News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lou_Duran

Re: Streamsong: Which Course Do You Like Best, and Why?
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2018, 11:27:33 AM »
Keith- I have always been amazed with the ability of some folks to generate strong impressions and opinions of a golf course from pictures.  Other than having to be properly ready for the first two holes, I didn't see anything about the Red indicating a departure from C&C's typically strong work.

Funny that you mention being (potentially) put in a bad mood.  That is the impression I got about the final grading/shaping  of the Blue where if a ball had a change to bounce toward the target, a hazard, or a very difficult lie, the latter two seemed to work as a magnet.  Whoever was moving the sandy byproduct, if done intentionally, might have been a bit angry at the time.

I was joined in a very early morning round on the Red on my departure day by a Brit who came into FL a few days before his buddies would join him near Naples.  A pretty solid 5, though perhaps a bit rusty, he had played the Black the afternoon before and was overwhelmed by the seas of sandy material (poor quality for golf in his opinion) surrounding most shots and the humungous, heavily-contoured green complexes.  Wisely, he chose not to render judgment based on a single round on a brand new course.

He didn't score particularly well on the Red, but kept the ball in play.  He commented several times how much more traditional it looked and played than the Black, and, toward the end, that he thought very highly of the course.  He did take note of the Blue course as we were playing, opining that it looked very difficult, and wondered whether he might be better off skipping it the next day in favor of rest for his upcoming matches with his buddies.   I think I talked him into playing the course, noting that he came especially to experience the resort and the Blue is certainly an integral part of that experience.  We both concluded that the courses are better appreciated during the cooler season. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2018, 12:32:38 PM »
I played the Black yesterday and can say with zero reservation that Streamsong is currently the finest resort in the country for the walking senior golfer. I say this because it is a must play for anyone staying at a Disney resort. Buy your grandchildren a park pass and drive on over. There may not be a better family experience on the planet.

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2018, 05:10:19 PM »
On both the Blue and the Black I love how you can use the ground contours on approach shots to funnel balls to different hole positions. It's another reason that I enjoy them more than the more prescriptive Red course.

Very well said.

Thanks, Ryan.   

I also think there are very few places on Black and Blue where you can lose a ball where you can go through a sleeve on the Red by the 4th tee.

Tom discussed this point on the latest Fried Egg / Yolk with Doak Episode 4 podcast. I'd encourage anyone that participated in this thread to check it out - http://www.friedegg.co/podcasts/streamsong I found the content fascinating. I can't wait to get back to the resort in 2019.
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

E P Purmort

« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2018, 09:29:39 PM »
Thanks for posting that Fried Egg content. I'm headed down to Streamsong next weekend and that footage certainly got the juices flowing.

Additionally, I'm glad I live in the age of drone shots and golf bloggers.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2018, 10:29:56 AM »
Thanks for posting that Fried Egg content. I'm headed down to Streamsong next weekend and that footage certainly got the juices flowing.

Additionally, I'm glad I live in the age of drone shots and golf bloggers.

I'm thrilled that I had the chance to play all three courses at Streamsong before witnessing the drone videos. Drone shots are the upskirts of architecture. I'm not saying I wouldn't go there but it changes the experience in not a good way.

Rick Lane

« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2018, 02:12:18 PM »
Played each course once last weekend, in the order of Blue, Black, Red.  Unfortunately (for my absorption of the experience), the wind was howling 25-35 all weekend, which made us focus on even standing up, much less enjoying the shot at hand!    I find all three courses to be very different from each other, even though Red and Blue are connected, which to me is a great thing....three different experiences.  I found the Blue course to be a little less penal side to side than the Red, especially the opening 6-7 holes of the Red, where water and high grass seemed to lurk a little more.  I found the Blue course to ask a little more of me on the drive, with bunkers that seemed to be more in play to my eye, which had me thinking about where in the fairway I wanted to be, more than on Red, which was "just find the fairway".  Blue felt a little more "exposed" than Red, which in places felt like Bandon Trails to me, or something around Pinehurst, woodsy Carolina feel, right down to the BBQ in the woods between 8-9!  Like I said the wind took my attention some, but I thought Blue was more enjoyable and had more variety, even though those half par holes coming home (into the wind no less) were par 6's that day!  It was also quite a bit firmer and faster. But both great walks.  I think I noticed Principals Nose bunkers on both courses?  One gripe was that we got a LOT of plugged lies in bunkers, sand very soft.

