News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pat Burke

Re: Anyone else note the buried lede in the Jack Nicklaus story today?
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 01:06:01 PM »
Steve:

I've no desire to go further. 

But, as a fellow critic, I will share one thing I've learned:  one has more credibility when willing to criticize one's own ventures in print, than simply criticizing competitors.

+1

David_Tepper

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2018, 01:57:23 PM »
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 02:38:30 PM by David_Tepper »

George Pazin

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2018, 03:54:41 PM »
Entertaining thread, for mostly the wrong reasons...

I'm too lazy to ever check, but I just assumed Golf and Golf Digest were owned by the same company for the past 5-10 years. Can't tell much difference, seems like a lot of overlap. I just assumed someone owned both and used each in different ways.

Couldn't much care what else Jack owns or doesn't own, either, but it's always entertaining to read conspiracy theories, implied, inferred or otherwise, about stuff no one else cares about.

Carry on...
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike_Young

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2018, 08:33:04 PM »
I keep hearing Golf Digest will be digital only by end of year.  Lots of maneuvering going on with all the podcasting etc.  Seems Revolution Golf being acquired by Golf channel stirred up some advertisers big time.  Media is out of whack right now.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

V. Kmetz

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2018, 01:28:52 PM »
Mr. Nicklaus announced today that he was stepping away from the day to day operations of the Nicklaus Companies.... "...Nicklaus Companies boasts an array of Jack Nicklaus-branded products that includes golf balls, wine, ice cream, restaurants, beverages and lifestyle items such as footwear and apparel. Just this week Millstein finalized the purchase of Golf Magazine."

Did anyone know about that? Thoughts?

I desire to interrupt the manner in which this thread has been going to ask: Where are all these NC branded products?

...I am usually at several different public and private courses over 100 days each year and I never see or hear about these products...sure a ball once in blue moon...and a shirt now and then...maybe even a club occasionally; I never seen a Nicklaus wine, I've never plucked a pint of Nicklaus ice cream from a frozen case nor ever hear about a Nicklaus restuarant, more than any other restaurant with a celebrity name. 
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Tom_Doak

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2018, 02:05:48 PM »

I desire to interrupt the manner in which this thread has been going to ask: Where are all these NC branded products?

I assume that first and foremost you would find them at clubs designed by Jack Nicklaus, but I have not seen much of that stuff myself.

Doug Wright

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2018, 09:20:19 PM »
I was at an event where Jack was interviewed and he mentioned his beverage line, Jack Nicklaus Golden Bear Mint Lemonade. I'd never heard of it and I've never seen it. I guess Jack hasn't done much to promote it, and that is Ok with me. Sarcastic senior comment: I suspect Arnold doesn't care too much about his brand now either.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

V. Kmetz

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2018, 11:48:00 AM »
For me, a final morphed thread word, brought to mind when I reflected on the original bit and Tom and Mark's comment:

What in Christ's name does Jack Nicklaus need with the horseshit puffery of brand, and venture? He is a paradigm of competitive sport, a decent and charitable man and already prevailed over a golf-based emeritus cottage industry...but wine, ice cream, shower sandals, and sunglasses? Why does he have to equate himself with Tommy Bahama too?

And what for? Would he be any less great, less feted, less rich or less charitable if this effort never existed? Would he have any more trouble getting a plane at private hangar, or any more able to take a multi-million dollar meeting, a $50,000 appearance, a big check to a hospital?

Doesn't he (and all of you perhaps agreeing) see this is as a diminishment of his substance...a diffusion that all makes him more disposable, like any other damn thing, rather than precious?

I comprehend the business marketing opinion that such venture(s) are a vital spirit which makes market economies run... forget the pie chart in this case... It makes Zeus into an undignified hawker of inventory with which he has only name association, which doesn't matter if it sells or not, like any another sandwich-board crier at the intersection.

