years of marital bliss shortly before his passing. [/font][font=]After a long career in the trade show industry which moved the family around the country Bill and Kathleen moved to Pensacola in 1995. There Bill embarked upon his second career, obtaining his contractor's license and founding Bill McBride Construction. Active members of their community, Bill and Kathleen loved their life as "North Hillbillies." Bill was a Pensacola Wahoos season ticket holder, a Friend of Pensacola Opera, a dog lover and a rabid fan of the San Francisco Giants. He loved to golf and travel, especially to play famous golf courses around the world with his friends from Golf Club Atlas.[/font][font=]Bill is survived by his three children, David McBride and his wife Heather and their sons, Jacob and Owen, Amy McBride and her husband Daniel Tabachnick and their daughter Cecilia and Jane McBride. He is also survived by his younger brother, Robert "Bink" McBride and his wife Pam and their children, Michael and Jenny.[/font][font=]A celebration of Bill's life will be held on Sunday, March 25 at the Pensacola Yacht Club from 1:00—3:00 pm. In lieu of flowers, please donate to [/font]your favorite charity[/size][/font]
[font=&amp][font=].[/font][/font][/color]
[font=&amp][/font]
[font=&amp][/font]

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2018, 03:04:21 PM »
Fond thoughts and a wee dram over this side this evening.
Slainte, Bill!
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2018, 05:53:35 PM »
See you on the other side, Brother!

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2018, 05:56:16 PM »
Oh boy. That smile!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2018, 05:59:58 PM »
Thanks for posting that Michael, good stuff!

He really was a good egg, I only wish I could have got to spend more time with him.

Take Care Bill!!

Matt MacIver

« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2018, 06:48:29 AM »
Very sorry to hear, I enjoyed a few Dixie Cups and post- round cocktails with him. 

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #111 on: May 09, 2018, 10:56:17 AM »
Bill enjoyed Arizona and I had the opportunity to enjoy a round with him on a few occasions. He was kind to take interest in our work and we shared many emails in between his treks to the Southwest. I regret not being here each time he visited, but recall giving him advice on where to play, etc. He was full of laughter and stories...he had a sense about him that oozed golf and the passion for seeing courses, understanding design and the doing it all again!  RIP
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2020, 07:23:09 PM »
This was a special round of golf today that was in the works for 4-5 years with Bill McBride. With a son now in Pensacola, we had the opportunity to play with roughly 20 of Uncle Bill's Saturday morning crowd at Pensacola Country Club, followed by lunch. It was a beautiful day of golf set up Mike Whitaker who introduced me to Joe B and "The Boys":

Dylan and Mike with our host Joe B:

The McBride Boys:

Former Navy Golf Captain Paul M:

Paul with the nice turn on 18 @ Pensacola CC:

Thanks Bill!!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 07:44:59 PM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2020, 08:14:56 PM »
Lovely, Mike.
I’m having a bit of a nostalgic weekend, having met up with some old colleagues from thirty-odd years ago last night for dinner and drinks in Edinburgh.
Now I’m thinking very fondly of my dear old uncle. Tears and smiles.
Go Navy!
M.

BCrosby

« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2020, 10:55:11 AM »
Thanks for posting pictures of the McBride event. Bill is remembered fondly by many here.

Bob

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2020, 09:45:58 PM »
I am crying
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Kalen Braley

« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2020, 10:45:04 PM »
Similiar to Bonnar, I had some Bill nostalagia this past weekend in Santa Barbara.

Couldn't help thinking of Bill on a few occasions, especially when driving on the road that bisects the Valley Club in between my daughters lacrosse games at the Polo Club.  He once cheekily told me to peek over the fence and have a good look at the brilliance of it all, and I did!  ;)

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2020, 11:03:24 PM »
Mike S must've done a lot of things right -- his adult son still loves spending time with him, playing golf!
Bill M I know must've done a lot of things right -- judging by his perennial smile he was happier with each passing year, and his many friends love him still, on and off the golf course.
We're a blessed bunch. 

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2020, 01:25:17 AM »
GOOD ON YOU Mike's.  If anyone is going to Bandon Dunes please PM me and I can arrange a visitation. I will say he has a great view of play at the US Am
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 02:44:26 AM by Pete_Pittock »

JLahrman

« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2020, 05:50:15 PM »

One more story which may or may not have anything to do with Bill. I now have three kids aged 6, 4, and almost 2, a back that's in terrible shape, and not a lot of surplus money or time. So I don't get to play much golf these days. The Sunday after Bill's passing I was scheduled to play my first round in seven months. The weather had been rainy and we were thinking of bagging it but I wanted to play, especially given that Bill had passed on and I hadn't even known he was ill. Play golf today if you can, you never know what will happen tomorrow, etc.

So we went out...and damned if my friend didn't make a hole-in-one. It was with a 3-wood so it didn't quite match Ace McBride's feat with his driver, but it sure did seem like a cosmic coincidence. It was one of the few good shots my friend hit that day; he's not a particularly good player and doesn't play much more than I do (his card started 7-7-1-7). But he hit a beautiful 3-wood for his ace. Make of that what you will. And give me the ace next time, McBride!

Reading through this thread and I realize I forgot to update this story, and I swear this is all true. Four months after my friend had his hole-in-one as described above, the two of us were playing with two other friends. This was probably my second round after my friend's ace. The other two guys hadn't observed the ace so we were telling them about it. The eighth hole of the course we were playing is a par-3. I hit my tee shot and damned if it didn't disappear. It is IMPOSSIBLE that my friend and I each made an ace within 54 holes of playing together. It could only have been the Ace McBride effect. RIP Bill wherever you are.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2020, 02:22:27 AM »
UCSB has lost a truly classy and distinguished alumni. I was lucky to play quite a few rounds and share a horn or three over many years. Just one of the guys who made the sun shine . . . .

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back