And then there is Black, which is frankly unlike anything I have ever played.   To the eye, its like playing golf on the moon.  Huge wide open, bald and bold, wide to drive but then the fun starts.  I am a huge fan of quirk, so I thought the greens were just a ball to encounter and play.   After a few holes, we started to understand the contours (you really need a caddy to tell you in some instances what is out there), and were able to play some fun shots off the contours to move the ball toward the hole. Three of us birdied the punchbowl, with that great experience of not quite being sure where your ball ended up, and then climbing the hill to see that they had funneled within 10 feet.    If I had ten rounds, I would play 4 Blue, 4 Black and 2 Red.   One other thought:  Slopes were ~129?    Course ratings were less than par?      Didn't feel like that to me! 

Lastly, everything about the golf was first rate, the pros on site and the caddies.    But the service at the Hotel is meh....built in gratuity means people don't hustle.....           
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 02:15:45 PM by Rick Lane »

Frank M

Re: Streamsong: Which Course Do You Like Best, and Why? New
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2018, 10:44:05 PM »
And then there is Black, which is frankly unlike anything I have ever played.   To the eye, its like playing golf on the moon.  Huge wide open, bald and bold, wide to drive but then the fun starts.  I am a huge fan of quirk, so I thought the greens were just a ball to encounter and play. 

I believe we were at Streamsong on the same weekend (played Black Jan 29, Red 30 and Blue 31). The winds were nearly unbearable, especially playing very early morning in the cold, but I had EXACTLY the same feelings. I feel Black separates itself from the other two courses and is in a class on its own because of the greens. They are a love/hate type of deal and will polarize opinions substantially, but mark me down as a huge fan of the Black Course..
« Last Edit: July 06, 2024, 01:20:25 AM by Frank M »

Steve Lang

« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2018, 08:52:45 AM »
Have they finished the snack shop on the Black?

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2018, 08:55:02 AM »
Yes, also a couple of unisex bathrooms. It matches the standard set throughout the resort.

Jud_T

« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2018, 11:14:28 AM »
I prefer the Blue to the Red.  Haven't played the Black yet.  For the average hack, i.e. me, I think the Red has several tough tee shots which are particularly penal for the first time resort player.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Scott Senior

« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2018, 01:06:20 PM »
I have played all three courses twice.
I agree, Black is like no other course I have played...the property just felt SO big. Greens were so much fun.
My 10 rounds split would be
4 Black
3 Red
3 Blue

Joe Schackman

« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2018, 04:33:19 PM »
I had the good fortune of playing all 3 courses in November. I wasn't as big a fan of the Black as some but I really enjoyed the Red and the Blue. I would probably split it:

Red: 5
Blue: 4
Black: 1

When asked a question like this it makes me think that there is a "cruel irony" when it comes to these courses. I hope I make this point eloquently because it ultimately is a good thing.

For the most part when I visit a place like Streamsong I get one maybe two cracks at the golf course. But the Red/Blue/Black courses offer endless options & lines of play on each hole. How can I judge which course is superior when I've tried out one or two of those paths? And how the heck can I decide which one I like more? Maybe I play 10 more rounds and my numbers are completely flipped!

I left Bandon Dunes 4 years ago and I just KNEW what golf I liked the most and why. Since then I have read way more and joined this board and now someone asks me this question and I feel like Chidi on the Good Place (we will see how many people get that reference). There is so much to consider when trying to answer this question!