When people of all stripes decry the loss of institution, I think they are well-served to look at the microclimates like this...Jack Nicklaus shower sandals indeed.

cheers  vk

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2018, 11:57:36 AM »
You may want to take a peek at Jack's career earnings on Tour. https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.110.html It all hasn't been wine and roses for him…financially that is. Let the man earn a living. But hey, he is only two spots behind Dicky Pride.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2018, 12:00:37 PM »
Nice riff, VK - a worthy morphing!

I thought it relevant because the now chair of the Nicklaus Company has bought a magazine that provides him with a very handy url (golf.com), a Top 100 list(s), and advertising space -- and that's about it. Mr. Milstein has additional interests aside from the Nicklaus company/brand, but in that specific context/role I wondered what he might be thinking to do with said url, and best courses lists, and the advertising space. I was curious about what others here thought re: the direction he might take these assets.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2018, 12:44:57 PM »
You may want to take a peek at Jack's career earnings on Tour. https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.110.html It all hasn't been wine and roses for him…financially that is. Let the man earn a living. But hey, he is only two spots behind Dicky Pride.

C'mon JK, that's positively obtuse... you know I'm not saying his living must be made from his putter alone, and you know he has earned a enormous golf-related fortune that will not see a descendant begging for means for decades...and you know I'm not saying it was easy to do...I respect the man and his accomplishments.  But this is just mindless "name -association" of the type too much of the world has experienced...and you know he is not intrinsically involved in the production or design of such products, after an inchoate idea.

It's not his living that's in question...its the living of the marketing/investment capital class that peddles branding bullshit...but its his good name and another good thing rendered as disposable as the next. It's not about the quality and expertise the man has brought his field, it's about advantaging his name for an someone else's enrichment - his name be damned.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2018, 01:05:29 PM »
VK,

I don't understand your anger. In 1985 some investments went the wrong way and Nicklaus faced the worst financial crisis in his life. In 86 he made history winning the Masters improving his life, mine, and every living golfer at the time and for years to come in ways that can not be measured. He can tattoo his name on my ass for all I care.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2018, 01:34:11 PM »
I had something to say here, but now I must go and pour the jar of “Newman’s Own” spaghetti sauce down the drain.....
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

V. Kmetz

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2018, 02:07:45 PM »
VK,

I don't understand your anger. In 1985 some investments went the wrong way and Nicklaus faced the worst financial crisis in his life. In 86 he made history winning the Masters improving his life, mine, and every living golfer at the time and for years to come in ways that can not be measured. He can tattoo his name on my ass for all I care.

I'm not angry JK, just disappointed that he HAS put a measure on it...or better put, that a network of lawyers and accountants and marketing VPs have influenced him to do so...And I agree almost verbatim with his import to my days with golf as you...HE can tattoo his name on my ass, but not those guys.  And its not 1985 anymore...it's 30-35 years later, and he's under no duress or lack of security...why does he need these "limited-edition-no-better-or-worse-than-any-of the saturated-premium-good-life-market" product-line out in the world? At best, it's a vanity I would certainly permit him...but its not even that, is it?

cheers  vk

V. Kmetz

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2018, 02:17:05 PM »
I had something to say here, but now I must go and pour the jar of “Newman’s Own” spaghetti sauce down the drain.....

If the Nicklaus enterprise has the same economic biography of the Paul Newman line, I'll withdraw my remarks. However, you're still free to pour it down the drain; it's a real product widely available for replacement...you don't have to go to a movie theater or rent Hud to get your hands on it.

cheers  vk

George Pazin

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2018, 02:20:11 PM »
Because he can. The only people affected are those buying the stuff and those annoyed...

Who gives a crap about that? It's providing jobs for people, if nothing else, but perhaps you would prefer they be on the dole?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

SL_Solow

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2018, 02:20:18 PM »
I have been in the business of advising individuals and companies involved in financial difficulties from every side; debtor, creditor, investor etc. for a long time and one thing I have learned is that until one sees  accurate financial statements, one should never make any assumptions about an individual's or a company's financial health.  That does not even consider their financial goals for themselves and/or their heirs or successors.  Lots of current examples.  Accordingly, I won't judge Jack or his colleagues.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2018, 03:00:26 PM »
Because he can. The only people affected are those buying the stuff and those annoyed...

