News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Via Golf Digest

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/greg-normans-new-business-venture-aims-to-make-the-golf-course-experience-bigger-and-better

He's added speakers and a touch screen to the golf cart.

Best quote:  "There are fifty or a hundred courses where this won't go, but for the other 30,000 courses ..."

Luckily, I think there are more than 100 courses in the world where you can't take a cart.

Josh Tarble

Re: Greg Norman Aims to Make The Golf Course Experience Bigger and Better
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 10:34:25 AM »
Barf.  Maybe if this were a pushcart or something that promoted walking I might be on board.  I truly think the way the game moves forward is by going back; promoting more walking, more health benefits, a more social (and I mean the good kind, not social media) experience.  The most boring type of experience is when you sit in your cart more than you're on the course hitting shots with your group.

But maybe I'm way off, or maybe Norman doesn't design courses that you can walk so it doesn't matter.

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 10:55:11 AM »
Figures. Anyone remember the great Pixar movie Wall-e.  Is this where Norman wants to take golf?

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 11:00:40 AM »
It's probably a great business venture. I'm sure there are a ton of shitty Florida resort courses and CCFAD type places that will eat up this type of "experience." It's not what I want in a round of golf, but then again I don't smoke cigars, gamble excessively, wear flat brimmed hats and white belts, either. So, to each their own.

At the two private clubs I'm most familiar with here in Minnesota, both with "classic" courses, cart rounds are way down. Younger people joining clubs these days typically prefer to walk, to better socialize and especially for the health benefits (easy way to "get your steps").
H.P.S.

BHoover

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 12:28:56 PM »
All I can say is finally, at long last, someone is doing something to make golf cool! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve thought to myself over the years that someone, anyone needs to make the golf experience “bigger and better.” Thank you, Greg Norman. The hero that golf needs, but maybe not the one it deserves, right now.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 12:31:48 PM by BHoover »

Rob Marshall

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 12:50:27 PM »
Nothing bothers me more than someone blasting music across two fairways. If you want music it should be played at a level that can't be heard outside of your cart.....not to mention that it's against the rules of golf but who follows them anyway right?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Josh Tarble

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 01:10:57 PM »
Nothing bothers me more than someone blasting music across two fairways. If you want music it should be played at a level that can't be heard outside of your cart.....not to mention that it's against the rules of golf but who follows them anyway right?

To be fair, the design apparently address that, the speakers are built such that you can supposedly only hear it in the cart and immediate surrounds.

That being said, I only do two of these things (and I hate smoke and only wear white between memorial day and labor day):
...smoke cigars, gamble excessively, wear flat brimmed hats and white belts...

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 02:52:38 PM »
All humor aside, I worry that people are getting to the point where they have to be "entertained" 24/7.  Our environment must be customized to their own set of preferences.  I *love* music and have dedicated much of my life to pursuing it, playing it, exploring it and enjoying it.  But it feels out of place on the golf course to me.

I don't need to be entertained within the duration of the golf experience.  And I don't want to be.  Golf is where I leave those things behind.  Preferably, I'm walking, enjoying the company of friends new or old, challenging the limits of my own strategic decision-making and physical skills and taking the surroundings.  I'll be in the climate-controlled, customized cabin of my car soon enough.  I can venture out of my bubble to play golf. 

Jay Mickle

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 03:21:15 PM »
Other than my distaste for carts in the first place, my great issue with cart music is the arrogant expectation that others want to listen to the same music genre. With the universal availability of bluetooth headphones there is no reason to play music for others.
If I wish to listen to music on the range or on the course I have bone conductive headphones that allow me to listen to music and still carry on conversation and not infringe on others quietude.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Rick Lane

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 03:23:10 PM »
All humor aside, I worry that people are getting to the point where they have to be "entertained" 24/7.  Our environment must be customized to their own set of preferences.  I *love* music and have dedicated much of my life to pursuing it, playing it, exploring it and enjoying it.  But it feels out of place on the golf course to me.

I don't need to be entertained within the duration of the golf experience.  And I don't want to be.  Golf is where I leave those things behind.  Preferably, I'm walking, enjoying the company of friends new or old, challenging the limits of my own strategic decision-making and physical skills and taking the surroundings.  I'll be in the climate-controlled, customized cabin of my car soon enough.  I can venture out of my bubble to play golf.

Totally agree, and all I can think of is having people sit in their carts and fiddle with music and social media posts instead of going to their ball, adding to slow play!   :'(

David Whitmer

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 03:32:23 PM »
All humor aside, I worry that people are getting to the point where they have to be "entertained" 24/7. 

I agree, Tom, but that's where our recreational activities are going (or have gone in many instances). Been to a major league baseball game lately? The stadiums have kids' zones,  family zones, etc., where you can do everything but watch the ballgame. There is on-field entertainment after every half-inning. There is free Wi-Fi...watch the number of people sitting behind the plate who are on their phones. I guess the owners of teams (and maybe owners of golf courses are getting there) have decided they need to offer more than the traditional product in order to get people to spend their money there.

This Greg Norman cart doesn't sound like my idea of a nice way to play golf, but if others want to use it, I don't see why it would bother me. I really hope I don't get paired with someone who uses one. But if it helps to bring more people to the golf course, thereby spending money, thereby reducing (or not increasing) the money I would have to spend, I'm okay with it. Like others, though, I don't want to hear music being played, nor do I want it to slow the pace of play. If those things occur, I would change my tune (no pun intended).