But back to my original point... It just seems cruel that the courses that can be played hundreds of times without being the same are the ones I only get to play once or twice.  I guess it just means I need to go back...

Scott Senior

« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2018, 01:53:11 PM »
Joe,

The Chidi reference is so perfect. Thanks for the laugh!!

Bill Brightly

« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2018, 09:14:02 PM »
Welcome Scott! When we play this summer you can explain Chidi to me :)

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2018, 03:55:15 AM »

I've been to Streamsong more than 10 times over the years since it opened.  Based on that experience, I much preferred the Blue course.  After three times around the Red, I tried to book the Blue whenever I went back.

I like the Blue because it makes me feel more free off the tee - although my somewhat erratic driving doesn't always place me in the appropriate places for approaching the greens.  The approaches are all interesting shots and the greens are a very interesting set that are challenging, quirky and fun all in one. 

The Red, although a fine course, does not appeal to me because the start, holes 1 and 3 especially generally have ruined my mood too early in the round.  The back nine is way too long for me from the Black tees and the front nine is too short from the silver tees.  The solution was to play the front from the black tees and the back from the silver tees.  Even then the back nine requires too many long second shots.  And, there are too many places on the course to lose balls. I do like the 8th, 9th and 16th holes.

If I was to go back for 10 rounds, I think I'd go 8 Blue and 2 Red.  I am cognizant that going back ten times is a slightly crazy idea for me financially.  Ten rounds could easily set you back $5,000 - a nice round number that could get you an annual membership at many courses.  If you stay and eat there you could easily get to $8,000 for these hypothetical 10 round trips.  For me, it's so sad that such good and interesting courses can only come at such a high price.

A couple of weeks ago I went back to play the Black course. Following are some random thoughts on it.

The new clubhouse is too modern and sleek for me and seems out of sync with the rather natural look of the course.  The service is still too CCFAD for me and leaves me somewhat uncomfortable and cold.

The view of the first hole into the glare of the winter sun looked unimpressive. First impression was that it was going to be a flat course with lots of natural sand waste areas.  The flat part disappeared on the second hole and for the rest of the round.  The sandy waste areas persisted throughout the course.  They were augmented by what seemed to me like a lot of maintained bunkers.  I was left wondering how they will ever maintain all the bunkers.

All the holes were memorable.  I don't have any trouble recalling them even a couple of weeks later.  That's a good sign.

The greens, of course, are the distinguishing feature of the course.  If you're in the wrong place on the greens a three putt seems likely.  What struck me was that even short putts had significant break.  Maybe it was just the pins on this day.  I thought that the greens started to wear on me near the end of the round.  Maybe too much of a good thing.  Some of the runoffs and rejections seemed like they could be quite severe.  I suspect they will be quite polarizing.

The 9th green, the dell, plays quite well and isn't as goofy as some of the aerial pictures make it look.

The right green on the 13th does seem a little over the top.  By chance I drove up the right side and a bit short and was left with a blind shot over some trees.  I struck what I thought was a good shot and the ball was never seen again, probably over the back by 40 yards and lost in the weeds.  They have cut back the weedy areas in a few spots, presumably to increase playability. 

I birdied the two par 3's on the back, both off of fortuitous bounces off mounds rather than from good shots.  Don't let it be said that nobody ever proclaims the lucky bounces.

I played from the 6700 yard tees as it's a par 73.  One set of tees forward probably would have been more appropriate.  There seemed to be loads of room on the free form tees behind the back tees. Could they run it up to over 8,000 yards?  It was described to me as the competition course on the property.  It was reputed that Dustin Johnson played the 18th driver, 9 iron, so some more yardage may be required! :)

I thought it was against the architect design rule book to finish playing the 18th into the setting sun.