Who gives a crap about that? It's providing jobs for people, if nothing else, but perhaps you would prefer they be on the dole?

"Because I (he) can." is not an answer I would expect out of Jack's mouth; it's not in keeping with the fundamental image association of singular quality and achievement (the very one this very brand are looking to exchange) that marks him for reward. He also "can" put his name on sex toys, but none expect it for a variety of reasons, one possible explanation being that he had no special interest or entrepreneurial obsession for a sex toys; another is that he doesn't care for being identified with products of questionable merit or elevating worth .  And whose is buying this stuff?...Whose seen it?...only available on Nicklaus properties...and in the greater Palm Beach.Dublin Ohio areas?  This is a business?

Whoa... now the thing is a jobs provider for those who would otherwise be on the dole?  Come back to us.

Eric Smith

Jim Nugent

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2018, 03:48:43 PM »
I ate some Nicklaus ice cream.  Good not great.  Competes against Ben & Jerry's in the premium niche. 

David_Tepper

« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2018, 04:14:55 PM »
"I had something to say here, but now I must go and pour the jar of “Newman’s Own” spaghetti sauce down the drain....."

Joe H. -

At least the profits of "Newman's Own" food products go to charity. And the spaghetti sauce is pretty good. ;)

DT

John McCarthy

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2018, 04:17:33 PM »
Arizona Ice Tea sells Arnold Palmer brand Arnold Palmer's and Nicklaus Golden Bear Pink Lemonade.  It is available in most grocery stores and gas stations I frequent.

As to everything else in this thread....
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Eric Smith

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2018, 04:33:23 PM »
The ice cream introduction extends the Nicklaus Companies’ efforts to celebrate the life and lifestyle of Jack Nicklaus by introducing quality consumer products, with a philanthropic tie-in. Among the Nicklaus-branded or licensed products introduced in recent years that benefit children’s charities are water, wine, lemonade, sunglasses, and golf balls.
“Jack’s whole life is synonymous with excellence, family, and charity,” said Nicklaus Companies Co-Chairman Howard Milstein, “and our new collaboration with Schwan embodies all three values in a hand-picked selection of delicious ice cream flavors that also supports children’s healthcare. What could possibly taste better?”

George Pazin

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2018, 08:21:04 PM »

Whoa... now the thing is a jobs provider for those who would otherwise be on the dole?  Come back to us.

I know you fancy yourself a deep thinker, but something like specialty lemonade is more up the alley of a regular guy like me, so let me explain how things like this frequently happen.

Some guy is not quite satisfied with his life. And he loves to tinker with drinks, which earns him the praise of friends. One day, maybe after one too many, a friend convinces him he has something worth selling. He spends a great deal of time, usually years, and money, usually his own plus that of a few friends, family members, whatever. He isn't a beverage guy by profession, so he toils for years. Then one day he has an inspired idea: Arnold sells his drink everywhere, why doesn't Jack have one? So he does his research and eventually ends up with a proposal in front of one of Jack's representatives. Maybe the guy loves the idea, maybe it takes a lot t to convince him, but somewhere along the way, a licensing deal is struck. It might be this guy's last chance, but you seem put off that Jack would have a lemonade, so I guess he should just give up...

Heck, the dreamer may have even been a grandchild or someone else, and Jack seems to be a bit of a softie for family.

But hey, you play 100 rounds of golf a year, so you obviously know more than everyone else. Sorry some of us do things you don't endorse or love, that's gotta be rough on you. After all, it has you equating lemonade with sex toys.

I must really be missing out on a lot more than 100 rounds of golf.

-----

Thanks for that link, Eric.

Daryl David

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2018, 09:37:53 PM »
VK,

+1000

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back