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 03:41:49 PM »
Not that I'm for music on golf carts, its not my cup of tea either, but I don't begrudge anyone who likes music with their golf.  4-5 hours is quite long, especially when it comes to the opportunity costs of discretionary free time in the modern world.

A hundred years ago, golf was a main attraction, compared to now where you can rush off to engage in countless other forms of entertainment/other stuff to do.

Adaptation will never end....

Steve Lapper

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 04:17:43 PM »
  I am going to play Devil's Advocate and take the other side of this. Let me first say, I have no fondness for Greg Norman. his products, designs or marital advice. I also wouldn't want to see this cart silliness at most private clubs sporting anything close to worthy architecture.

That said, as the father of two daughters, 12 & 14, and around so many of their peers, I fully understand the attraction of this approach. Sadly, kids these days have limited attention spans, excessive stimulus (delivered by smartphone), multiple choices and like all younger generations a relative aversion to anything their parents find fun.

Putting audio speakers and various other electronic devices aboard carts would unquestionably attract those kids who now see the golf course as large (albeit premature) cemeteries. So many of them think golf is boring and so many who even bother to try, or commit some measure of time to learning get easily distracted and dissuaded.

Just look at Bowling and see that where it is thriving , the atmosphere has become closer to an electronic rave party than Bud & Bills's Beer hall. A friend of mine owns a chain of bowling facilities and is virtually killing it five-out-of-seven nights a week, with hour long waits for lanes. As he put it..."once I learned how to turn the sport into a disco dance, everyone went from frowns to smiles." One look at the single biggest growing segment of golf-related business (Top Golf) confirms the millennial attraction to shiny things, comfortable couches and cup holders.

I don't think Tom or any other respectable golf course aficionado has much to worry about. The invasion of budding Al Czervik's isn't coming through their gates.

Just my two cents (and clearly not worth much more).

FWIW...I do believe one Randolph Morrissett would gladly have these vehicles following him if they had the right beverage and some really nasty chrome wheels and undercarriage lights. After all, such a ride isn't too far from the one he tools around in already!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Matt Dawson

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 04:24:35 PM »
Hold on, let me get this straight.

People play music, in golf carts, whilst ostensibly playing golf?

I have never seen or heard of this before. Does it not put other players off?

If so, then why bother being quiet whilst other players are swinging/putting?

I have so many questions, I don't know where to start

jeffwarne

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 04:49:17 PM »

he had so much promise as a player............

Maybe if had just laid out to the right on #8 at Augusta in '96.......
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

B.Ross

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 05:30:52 PM »
not my cup of tea, not to mention could it slow down rounds even more? having said that, resorts/daily fees could eat this up as a way to bump greens fees. i think norman will need to cut a deal w/ a troon/kemper/casper golf to make this possible at scale. in my opinion, if the wifi connected screen could extend to have on-demand apps for viewing, he may be onto something. even as someone who despises carts and slow rounds, i must say the thought of playing golf on an october sunday with nfl redzone streaming in my cart is pretty cool, or an nba playoff game in april/may. i dont see any private club or real municipal going for this.

having said all that, a simpler solution to this is a golf cart w/ a usb port to charge ones phone as they play. perhaps you bluetooth connect said phone to a blue tooth speaker and you can have whatever sort of entertainment you want as you play.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2017, 06:03:36 PM »
Any machine that replaces the need for a caddie is fine by me. Only one thing has ever spoiled a nice day...one too many peoples.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 06:05:08 PM by John Kavanaugh »

BHoover

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 06:33:13 PM »
Any machine that replaces the need for a caddie is fine by me. Only one thing has ever spoiled a nice day...one too many peoples.

This is so sad, especially considering your history as the genius behind the BuddyUp! movement. Say it ain’t so, Joe. Say it ain’t so.

BCowan

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2017, 06:36:38 PM »

John,

I had to take a 14 year old caddie this year, couldn't read a green nor get a good yardage.  Hell flytraps in my day could run circles around A/honor caddies of today.  cost me $75 too...  The 14 year old has already purchased his first car, a used Vet... 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2017, 06:51:20 PM »
I just finished a round where I was haunted by a group behind us with two forecaddies. The course was packed. I would have preferred Barry Manilow to six guys yelling four yardages eight times. I used to play golf just to get away from some kid in a bib babbling on about nonsense.

jeffwarne

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 07:02:24 PM »
I just finished a round where I was haunted by a group behind us with two forecaddies. The course was packed. I would have preferred Barry Manilow to six guys yelling four yardages eight times. I used to play golf just to get away from some kid in a bib babbling on about nonsense.

;D ;D
nothing better than someone who carries your putter-and is nowhere near you when you need it.
Who started that ridiculous practice, and why would anyone want someone to carry their putter?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 07:09:50 PM »
I can't imagine a life where I would still have to make small talk with a gas pump attendant. Come on...caddies provide no more value.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2017, 07:14:41 PM »
And we are back to the original premise. Modern society prefers to interact with machines. Go Greg go.

BCowan

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 07:17:15 PM »
I can't imagine a life where I would still have to make small talk with a gas pump attendant. Come on...caddies provide no more value.

The Bag Boy/Cart Boy deserves better

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 07:25:45 PM »
If I only didn't have to desperately piss before and after every round.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back