News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Playing (too) fast
« on: November 04, 2017, 02:39:40 PM »
We love to play fast. But sometimes I wonder if it detracts from appreciating the course, especially on the first and perhaps only play. Any pointers on how to note the architecture without compromising pace of play?

Ira

Nigel Islam

Re: Playing (too) fast
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 03:15:09 PM »
I struggle with this sometimes myself.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 03:24:27 PM »
Pat Mucci was good at picking up on details of other holes as he played. I'm terrible at it. I focus on one shot and miss a lot. One reason it didn't bother me to play Pebble in 5 hours. I thought the round was too quick.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 03:40:41 PM »
Assuming a four ball, and allowing variations in either direction for the particular course, I think 3:30 to 4:15 is enough to do it all; play good golf by the Rules, enjoy the guys you are with, and appreciate fully the architecture and character of the course you are playing.

I know several guys in the group I play in that like to play (too) fast rather than play well; they also have little interest in the course itself, IMO. 
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 04:25:46 PM »
Assume a 4-hr round, a score of 80 and 2 mins taken per shot. That’s 80 mins remaining to, as Walter Hagen said, “smell the rose’s” etc.
Atb
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 04:35:06 PM by Thomas Dai »

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 06:46:17 PM »
I've played 18 holes in 1 1/2 hours and appreciated the course just fine.
Be the ball

noonan

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 07:01:44 PM »

Perfect pace!

BCowan

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 07:18:09 PM »

Jeff,

Please come to a GCA event.  Great post

BHoover

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 07:52:24 PM »

This obviously was not a GCA event, where everyone claims to play in less than 2 hours but actually finishes in 5.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 08:52:42 PM »
First of all you can't play too fast.  The game in general is too slow to begin with.  Secondly, it is hard to take in all the details of a good golf course while grinding away at a score.  If you want to just study the architecture, might be best to just walk the course and not hold up play.  The more courses you see and study, the better one should get at doing both (playing and studying) without slowly up the game.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 09:09:40 PM »
We should respect every group of golfers on the course, both in front and behind you.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 09:31:03 PM »
I don’t know how some folks can manage the (very fast) rounds sometimes mentioned around here. I’ve never taken a practice swing in my life, always have a club selected by the time I get to my ball, don’t grind over any putt that isn’t for par or better, take only very quick looks for lost balls, don’t stop after nine, move at a good pace between shots, and take 85 shots or so...and yet at my 6500 yard course, with greens-tees close together, I can’t  imagine walking (and carrying my bag) in anything less than 2:30 by myself, 3 hours in twosome and 3:30-4:00 hours with a walking four ball.
As I say, I really don’t know how folks can do it much quicker than that...but if they can/do then, IMO, they’re playing too quickly. Even at my current pace I often feel (playing a course for the first time) that I’ve not taken time enough to appreciate either the architecture or the experience.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 09:33:31 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 09:53:55 PM »

No way

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 11:26:38 PM »
That was with a cart and I was shooting in the mid 70s at the time and putted everything out.
Be the ball

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 04:28:16 AM »
I don't think you can play too fast to be honest.

One and a half hours didn't seem right but now I see it is in a cart so that's discounted. You appreciate architecture much less in a cart (no matter the length of the round).

I played a lot of rounds to beat darkness in my time, many over new courses (I first experienced many of the heathlands this way). I went round Hankley Common in 2 hrs 5 mins in a twoball in 2007, shot my handicap and can still remember every detail 10 years later.... But I was more or less running between shots..... I played The Eden 5 evenings on the trot in 2009, usually in 2 hrs 30 for a threeball and that felt comfortable. Which indicates the type of course makes a huge difference.

In my home club, we usually take about 3 hrs 45 for a threeball medal. Big course. My general observation is that club members in a traditional club are good at moving quickly. GCA outings are not.

I think it should be possible to concentrate on architecture and shoot your best scores whilst playing as quickly as all examples above. I play best when in the flow and I'm not given the time to think about my swing. I always have enough time to scope out the land and architecture. Game of feel after all.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 08:08:14 AM »

Sounds like a lot of fun.  Hope you got home in time to stuff that is apparently even more fun.  Mow the grass, take out the trash, pay some bills, deal with door-to-door solicitations, and so on.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Jay Mickle

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 09:45:22 AM »
Played Mid Pines as a twosome walking in 1:55. It was an aerobic round. I was surprised at the pace when we finished as I had not set out to set any records. Actually scored quite well, likely because I had no time for my head to get in the way.  My partner was only a shot or two over but was no stranger to fast play golf having played Bandon in 54 minutes shooting a 76. Upon finishing our he headed back to the first tee. likely I kept him from an end of day 36.
I certainly don't recommend playing at this pace but it did provide insight into what time possibilities. No Music from golf bag bluetooth speakers.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

MCirba

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2017, 10:01:58 AM »
Was sent put solo walking/carrying at vintage 6800 yard fairly rolling course yesterday morning and played the back nine in an hour.

