News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: Golf in Scotland is sinking fast
« Reply #375 on: September 13, 2024, 03:56:53 PM »
Some local chat that Kirkcaldy GC - commonly known as Balwearie - is in dire straits. I think it was OTM’s final layout?
Cheers,
F.
EDIT: https://www.scotsman.com/sport/scottish-golf-club-draws-up-survival-plan-amid-significant-challenges-4781223
To paraphrase Billy Connelly “What’s that smell?”
:)
Atb

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #376 on: September 13, 2024, 07:40:54 PM »
Apologies for the logrolling, but I only recently added Hirsel to the wiki. What a bummer. At least it will stay there as a record.

If anyone wants to send me a photo of a scorecard, I’ll add it to the database. If anyone want to record information as posterity, that’s what the wiki is there for.

https://golfcourse.wiki/course/hirsel_golf_club-coldstream
« Last Edit: September 13, 2024, 08:38:40 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #377 on: September 14, 2024, 10:15:16 PM »
British Law is the worst in the modern world and England Golf have supported that something like" if a golf course is open for play it must be open for ALL and that means if a disabled person wants a buggy then you must serve them or the course must be closed for ALL" there is a paragraph about 'reasonable etc' a word that the putrid lawyers leach on to finance their pockets with the eternal paper trail. A lot of UK golf courses will have to install paths.
I don't think this is unique to the UK.  In 2011 I was at Cape Kidnappers and did a tour of the property from the person who's family sold the property to Julian Robertson.  He said that a tea house was put in along the house to give hikers a place to stop.  Apparently the hike is fairly difficult and requires climbing over rocks.  The tea house was required to put in a wheelchair ramp although no one in a wheelchair would ever be able to successfully get to the place.

Chris Hughes

« Reply #378 on: September 15, 2024, 01:04:56 AM »
British Law is the worst in the modern world and England Golf have supported that something like" if a golf course is open for play it must be open for ALL and that means if a disabled person wants a buggy then you must serve them or the course must be closed for ALL" there is a paragraph about 'reasonable etc' a word that the putrid lawyers leach on to finance their pockets with the eternal paper trail. A lot of UK golf courses will have to install paths.
I don't think this is unique to the UK.  In 2011 I was at Cape Kidnappers and did a tour of the property from the person who's family sold the property to Julian Robertson.  He said that a tea house was put in along the house to give hikers a place to stop.  Apparently the hike is fairly difficult and requires climbing over rocks.  The tea house was required to put in a wheelchair ramp although no one in a wheelchair would ever be able to successfully get to the place.

Bethpage State Park is obligated to provide single-rider carts for persons who are properly accredited as disabled/handicapped (?) to play the Black course...

...in 15 years I only saw it once.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #379 on: September 16, 2024, 05:39:36 AM »
(the British are not very obedient)
Rubbish.  We are, by a significant distance, the most rule obeying European nation.  You may wish it was otherwise (part of me does) but that’s the truth.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Niall C

« Reply #380 on: September 16, 2024, 05:44:06 AM »
By and large I agree with Mark however I think, regrettably, that is changing. I think we need to bring back flogging and birching. That would sort out slow play.

Niall

Enno Gerdes

« Reply #381 on: September 16, 2024, 05:59:26 AM »
By and large I agree with Mark however I think, regrettably, that is changing. I think we need to bring back flogging and birching. That would sort out slow play.

Niall

Wait until after this week’s Buda to bring it back, please.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #382 on: September 16, 2024, 06:30:47 AM »
Rubbish.  We are, by a significant distance, the most rule obeying European nation.  You may wish it was otherwise (part of me does) but that’s the truth.

I suppose. Certainly where queueing is concerned. But I still think there is a strain of disobedience in the British that would make them resent a cart path only rule.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #383 on: September 16, 2024, 07:05:26 AM »
I think there's a difference between the English and the rest of GB. In my experience the English have been very strict rule followers. Here are just a couple of examples.

Once on a rainy morning at Worplesdon  I was a single playing behind a two ball. We were the only players on the back 9 and I was on their tail the entire round. On a par 3 I asked if I could join them. They declined because the rule was only two ball play was allowed at that time. The time for 4 ball play was coming at the top of the hour about 15 minutes away, and there was no one  behind us. They did let me play through though.

At Liphook I was required to replace my barely visible black below the ankle socks with white socks due to their white socks only rule when wearing shorts.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #384 on: September 16, 2024, 07:36:55 AM »

I suppose. Certainly where queueing is concerned. But I still think there is a strain of disobedience in the British that would make them resent a cart path only rule.
Adam Lawrence

Niall C

« Reply #385 on: September 16, 2024, 08:12:06 AM »
I think there's a difference between the English and the rest of GB. In my experience the English have been very strict rule followers. Here are just a couple of examples.

Once on a rainy morning at Worplesdon  I was a single playing behind a two ball. We were the only players on the back 9 and I was on their tail the entire round. On a par 3 I asked if I could join them. They declined because the rule was only two ball play was allowed at that time. The time for 4 ball play was coming at the top of the hour about 15 minutes away, and there was no one  behind us. They did let me play through though.

