News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JHoulihan

Buddy trip x 4 players
« on: November 01, 2017, 10:07:05 PM »
I am starting to plan my next buddies trip and would love your help.
2017 was an amazing year allowing me to see multiple new courses and states.
I am hoping for more of the same in 2018-2019.
My group will be traveling from multiple areas and eveyone has wants when they travel.
What factors are you using when choosing your next location to play?
Course availability (Public vs private)
Course designer
Course rating (Confidential guide)
Cost to travel (Drive vs fly)
Cost to play (With and without caddy experience)
New course openings
Number of available courses to play
Potential weather (Both good and bad)
Staying at one resort vs driving to multiple course sites
Stories from fellow players
Walking vs Riding

Here are my choices so far.
1) California = Pebble beach + Pasatiempo
2) Canada = Cabot + Highland Links
3) Florida = Streamsong
4) Michigan = Forest Dunes + others
5) North Carolina = Pinehurst + others
6) Oregon = Bandon + The Sheep Ranch
7) Wisconsin = Kohler + Sand Valley + others

Let me know why you may choose one location over another.

Brad Tufts

Re: Buddy trip x 4 players
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 11:09:05 PM »
There are lots of factors you have listed, as well as probably the top seven options for a buddy trip in the US/Canada.  A couple are a bit pricier than the others, but you really can't go wrong.

What exactly you looking for from us?  (no snarky tone, just looking for you to narrow your query down to info you want to know)
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

JHoulihan

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 11:54:00 PM »
Brad,

I have just done some regional trips and am beginning the travel further. Since many here are traveling both throughout the US and abroad you are more experienced than I. Everyone learns something big or small on every trip.

If you were planning a trip for a group of 4 would you...
Add any criteria not listed above?
Eliminate criteria shown because not important to you?
Travel to an area brand new to all 4 players?

Just a very open forum question. If you had time to golf in 2018-2019 where would you go (in the listed locations) and why? I know many may be excluded due to peak season reservations, family and work. Of course we cannot go to all 7 so this is just to help narrow down the choices before phone calls, emails, and texts begin.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 01:41:40 AM by JHoulihan »

Brad Tufts

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 12:30:42 AM »
I think all of your criteria are good ones.  For me "ability to walk v. ability to ride" wouldn't take me out of the game for anything.  For me, its all about the courses.  Walking and caddies, etc. are great if you can have that option.  I think all the other criteria are good things to consider, but none are dealbreakers.  Most of these options have new courses to play, great design pedigrees, good accommodations, etc.

It's really down to personal preference....the coastal resorts have the views, etc. whereas the Pinehurst/Michigan/Wisconsin trips will be all about the golf with a different aesthetic.  A few have more variety than others...Bandon and Pinehurst have more courses on site than the others, but the qualities are different...it all depends on what you want to do trip lengthwise, repeat play-wise, etc.

One thing I will mention is that if you have not played links golf, and all of you are east coast...there are Ireland or Scotland trips that will be of comparable cost to visiting the resorts you've mentioned, as all are pricey.  Some mid-range Ireland itineraries plus a flight that is equal to BOS/NYC/IAD to SFO/LAX in length might make Ireland/Scotland equally as attractive!

JHoulihan

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 01:48:09 AM »
Brad,

Thanks for the input. We are traveling from Toronto Phoenix and Chicago making no location "better" with all spread across the US. Scotland/Ireland/UK is a goal but I think getting 1-2 more US trips may make the trip overseas more enjoyable. Maybe you and others will convince me otherwise and the home.of.golf will leap to the front of the line.

Justin

Brad Tufts

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 02:00:23 AM »
Yeah I always mention Ireland because of the possibility to save money on golf while still playing great courses, so you can spend a bit more on the airfare to get there.

Scotland will likely cost the same/more as the ones you mentioned, but its harder to get to as few airlines/cities fly direct to Scotland from the US, requiring multiple connections on an itinerary you paid over $1000 for!

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 08:09:52 AM »

Here are my choices so far.
1) California = Pebble beach + Pasatiempo
2) Canada = Cabot + Highland Links
3) Florida = Streamsong
4) Michigan = Forest Dunes + others
5) North Carolina = Pinehurst + others
6) Oregon = Bandon + The Sheep Ranch
7) Wisconsin = Kohler + Sand Valley + others

Let me know why you may choose one location over another.

It seems you can't go wrong with any of the above-depending upon season-as all should be on the US bucket list
Bandon would seem the simplest-self contained and certainly a must see (Ironically the one place I've not been to ;)  )
Streamsong is certainly only a winter choice and while the golf is great, the resort and area are  kind've a deluxe Chernobyl
probably not somewhere I'd want to leave Phoenix in winter to go to

I always like to hit a local unknown gem, but that's not always everyone's cup of tea-so it depends a lot upon who you travel with
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 11:06:18 AM »
You really can't go wrong with any of your listed choices. It really depends on what time of year you want to go and what your buddies are looking for. Don't go to North Carolina in July or Wisconsin in March and you'll be fine.