Played through one 3some I'd followed since 1 by the 4th hole on the front nine before running into a twosome behind a foursome on the 7th tee.

The first 6 holes had taken an hour...so did the last 3 holes.

All of the other groups were in carts. 
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Ira Fishman

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2017, 10:24:36 AM »
I have played 18 in 1:40 as a solo walker and regularly play in under 3 hours as a two ball walker on my home course. But those are courses I know well so am not looking to assess/appreciate the architecture. So far the only trick I have developed on courses I do not know well is to try to take the time to look backwards while my partners are putting.

Ira

Steve Lang

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2017, 03:59:33 PM »
 8)  Ira,

If you're going to be playing "one-and-done" golf then let no feature go unchallenged, to at least some degree... get into it!  Play into Hell Bunker or up the Principal's Nose!
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Ira Fishman

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2017, 04:18:53 PM »
Steve,

LOL. But I don’t need to find those bunkers on purpose; poor shots will do the trick.

Ira

Pat Alpaugh

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2017, 05:39:28 PM »
I can't imagine enjoying a round of golf if it's played in under 2 or even 3 hours. 

archie_struthers

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2017, 08:04:35 PM »
 ::) ???

Our guys play fast , even though most of our games are stroke play with no gimmes allowed. A normal round in season  is 3 1/2 and this time of year it can often be closer to 3 hours. We have all levels of players but handicaps doesn't necessarily dictate who moves the best.

The other day we had one of our slower players in our group . He's a good player , solid 6 , but really likes to take his time. He's a good guy , but isn't necessarily a fan of what he surely  considers "racing around". We rode together , I walked a lot , often grabbing two or three clubs to let him go to his ball first all the time. Yet many times I would walk to the other side of the fairway and still be ready well ahead of my playing partner. He would hit first but invariably after I hit he was still fiddling with his equipment and I arrived at the green first walking.

It's interesting but some people just can't changer their routine. Don't know where their heads are when driving to the ball but it's obviously not about the next shot. Why players can't figure out their distance and shot without going thru a long routine is beyond me.  Sometimes you can work with a  slowpoke to embrace pace of play , and they actually enjoy it over time......but for some its just against their nature. Slow players don't realize it many times , they tend to be fiddlers . Cleaning clubs constantly , taking forever to get their distance , etc etc . It's just their nature so try to help them save a few steps when you can .

Watching the tour gives a little insight as its almost as if the players need to take a at least a minute and a long dialogue with their caddy / coach  to convince themselves totally about even the simplest of shots . Given few of us have ever played at anywhere near their level, maybe its a necessity for total commitment to the shot . Most of us just couldn't do it without blowing a gasket .

My buddy obviously doesn't enjoy playing at our  pace , he often appears to be rushing to keep up , even though we can't imagine what the hell he's doing fiddling around with his clubs , glove , cart ,glasses whatever.  I felt bad Friday knowing he wasn't enjoying the game as much as the rest of us , because we were just going too fast for him to play comfortably. We played in 3:15, and it seemed leisurely to me.  However , there are some folks who just don't enjoy it the same way.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 07:13:49 AM by archie_struthers »

Sean_A

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2017, 03:21:49 AM »
I can definitely play too fast.  I know it when I feel hurried and that is the last thing I want when paying for leisure time activities. Mind you, it isn't often I feel hurried.  I reckon 2:45 would be a comfortable pace in a 2 ball walking a good walking course.  I am not sure there is a good pace for 4 balls because there is inherently far more down time involved in 4 balls....but 3:30-45 is alright and practically never happens on big courses.  The harder the course, the more I would rather play it as a 2 ball.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2017, 07:44:53 AM »
I can definitely play too fast.  I know it when I feel hurried and that is the last thing I want when paying for leisure time activities. Mind you, it isn't often I feel hurried.  I reckon 2:45 would be a comfortable pace in a 2 ball walking a good walking course.  I am not sure there is a good pace for 4 balls because there is inherently far more down time involved in 4 balls....but 3:30-45 is alright and practically never happens on big courses.  The harder the course, the more I would rather play it as a 2 ball.

Ciao

I actively avoid playing four balls unless it is in a match play situation.

Just far too much time standing around.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back