News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Re: How many world class courses does Scotland have ?
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2019, 06:30:56 AM »
What on earth was I doing on June the 13th and 14th to miss all this !!

Tim

Apologies for not responding to your thesis but have only just discovered it due to Sean's bump. Let me mull over and respond within the 18 month time slot allowed for responses  ;D

Niall

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2019, 07:14:22 AM »
Revisiting this re-heated thread prompted another contribution to the endless definition of 'World Class' musings.

How about we turn the thinking on its head and define a  world class course as  one whose disappearance would materially diminish the landscape of world golf?

Of course this (like any) definition just shifts the problem to the judgement of what  'materially' means.

It does however bring in some new candidates like Musselburgh Old and Prestwick and perhaps excludes some others like Castle Stuart and Loch Lomond.
It captures Pine Valley despite it's (reputed - I've never been ) unplayability for high handicappers. 

By this definition there might be 50-ish World class courses which  in Scotland might be ( in no order)

TOC
Dornoch
Muirfield
Prestwick
North Berwick
Musselburgh Old
Prestwick
Cruden Bay
Carnoustie
Machrihanish

Anyhoo time to do something more worthwhile like go outside in the September sun!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2019, 08:51:29 AM »

TOC
Dornoch
Muirfield
Prestwick
North Berwick
Musselburgh Old
Prestwick
Cruden Bay
Carnoustie
Machrihanish

There’s a noble links in the NE that I’d be inclined to add.
Atb

Sean_A

« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2019, 01:55:56 AM »
The candidates for me and looking at what folks say thru lists...

Castle Stuart
N Berwick
TOC
Prestwick
Gleneagles Kings
Kingsbarns
Dornoch
Elie
Cruden Bay
Royal Aberdeen
Renaissance
Trump Aberdeen
Muirfield
Carnoustie
Turnberry
Troon

But there is world class and there is world class...big difference between top 30 world and top 100 world.

Ciao

I'd substitute Machrihanish and Loch Lomond for Renaissance and Elie. I doubt either of the latter are well known enough to have been amongst the 14 Niall originally referred to. Nairn might have been in there too.

To be clear, my list, which happens to be 14 courses, is not what I think the authors had in mind. It is a list of courses I think should be in the conversation for world class. There are at least 5 courses on the list that I wouldn't include, but I would hear people out if they felt strongly.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 02:17:17 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back