Did I mention that there are a lot of maintained bunkers - too many to count.  I had three plugged balls in the bunkers.  :(  The number of bunkers seemed overkill to me especially with the vast sandy waste areas.  See the picture of the 18th green below for an example - there are 8 or 9 bunkers around this green alone.. 

I felt like going out again having figured out where the holes went and having some idea of the greens.  That's a good thing.  Sadly it's cost prohibitive for me.

It is a course that grabs your attention and that will probably make for a memorable experience for the one and done resort players, although I expect many would get beaten up by the course.  Like all the courses at Streamsong, it would require multiple plays to really understand it. 

The guy I played with, who worked there, said that the hotel was sold out the next night, so perhaps business is good.  I think the golf show was on in Orlando then, so that might also account for some of the business.

Anyway, it great that there are three such interesting courses in central Florida.  Too bad they are so expensive.

The proverbial breakdown of 10 rounds would be Blue 6, Black 3 and Red 1.

I didn't have my camera, but here's one pic from my phone of the 18th green taken from the side on the 12th fairway.  Lots of waste area and maintained bunkers and a pond out of sight to the right of the picture.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2018, 08:37:24 AM »
Following Tom's original question and specifics, I'll express a new-found preference for the Black Course.

Having visited Streamsong 6x, and the last 4x playing in their Invitational event, this was my first visit to the Black.  Given that most of my visits have been during times when Kyle and Rusty have had he courses dialed up for competition ( F&F fairways and very quick greens) and almost always subject to hearty wind speeds , my opinion may be a bit skewed.

The Black stole my heart this trip. Up until now, I've always enjoyed the Blue, yet have preferred the Red by a decent margin.

I felt as if the were far more original holes to be found on the Black, and the fun factor was far more prevalent on it than either of it's predecessors. It took several plays to reveal itself and like a beautiful painting or woman, likely will produce even further appreciation with subsequent examination.

As other posters have cited the fairway width of the Blue as an attraction, I felt as if the Black had that is spades and with the exception of a handful of holes, even bare misses found playable sandy areas that permitted recovery shots with greater latitude for potential reward. It's greens are undeniably vexing and large, but eminently playable and receptive to strategic dissection. The proper mix of demand for aerial and ground approaches is evenly balanced and affords players of every level the chance to measure and utilize the features of the land with aplomb.

The originality of holes like #2, 7 & 9 were well complimented by all of the others on the outward nine. #2 might appear to be an awkward short par 4, but after the first go-round, less-diabolical and demandingly strategic. Some might be maddened by the hard angle of the green, yet given that's it's relatively easy to place a drive within lob wedge distance, the right to complain shrinks swiftly. Making par there isn't very tough, but birdies demand precision and bogeys or higher are instantaneous for any sloppy play.

#7, an elegant short-to-medium length par 3  feels like it was transplanted from Kingston Heath or elsewhere on the Melbourne Sandbelt and further serves to reinforce Gil's Down-Under inspiration throughout this course. Mackenzie-Morcum bunker styling and laser-cut facing found throughout the Black are especially protective and visually intimidating on this hole.

Much has already been written about the Punchbowl 9th, but it's not gimmicky. Golfers need to peer into it and note the pin placement on their walk to the 3rd tee and store it in their memory not unlike espying the flags on so many greens when walking around the likes of a Somerset Hills, or Merion.

The Black's back has slightly different rhythm. #10 is an angular brute when played into the wind, and as good a decent birdie or better hole when benign. Downwind it is reachable for sure, but not as easy as you'd think. #11 was unique and memorable a par 4 as you'd want, with a Redan green for "kicks!"

The only "wart" I could find on this course (think Cindy Crawford's) was the 13th. Always appreciative of a two green concept, the execution here leaves something to be desired. The juxtaposition and fronting features of the right green don't really work as well as I would hope. The necessity of avoiding the centerline bunkers (firmly in the 200-260yd range off the tees) and picking a side, while strategically necessary produces unworkable approaches form either side. Left of the hazards leaves a long iron or hybrid that has an effective landing area 3-4 ft long, 4-5yds wide. The shorter right side yields a line of trees that much be climbed instantly or double-bogey awaits. Only moving the tees way up on days when the right is in play save this hole. The left green works well (and has one of the more fun front-of-the-green kick plates) but it is the most questionable one on the course.