At Liphook I was required to replace my barely visible black below the ankle socks with white socks due to their white socks only rule when wearing shorts.

Stewart

You seem to be suggesting that in Scotland and presumably Wales and NI that it isn't like that. Can I suggest you try wearing anything but white socks with shorts at Glasgow, or try to play a fourball at Muirfield in the morning, or indeed wear stretch denim at Elie, and I think you'll find out that there are rules elsewhere in the UK.

Niall

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #386 on: September 16, 2024, 10:48:03 AM »

Stewart

You seem to be suggesting that in Scotland and presumably Wales and NI that it isn't like that. Can I suggest you try wearing anything but white socks with shorts at Glasgow, or try to play a fourball at Muirfield in the morning, or indeed wear stretch denim at Elie, and I think you'll find out that there are rules elsewhere in the UK.

Niall

White socks with shorts? HERESY!

Everyone knows that knee socks are the only appropriate pairing with shorts. A few years ago I went on a beautiful summer's day to Royal Cinque Ports to play golf. I wore shorts, and drove to Deal, and, on arrival, parked in the visitors' car lot. Literally the instant I switched off the engine I had a moment of clarity: "S***! It's a long sock club!" Obviously I was wearing white ankle socks. Andrew Reynolds, now sadly retired after 45 years as head pro at RCP, but shortly to take over as the club's captain, was delighted to relieve me of, I think, £25, for a pair of RCP knee socks. They're still in my sock drawer, I don't think I have worn them since. Actually it was one of Andrew's minions, but I'm sure the feeling was the same...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2024, 01:07:51 PM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

Thomas Dai

« Reply #387 on: September 16, 2024, 12:13:41 PM »
A club dress code which requires the wearing of ultra-ultra-long socks plus long sleeve shirts, turtleneck shirts and gloves on both hands would be nice. That way we could avoid having to view the tattoos that seem to have proliferated on the bodies of golfers over the last few years.
And while I’m at it, golfers who wear their hats the wrong way around shouldn’t be allowed either, and not just on the course but on the entire premises.
:):):)

Atb

Niall C

« Reply #388 on: September 16, 2024, 06:58:00 PM »
Adam

You can wear long socks at Glasgow and many do, but they still have to be white.

I recall going through to play at Luffness New on a scorching day and was wearing shorts with short socks on the way. My plan was to stop for a coffee on the way through and change into my long socks so I was appropriately dressed on arrival. Unfortunately a series of traffic jams put paid to that idea and I was lucky to make my tee-time. The secretary wasn't amused at me being improperly dressed on my arrival.

I won't be making the same mistake at this years BUDA. When we go to Elie I'll already be wearing my long socks (blue) on arrival.

Niall

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #389 on: September 17, 2024, 11:38:45 AM »
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #390 on: September 18, 2024, 06:26:02 AM »
I’m not sure this is even Architecture any more, but hey-ho:
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/another-scottish-golf-club-announces-it-is-closing-reached-a-point-where-this-cannot-continue-4785867
Scottish golf at the lower level is set up to be a disaster. The Annual Subscriptions at £600 per year leave a massive hole in the balance sheet. The lower tier clubs receive almost zero from the big spending golf visitors. The members/scots have driven the price down and costs have soared. Whilst Scottish golf is half price, Scottish wages are still full price.

A golf club can't really survive at £600 pa. Probably need £1000 if you got 500 members.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Niall C

« Reply #391 on: September 18, 2024, 08:33:39 AM »
Adrian

There are other business models available !

I just spent 5 or 10 minutes googling membership fees for some of my old haunts up north and at several the full membership was between £400 and £450 and in one case just under £400. I would suggest that none are really mainstream tourist haunts and neither are they likely to have memberships of 500 plus.

So how do they manage ? Basically by cutting their cloth to suit. Clubhouses are modest, lightly staffed and with the bar open at weekends only, greenkeeping staff numbers are low (the one under £400 had one greenkeeper when I was up there) and from what I recall there wasn't a professional. That "level of service" won't suit everyone but many are happy with it.

Niall

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #392 on: September 18, 2024, 10:28:33 AM »
Adrian

There are other business models available !

I just spent 5 or 10 minutes googling membership fees for some of my old haunts up north and at several the full membership was between £400 and £450 and in one case just under £400. I would suggest that none are really mainstream tourist haunts and neither are they likely to have memberships of 500 plus.

So how do they manage ? Basically by cutting their cloth to suit. Clubhouses are modest, lightly staffed and with the bar open at weekends only, greenkeeping staff numbers are low (the one under £400 had one greenkeeper when I was up there) and from what I recall there wasn't a professional. That "level of service" won't suit everyone but many are happy with it.

Niall
I agree 100% you can operate as a one man band but that club in distress did not look like it operated like that.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Mark Pearce

« Reply #393 on: September 18, 2024, 06:23:31 PM »
I won't be making the same mistake at this years BUDA. When we go to Elie I'll already be wearing my long socks (blue) on arrival.
SAdly the long sock rule is history at Elie.  I'll still be wearing a variety of club socks over the weekend.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back