News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Cedar Rapids CC course profile added to Courses By Country New
« on: January 17, 2018, 08:22:04 AM »
 http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/cedar-rapids-country-club/

As the stock market soars and something called cryptocurrency creates instant fortunes, money seems to be everywhere.  Some is being lavishly spent on golf course “improvements” - over $17M for one North American project and many more yen by a Japanese club.  Back in 2010, I could not have imagined such investments. Remember how clubs tried to outdo their next-door neighbor with tree plantings in the 1970s? It feels like that kind of one-upmanship has returned with the 'winner' being whoever spends more. Of course, the club member who foots the bill and ends up with a pretty but artificially starched and pressed course is the loser. I want none of it. Golf is played outdoors and the course and how it plays should change daily with the weather. The bane to a course's natural presentation is too much money. And that's where we appear headed today as some clubs try to control Mother Nature.

Alas, fiscal prudence isn’t sexy for the media. I say that because I have yet to read a single word about Cedar Rapids CC and its $660,000 restoration anywhere beyond Pat Craig's initial post on GolfClubAtlas and Vaughn Halyard's October 2016 Feature Interview. Did Golf Digest or GOLF play it up? Not that I am aware of.

Cedar Rapids went from tree lined to something far more interesting. Above is its famous 14th green with a newly installed bunker in the foreground.

Yet, it is a compelling story of how a Donald Ross routing was revitalized, fit for the modern game and with less than seven figures spent. Trees down, fairways expanded, greens returned to the edges of their fill pads, bunkers added, bunkers restored and even some flood control added in for good measure. Cedar Rapids has to be one of Ron Prichard’s crowning achievements in an illustrious career. Tyler Rae has worked with Ron since 2011 and together, they are charging ahead by replicating the Cedar Rapids in-house methodology at three more courses. I say Hallelujah!  Great work for a reasonable amount of money - what's not to like? Not every club has a Tom Feller as their Greenkeeper so an in-house project isn't for everyone. Nonetheless, it is a mighty attractive solution and one that deserves much more air play.

The above is my favorite photograph from 2017. Why? It's pretty and everything but there is a story behind it. I was wandering along the 15th fairway at Cedar Rapids with Head Golf Professional, Dustin Toner, and remarked that it would be nice to find a perspective to show the bend in Indian Creek. I didn’t see a way to get to other side of the creek (the right side) that tracks along that fairway. As I surveyed the situation, I heard this loud splash where Dustin had just thrown/relocated a large rock into the creek. He then hurled another further into the creek, turned and said, ‘There - come over here, cross and you can get out to those stepping stones and perhaps get a decent angle.’ The incident perfectly encapsulates the can-do spirit that pervades Cedar Rapids CC.

The Cedar Rapids transformation is a compelling story highlighted by smart work and uncommon wisdom. I hope we get to chronicle MANY more like it but that would necessitate a serious re-set at private clubs who feel that splashing money about creates status.

Best,
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 10:54:29 AM by Ran Morrissett »

PCCraig

Re: Cedar Rapids CC course profile added to Courses By Country
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 11:38:33 AM »
A terrific write up, as always, Ran.

I first visited Cedar Rapids CC back in the summer of 2016 while driving through town on a work trip. I am very glad I made the effort to see the course as I found it to be awesome. As you describe well, each hole is unique and there are so many distinct features that the course just becomes a joy to play.

When Mr. Feller told me what he spent on the renovation, I think my eyes popped out of my head. As mentioned it was a fiscally responsible budget but the results are anything but conservative. Cedar Rapids should be the model for any classic club across the country looking to restore their golf course. Between talking to Tom Feller, Dustin Toner, and Vaughn, you can truly feel the appreciation everyone at the club has for their classic golf course and for golf course architecture in general. That is certainly rare but wonderful to encounter. After my round, Dustin Toner took me around the clubhouse pointing out old pictures of the course, discussing the architectural history of the club, and even pulling out Ron Prichard's handmade drawings of the greens. How cool is that?

Last year's Midwest Mashie was successfully hosted by Vaughn, Tom, Dustin, and Cedar Rapids CC. It would be great to hear others thoughts on the course.

Cedar Rapids is just an awesomely fun golf course and a great club. Congratulations to everyone involved on the completion of the successful project.

H.P.S.

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 01:50:02 PM »
A well-deserved write-up of a terrific golf course. 

V_Halyard

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 06:53:15 PM »
oh.my

On behalf of the CRCC battle team and membership, we are so honored to be the subject of such a wonderful Courses by Country overveiw by Mr. Morrisette. To be recognized in the company of this outstanding GCA grouping of great golf architecture is humbling. Thank you Ran, Joe, Chris, Jason Topp, Jeff Shelman, Jack Crisham, the 2017 Midwest Mashie crew and especially Pat Craig for visiting, playing, sharing and evangelizing.

I would like to note that Brad Klein frequently travelled to visit us in Middle Earth and give a nod in his Golf Week Donald Ross Golden Oldies in '16. I belive this Pre-Gannett link still works:http://www.mydigitalpublication.com/publication/?i=343493&article_id=2554431#

BK was an early supporter, going back to the early 2000's. It was "early days" and membership almost turned a fire hose on him for proposing it was time to; "cut?!...   trees?!".   He was also part of our corps of "Expert Witnesses" and gave a number of very detailed supporting presentations (and testimony under cross-examination)  to our membership.