#14's and 15 are wicked fun, and 16, though the #1 hcp, isn't as ominous as the same numbers over on the Red/Blue. #18 is a trip, giving the player(s) another terrifically fun risk/reward opportunity. Walking off this hole yields the desire to walk straight back to #1 and reset.repeat the sporty meter.

The Red and Blue are wonderful and enjoyable, if not tough and demanding in spots. The Black has the plenty of the latter IMO, with even more of the former. It is a course for everyone, but those without the skew to creativity and the temerity to try shots they don't usually practice might not "get it." I believe I did, as did my playing partners, but listening to a group from Pat's NJ place snicker and snivel behind us for two days it's evident that some never will. Their loss IMO!

« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 08:47:16 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Scott Senior

« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2018, 03:02:06 PM »
Welcome Scott! When we play this summer you can explain Chidi to me :)

Bill,

Will do...I look forward to that!! Thank you!!

Scott

Eric LeFante

« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2018, 08:57:32 AM »
Following Tom's original question and specifics, I'll express a new-found preference for the Black Course.

Having visited Streamsong 6x, and the last 4x playing in their Invitational event, this was my first visit to the Black.  Given that most of my visits have been during times when Kyle and Rusty have had he courses dialed up for competition ( F&F fairways and very quick greens) and almost always subject to hearty wind speeds , my opinion may be a bit skewed.

The Black stole my heart this trip. Up until now, I've always enjoyed the Blue, yet have preferred the Red by a decent margin.

I felt as if the were far more original holes to be found on the Black, and the fun factor was far more prevalent on it than either of it's predecessors. It took several plays to reveal itself and like a beautiful painting or woman, likely will produce even further appreciation with subsequent examination.

As other posters have cited the fairway width of the Blue as an attraction, I felt as if the Black had that is spades and with the exception of a handful of holes, even bare misses found playable sandy areas that permitted recovery shots with greater latitude for potential reward. It's greens are undeniably vexing and large, but eminently playable and receptive to strategic dissection. The proper mix of demand for aerial and ground approaches is evenly balanced and affords players of every level the chance to measure and utilize the features of the land with aplomb.

The originality of holes like #2, 7 & 9 were well complimented by all of the others on the outward nine. #2 might appear to be an awkward short par 4, but after the first go-round, less-diabolical and demandingly strategic. Some might be maddened by the hard angle of the green, yet given that's it's relatively easy to place a drive within lob wedge distance, the right to complain shrinks swiftly. Making par there isn't very tough, but birdies demand precision and bogeys or higher are instantaneous for any sloppy play.

#7, an elegant short-to-medium length par 3  feels like it was transplanted from Kingston Heath or elsewhere on the Melbourne Sandbelt and further serves to reinforce Gil's Down-Under inspiration throughout this course. Mackenzie-Morcum bunker styling and laser-cut facing found throughout the Black are especially protective and visually intimidating on this hole.

Much has already been written about the Punchbowl 9th, but it's not gimmicky. Golfers need to peer into it and note the pin placement on their walk to the 3rd tee and store it in their memory not unlike espying the flags on so many greens when walking around the likes of a Somerset Hills, or Merion.

The Black's back has slightly different rhythm. #10 is an angular brute when played into the wind, and as good a decent birdie or better hole when benign. Downwind it is reachable for sure, but not as easy as you'd think. #11 was unique and memorable a par 4 as you'd want, with a Redan green for "kicks!"

