News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Brown

One round in the Kingdom (with conditions)
« on: November 04, 2017, 09:09:16 PM »
So, playing the Old Course on a Monday next July 2018.   New Course the next morning and have an afternoon free that day.    What course would you play?   Have played TOC 3 times before and New, Castle, Jubilee, Crail, and Kingsbarns.

I am torn between Crail, Kingsbarns, Ellie, Lundin/Levin and Carnoustie.  Or Lottery TOC.

Marty Bonnar

Re: One round in the Kingdom (with conditions)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 10:21:06 PM »
Go see Scotscraig. It’s great.

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 02:23:47 AM »
Leven

Matthew Essig

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 02:31:32 AM »
Elie
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 04:09:26 AM »
Ballybunion.... Wrong Kingdom?..... Why not try 9 at Kingarrock with hickories, a free dram and a history lesson?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 05:11:23 AM »
Elie. 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 05:56:37 AM »
Carnoustie or Elie

Richard Fisher

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 06:04:00 AM »
Usual warning note about driving times in the UK, even though you have a July date and huge amounts of evening light

How about a 4pm start at Elie? Could be a blissful time to play.

astavrides

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 07:09:00 AM »
Carnoustie

Tim Gallant

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 12:15:02 PM »
Elie!

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 01:18:53 PM »
I played Elie this past fall and thought the course and layout were fun with plenty of interesting holes.  The only downside was the length of the rough.  Just off the fairways, which are tight, it was deep cabbage.  We lost many many balls from just a few yards off the fairways.  Disappointing and dampened what could be a delightful course to play.

Alex Miller

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 01:50:22 PM »
Another vote for Elie

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 03:41:43 PM »
Elie or Scotcraig as Marty suggests.

David McIntosh

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 04:16:28 PM »
On the basis you’ve already seen TOC, Crail and Kingsbarns, I’d play either Carnoustie or Elie. I’d have Lundin over Leven marginally but try to play both at some point to compare the two neighbours.

Scotscraig is a good course too and has more of a heathland feel than any of the others mentioned so may make any enjoyable alternative if you’re after something a bit different.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 04:19:25 PM by David McIntosh »

Doug Bolls

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 05:22:34 PM »
James - Over the last 25 years I have been to "The Kingdom" 3 times and at this point in my life will not get back there again.  I have played every course you have mentioned - TOC 5 times including once in reverse on a Masters weekend.
I look back with great pleasure at my time spent there, and have but two regrets.

I did not get to Musselburgh Links and play a round with Hickories and I did not spend an afternoon at the St. Andrews Ladies Putting Club (Himalayas) right there in town.

I would recommend either one of those would be a memorable way to spend an afternoon.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 05:38:50 PM »
I played Elie this past fall and thought the course and layout were fun with plenty of interesting holes.  The only downside was the length of the rough.  Just off the fairways, which are tight, it was deep cabbage.  We lost many many balls from just a few yards off the fairways.  Disappointing and dampened what could be a delightful course to play.
Honestly, you have to be playing very, very badly to lose a ball at Elie, even with the rough up.  I have no idea how anyone could lose many balls there.  The rough can be deep but the playing corridors are miles wide.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 05:52:24 PM »
Honestly, you have to be playing very, very badly to lose a ball at Elie, even with the rough up.  I have no idea how anyone could lose many balls there.  The rough can be deep but the playing corridors are miles wide.

This is wildly inaccurate. There are spots at Elie where balls can be lost... including right on the opening hole... the left is no picnic either. Playing links in high season almost invariably means lost ball rough is in play with far from poor shots . Still, Elie is a good call. Nobody has mentioned Burnside... a wonderful course.

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 05:54:10 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2017, 05:57:15 PM »
As a resident of ‘The Kingdom’, I must point out that neither Carnoustie or the Burnside can be considered as ‘in it’.
 8)

Love,
F.

James Brown

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2017, 06:56:31 PM »
Thanks a bunch.  This is helpful as it is always hard for me to choose my side courses on UK trips because there are so many gems. 

Scoreboard:

Elie 7
Carnoustie 3 (Point taken on NOT Kingdom)
Scottscraig 3
Leven
Lundin
Burnside

Sean_A

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2017, 07:08:30 PM »
As a resident of ‘The Kingdom’, I must point out that neither Carnoustie or the Burnside can be considered as ‘in it’.
 8)

Love,
F.

And who is the king of the "Kingdom"  8)

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2017, 07:37:46 PM »
Dear old Malcolm Canmore:
The King sits in Dunfermline Toun,
Drinking the bluid-red wine...

F. 8)

Sean Walsh

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2017, 09:47:59 PM »

I'd wander past the starter's box and see how long the wait is for TOC. Pick that if I was going to be playing within an hour.

Otherwise I'd keep walking (or jump back in the car and drive around) to the Eden. After a nice quick round on the Eden I'd hot the Himalayas on the way back to town.

Ken Moum

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2017, 10:50:29 PM »
I'm sort of astonished that no one has  mentioned Crail.

Anyway, I'd add a vote for Elie.

You have to play the best course I've ever seen without a  par five.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2017, 02:13:11 AM »
I'm sort of astonished that no one has  mentioned Crail.

It was mentioned .... in the OP.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2017, 02:33:52 AM »
 8)
Love,
F.

Marty,
Out of historical curiosity, have the boundaries of the KoF changed much over the centuries? Not suggesting some of the courses mentioned were likely inclusions though.
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back