Vaughn
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:37:24 PM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

CJames

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 08:24:03 PM »
Back in 1992 when I moved from Chicago to Cedar Rapids for a job, I recall thinking that I was going to the end of the earth.  And a flat earth at that.  I quickly realized that Iowa, or at least eastern Iowa, was remarkably more interesting and topographically varied than anything I ever saw in Illinois.  The photos accompanying the CRCC profile are Exhibit A.  Vaughn, I promise to someday take you up on your gracious offer to experience your wonderful club.  A day with you and the inimitable Calvin Norris will make for wonderful day.

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 09:47:03 AM »
During my whirlwind 4-day Iowa adventure last year, I got to see some amazing golf. The biggest surprise to me overall was the land. People think Midwest and they automatically assume flat. No one who has visited Cincinnati will say anything about flat. In fact, some areas in NW Ohio get pretty hilly as well.

I suspected Davenport would have some undulation being by the river, but I never expected Des Moines to be as hilly as it was. The land at Wakonda has to be seen to be believed. Even Des Moines G&CC has quite a bit of elevation. The hike up 7 on the North course, my 25th hole of the day, was when I started to cramp hard.

The land at Cedar Rapids CC was my third biggest surprise of CRCC. When the pro at Wakonda was warning me about the 18th at CRCC, especially after playing the 18th at Wakonda (a very uphill hole), I knew I had to adjust my expectations. My drive from Des Moines to Davenport was anything but flat. I was later told that the flat land is really Western Iowa.

The first two surprises were what the renovation team was able to do, and especially for the cost they were able to do it. I had a few discussions with members at DMG&CC about the work that Liddy and team did there. It was all very good, but it certainly came with a price.

CRCC's renovation is a model that all clubs should aspire to if they have the right people to do it. My club is doing some small nip and tuck this year based on recommendations from Hurdzan. It's a fraction of the overall list of reco's, but I'm appreciative of the membership voting to approve the work (with a small, temporary dues increase). Some question the cost, but then I bring up what other people are spending vs. what they're getting in return, and they start to appreciate more what we have and what we're doing.

As for the course, I think I may have underrated CRCC initially. Maybe it's because I played two rounds there and only one at the other courses, but I'm remembering more holes from there any others I played. 9 is in the top three par 5's I've ever played. 1-5 is a great start. 14 is as unique of a hole as you'll ever see. 18 is just a brute. I GIR'd it in my second round, but was above the hole. My birdie putt proceeded to run past the hole and off the green.  :o

My only regret is that I didn't have another day to check out Harvester and DMG&CC South. Guess I'll have to make it back to flyover country again.  ;)

J_ Crisham

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 10:34:45 AM »
My initial visit to CRCC had a somewhat comical twist to it. I had the good fortune to visit CRCC a few years ago as the restoration was in its very early stages. I spent a couple of days both playing and exploring the property. In full disclosure I am a member at a Ross design which continues to also go thru restoration under the guidance of both Ron Prichard, Tyler Rae his associate, and Brad Klein.  IMO the very extensive tree removal uncovered a remarkable golf course on one hell of a piece of property. On my last day at CRCC, my host and I were eating lunch after our round when a disgruntled CRCC member came up to our grillroom table with a clipboard asking if I would be willing to sign a petition to stop the "destruction" of the golf course. My response was " Is there a rational reason why you would not want to be one of the best golf courses in the Midwest" -"after the restoration is completed you will be". Fast forward 2 yrs later and I revisited CRCC - simply an amazing transformation. It's now one of the best in the Midwest.

Steve Greif

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 02:52:53 PM »
Hello to everyone,

As a long-time reader of this site, it is a pleasure to finally start posting here.   Jack Chrisham, I remember well our lunch where you were asked to sign a petition against the CRCC restoration.  Interesting that I havent heard much from that member about it lately.  I remember you also telling him that you were a guest but wouldn't sign the petition if you were a member.  I about fell out of my chair it was so funny.  We are proud of the result at CRCC, and as the person who probably complained the longest about it, a certain measure of vindication also is present.  for those of you contemplating a move like this, do your research and stick to it.  Look in places for information that you may not have thought about, I found all of our historical aerials at the US Department of Agriculture website (it is amazing what information they have).

Steve Greif

V_Halyard

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 03:26:47 PM »
Hello to everyone,

As a long-time reader of this site, it is a pleasure to finally start posting here.   Jack Chrisham, I remember well our lunch where you were asked to sign a petition against the CRCC restoration.  Interesting that I havent heard much from that member about it lately.  I remember you also telling him that you were a guest but wouldn't sign the petition if you were a member.  I about fell out of my chair it was so funny.  We are proud of the result at CRCC, and as the person who probably complained the longest about it, a certain measure of vindication also is present.  for those of you contemplating a move like this, do your research and stick to it.  Look in places for information that you may not have thought about, I found all of our historical aerials at the US Department of Agriculture website (it is amazing what information they have).

Steve Greif

Greifer Welcome to GCA,
Note that it was Steve here that almost got Brad Klein assisinated when he hosted an early year 2000 Donald Ross presentation by Brad that indicated there was a need to... "cut.trees". 

Funny,... nobody ever asked me to sign a petition... I must have been out of town.

v
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Steve Greif

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 05:56:36 PM »
Vaughn,

Yes Brad K's visit was shortly after I had our former golf committee chair tell me that I was an idiot for claiming that our 6th green was originally square in shape.  "They don't build square greens!" was the exact quote I believe.    SIGH!

Yes they walk amongst us.

PThomas

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 12:40:37 PM »
a truly wonderful course!!!

Had the pleasure of playing with Vaughn during my visit there...congrats to him and Steve and all involved
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back