The only "wart" I could find on this course (think Cindy Crawford's) was the 13th. Always appreciative of a two green concept, the execution here leaves something to be desired. The juxtaposition and fronting features of the right green don't really work as well as I would hope. The necessity of avoiding the centerline bunkers (firmly in the 200-260yd range off the tees) and picking a side, while strategically necessary produces unworkable approaches form either side. Left of the hazards leaves a long iron or hybrid that has an effective landing area 3-4 ft long, 4-5yds wide. The shorter right side yields a line of trees that much be climbed instantly or double-bogey awaits. Only moving the tees way up on days when the right is in play save this hole. The left green works well (and has one of the more fun front-of-the-green kick plates) but it is the most questionable one on the course.

#14's and 15 are wicked fun, and 16, though the #1 hcp, isn't as ominous as the same numbers over on the Red/Blue. #18 is a trip, giving the player(s) another terrifically fun risk/reward opportunity. Walking off this hole yields the desire to walk straight back to #1 and reset.repeat the sporty meter.

The Red and Blue are wonderful and enjoyable, if not tough and demanding in spots. The Black has the plenty of the latter IMO, with even more of the former. It is a course for everyone, but those without the skew to creativity and the temerity to try shots they don't usually practice might not "get it." I believe I did, as did my playing partners, but listening to a group from Pat's NJ place snicker and snivel behind us for two days it's evident that some never will. Their loss IMO!

Great post Steve. I think it's fantastic that there is no consensus for "best" course at Streamsong.

I don't have kids yet and I have a very understanding wife so the fact that I haven't been to Streamsong has to make me one of the dumbest people ever to take up this game.

E P Purmort

« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2018, 09:15:11 PM »

The original post asked to give reasons for your favorite without denigrating the other courses, but I find it challenging to pick a favorite because I have so few negative opinions about any of the three. They are all magnificent.

After playing two rounds on each, my favorite is the Black course. While I'd put all three courses in the top tier of my courses played, the Black stood out from Blue and Red in two distinct phases of the game: the approach and putting.

Regarding Black, I don't think I've played a course with so many varied looks that all made me feel both exhilarated and terrified. Black no. 2 was the second best short par 4 on any course. Blue no. 6 being hands down the best. The 4th through the 9th on Black was my favorite stretch of golf out of the three courses. No. 4 green is a dandy for long lower approaches. No. 5 is terrifying from the back two tees and feels like a leap of faith. My drive on no. 6 found the valley short of the Sarlacc pit of death and the ensuing wedge had my anxiety on full throttle. Then the view of the razor sharp bunker edging from the tee on no 7, just wow. Additionally, Black 14 through 18 were unbelievable. 17 & 18 as closers for a match is outstanding.

I think Blue had the best shots off the tee, but Blue's true genius was its ability to be enjoyed by my foursome's varied skill set. We had hcp's of 2, 12, 20, and 28. Each player won their fair share of holes and the high index golfers were rarely out of the hole. No. 3 is a great example; all four drives found the short grass and the high hcp players had some knee-knocker two putts to win the hole. #4-7 on Blue was probably the second best stretch of holes I played while on property. How underrated is #5? Short par three with a long narrow green playing with a crosswind! The front right contour there reminded me of the 16th at Sand Hills. A dandy indeed. We played Blue no. 9 dead into a 20+ wind and I can now say that I've striped a driver, 3 wood, 3 wood all on the same hole and still been short. No 13 was intense; a double bogey took honors there. The 17th bunkering should be studied in perpetuity by aspiring architects. No 18 was a dandy as a finisher.

As regards Red, my first thought is can we all agree to have more back-to-back short par 4's? No. 4 and no. 5 were an awesome combo. No 9 was also an incredibly fun hole. My favorite hole on the course was probably a tie between No 2 and No 12. No 15 was one of the only holes that I didn't care for. The tee shot is exhilarating no doubt, but the approach being long, uphill, and blind-ish left me wishing there were more room.

