News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rich Goodale

In or out of The Zone
« on: November 10, 2017, 09:48:29 AM »
I've been fortunate enough in my life to have played many sports (mostly up to my mid-late 20's) where I can still remember those episodic karmas when I was in the zone.  Those were sports (baseball, basketball, tennis, sailing, football, rugby, etc.) that I exited 40-45 years ago.  These zonal moments eventually stopped, so I took up golf.

I became a reasonably good golfer by the mid-80s and had several zonal golfing moments, up to a few years ago.  Then age intervened.

I can still drive as straight and long as low single hcp players of my age (71), but from there to the hole the zone becomes the Twilight Zone.

I still love golf.

Rich

Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

MCirba

Re: In or out of The Zone
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 09:50:56 AM »
Rich,

Do you think declining vision may have something to do with that?   I'm starting to wonder if my putting woes aren't vision related.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 10:07:20 AM »
Rich,

Do you think declining vision may have something to do with that?   I'm starting to wonder if my putting woes aren't vision related.

Mike,
Speaking only for myself, I have no doubt that aging eyes have impacted putting, and on multiple levels.  I don't think I read greens nearly as well anymore (and I was never especially good at it!); the subtleties of a green just aren't as apparent.  Equally importantly, I think my peripheral vision has declined at least marginally as well.  And, at the risk of getting REALLY geeky, I think the degree of what is known as parallax error has increased; this may be related to the peripheral vision decline as well.

To that end, in the summer of 2015 I decided to try face on/side saddle putting for one year just to "see" if it would make a difference.  (I based the one year window on something Randy Haag wrote on his blog; he's one of the better senior ams in the world, and has putted this way for many years now.)  About three months in, I got rid of every conventional putter I owned except for a Ping with sentimental value and a Scotty that I knew I couldn't get my money out of; I knew I was never going back.  There is just a ton I do NOT know about golf, but I have no doubt that this is a better way to putt a golf ball for several reasons, not the least of which is putting with binocular vision just as you lined the ball up, instead of trying to move to the side and tilt your head.

Rich, as to the zone:
I would think that the zone would still be available if you are playing competitively, though the results probably aren't as magical as when we are young and strong and flexible.  For me, the zone is MUCH harder to find when I just play casual golf, likely because my mental abilities have declined along with the physical ones.  Competition and playing make-believe seems to help that, but that might just be me.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 10:15:32 AM »
Old men simply lose patience. Every time I get in the zone someone does something to piss me off. It doesn't even have to be associated with anything on the course. Age takes away from the ability to stay in the moment.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 10:18:24 AM »
Sometimes I think that the zone is still out there, still waiting for us to enter, still available to us as an unmerited grace -- but that as we get older we find it ever harder to 'let go' of ourselves, to lose ourselves in that zone (or even to be willing to try). It's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the zone; and as we get older we're all "rich" -- rich with our set beliefs and opinions and fears and self-conceits.
Peter

JK put it well. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:21:52 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 11:59:24 AM »
Mike and AG

I had double laser cataract surgery in April and see (short and long) better than I did 30 years ago.  No glasses required either way.  I still can sink 30+ foot putts for pars just as easily as I can miss 10 footers for birdie.

John K

Yes.  It is declining patience, or as my daughters would say "WTF!"

Peter P

Yes.  The Zone is still there, but it just does not mean as much as it used to be.  I had some crazy birdies in my last 10 or so games this year, but they were WTF moments, not the Zone.  Or maybe they were just different "zones" than the zones of my relative youth.

R
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 12:02:34 PM »
IMO, its not really any of those things.

Its declining skills/physical ability.  Men hit their physical peak in thier early 30s, and its all downhill from there....of course some decline more than others, but its why there are few men in any of the major pro sports after 40....

Mark Pearce

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 12:33:24 PM »
Rich,

I think the zone can still happen later in life.  My father in law recently missed shooting his age by a shot at 85 in the Autumn Medal at HCEG and tells me he hasn't played like that for 20 years....
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 12:44:20 PM »
Us Tennessee Volunteers are struggling to find this zone you speak of, much less actually entering it.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

JMEvensky

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 02:18:41 PM »

Us Tennessee Volunteers are struggling to find this zone you speak of, much less actually entering it.

Bogey

Gruden will change this.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 02:34:16 PM »
Reading the opening thread, I thought this could be bad--all of us geezers bitching about our maladies.  Let's not go there.   

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 07:51:34 PM »
Rich,

I have been fortunate enough never to have been a golfer of any real ability or style so entering the zone was never a reality. I think because of this I cannot recognise a fall from grace as far as my ever " being in the zone" is concerned!

That said I broke par for the front nine holes in the competition the other day!!  A first and hopefully never forgotten experience for me. So possibly I have been to the zone for the briefest of time but as it is the rarest of birds for me I did not recognise it!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Dan Kelly

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 04:43:54 PM »
... from there to the hole the zone becomes the Twilight Zone.

Rich — Curious what constitutes the Twilight Zone.

Dan

PS:Where are you playing, these days?

PPS: Maybe you long for the better zone, too much?

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 05:39:11 PM »
 ::)
The average IQ around here just shot up 12 points.
The average handicap went down 2 strokes.
And the level of grammatical preciseness went through the roof.
Welcome back, Dan.
I hope you’re not simply visiting for the day.
Peter

P.S. Did you notice? My sentences were shorter, my punctuation more proper, and my ideas were crystal clear.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 05:40:46 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Steve Lang

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 07:20:09 PM »
 8)  perhaps its just the controlled approach to certain limits of play, expectations...

https://youtu.be/8CtjhWhw2I8

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back