Whomever on GCA is keeping the ranking for best halfway-house food, please tune in. The barbecue brisket pitmaster on 8/9 tee at Red should be celebrated. He/She could make millions in TX.

Also, ask the caddie master for Dylan/Dillon sp? He is an all-world looper.

Christian Newton

« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2018, 01:39:10 PM »
Finally visited Streamsong last week and was able to understand and enjoy this great thread.

My answer to Tom's question: I loved Black and Blue. I appreciated Red.

I give Black the edge, as it was a unique and quirky skatepark experience, with a nice, legible routing and a "story" structure I easily absorbed. I enjoyed the expressive and unexpected green-sites. I found the tee shots required more strategic thinking among all three courses. The options were more evident: the risk and return more legible. Misses were never fatal but came at a cost.

The integration with the surrounding land felt significantly more organic than Red or Blue. I was happy to do without water until no. 18. Black has none of the towering piles of mining matrix that creates a vibe at the Red/Blue clubhouse of an ersatz Carne Golf Links. The setting felt less hermetic, more open, and the most reasonable walk.

On the subject of walking, I've played on courses with gators before, but always with a cart, so I was happy to find Black was gator free, sticking to grassy highlands, nooks and crannies. It also perhaps benefited from timing: I played it last, chasing the sun and putting out in the dusk.

I loved the tee shots on Blue (playing the combo of black/silver): just enough challenge but allowing for a player of my skill to do some thinking ahead about position for approaches. The par 3's were the stand-out to me. Probably Blue will pay more dividends with additional play, perhaps more than Black. Blue was a dizzying tangle of a routing--in a good way. The course felt intimate and quiet.

Red occasionally felt like work. It also felt uneven: punitive (and wet) early, meandering, then tighter, long and straight to finish. It felt like Texas golf: especially 9-10-11. I guess it was just the heat and live oak.

Everything was in excellent condition. I would have welcomed a little more wind but that's just another reason to return. I spotted many birds during my walk, including Osprey and Cooper's Hawk.

My 10-round distribution (as a 13 index) would be 4 black, 4 blue, 2 red.

My question for Tom is what is the story of the twin water carry par 3s? I was really surprised to find I was being told to walk back along the bridge after Blue No. 7. And when I then played Red No. 16 I wondered if these holes might not switch courses for a no u-turns routing for both? And I'd be surprised if you didn't have a hand in casting a Biarritz there.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2018, 08:08:48 PM »
I thought about this for a while ... and have tried to explain my dilemma ...

If I ranked the nines it would go like this

1. Blue - Front
2. Red - Back

3. Black - Back
4. Black - Front
5. Red - Front
6. Blue - Back

It's a wash for me ... no course separates itself from the others.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Jeff Schley

« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2018, 05:57:07 AM »
Haven't had the pleasure yet to get down to Florida.  However I checked out the rates and wow..... 260 in season is steep. Historically is this what they have charged for high season?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2018, 06:43:05 AM »
Jeff -- given that Streamsong has only been open for five or six years 'historically' is not necessarily the most appropriate term :)

Adam
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

E P Purmort

« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2018, 10:03:53 PM »

1. Blue - Front
2. Red - Back

3. Black - Back
4. Black - Front
5. Red - Front
6. Blue - Back

Interesting take.

I'd vote:

Black Front
Blue Front
Black Back
Red Back
Blue Back
Red Front

The lack of consensus is undoubtedly the MVP of this thread.

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2018, 09:18:12 AM »

1. Blue - Front
2. Red - Back

3. Black - Back
4. Black - Front
5. Red - Front
6. Blue - Back

Interesting take.

I'd vote:

Black Front
Blue Front
Black Back
Red Back
Blue Back
Red Front

The lack of consensus is undoubtedly the MVP of this thread.

Agree with your last statement. Excited to see the Black. Blue front and red middle are really really good. A blue red composite course would easily be ranked in the Top 10-15 modern.
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back