One of the best buddy trips I've ever been on was a trip to Green Lake, Wisconsin. We had a few very serious golfers, and a few more casual golfers. We all paid $140/day for unlimited golf and carts at Lawsonia Links. We had the run of the place for a weekend in July, drank the clubhouse out of beer, and spent the nights having dinner at the local supper club (Norton's) and getting in trouble at the local late night establishments. Great times.

H.P.S.

Jason Topp

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 12:11:19 PM »
Cost, weather, convenience of travel, desired food and lodging experience and desired golf experience are the table stakes factors I will evaluate when putting together a trip.

I have certain preferences in these areas and my fellow travelers will all have slightly different desires.  I try to tailor the trip so it will be exciting for the group and affordable for the traveler in the worst financial position. 

I tread carefully when private golf courses are a part of the equation.  In my view, guests at a private club have a primary responsibility of making sure the host is happy he proffered the invitation.  If my group includes people who play slowly, who might irritate the host or have a tendency to ruin the day if playing poorly, I pass on private club options.  It is also quite an imposition to get four people on a private club unless you know the members pretty well. 

I tend to use my judgment on a potential trip rather than poll the group about all of these factors.  My preferred trip has a great golf course or two that we play repeatedly, one place for basic but adequate lodging rather than spending a lot of money on a nice hotel or checking in and out of different locations, a cheap nonstop commercial flight, weather that is playable rather than necessarily perfect and food and nightlife options that are adequate rather than outstanding. 

Some of my best trips have been outings announced on this website which generally involve a couple of days of an official event and some tack on days at great alternative courses at the destination.  Consider the Dixie Cup, the Midwest Mashie, the Kings Putter and the Buda Cup when they arise. 

Carl Nichols

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 04:43:29 PM »
Cost, weather, convenience of travel, desired food and lodging experience and desired golf experience are the table stakes factors I will evaluate when putting together a trip.

I have certain preferences in these areas and my fellow travelers will all have slightly different desires.  I try to tailor the trip so it will be exciting for the group and affordable for the traveler in the worst financial position. 

I tread carefully when private golf courses are a part of the equation.  In my view, guests at a private club have a primary responsibility of making sure the host is happy he proffered the invitation.  If my group includes people who play slowly, who might irritate the host or have a tendency to ruin the day if playing poorly, I pass on private club options.  It is also quite an imposition to get four people on a private club unless you know the members pretty well. 

I tend to use my judgment on a potential trip rather than poll the group about all of these factors.  My preferred trip has a great golf course or two that we play repeatedly, one place for basic but adequate lodging rather than spending a lot of money on a nice hotel or checking in and out of different locations, a cheap nonstop commercial flight, weather that is playable rather than necessarily perfect and food and nightlife options that are adequate rather than outstanding. 

Some of my best trips have been outings announced on this website which generally involve a couple of days of an official event and some tack on days at great alternative courses at the destination.  Consider the Dixie Cup, the Midwest Mashie, the Kings Putter and the Buda Cup when they arise.

This is pretty close to my thinking as well, with the further factor that I try to go to new places vs. places I've already been.  Also, the size of the group can affect how the factors should be weighed.   

Ira Fishman

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 05:13:43 PM »
One consideration:  is this a hard core golf trip i.e. play 36, shower, eat and drink, and then get up to do it again or does group want some non-golf options?  If latter, being near a town can be helpful.

But no matter what, as the organizer, do not as Jason references get hung up on trying to please everyone during the planning or on the trip.  You want to make sure you have a great time and worrying about the others interferes with that goal.

Ira

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 05:20:56 PM »
You obviously have pointed out some of the great locations in the US for a buddies trip but you should seriously consider a trip over to Ireland or Scotland.  The trip will surely not cost any more than the trips you have outlined and probably will cost less.  You can fly to Shannon and have some great courses nearby such as Ballybunion and Lahinch and meet some great people.  You could fly to Edinburgh and spend a week in St. Andrews and play some outstanding courses right there or within a reasonable drive. I hadn't gone over until two years ago and I regret having not done it sooner.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 05:52:59 PM »
I'm hardly an expert on these things, but check out aeration schedules. That's the last thing you need.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 09:37:36 PM »
I've been on six of your trips (all except Forest Dunes) and they are all great. But Ira asks the most important question: Is this a hard core golfers trip with 36 holes per day, drinks, dinner and crash? Or do you want to play 18 and explore the area?

If it is hard core golf, and your guys have not been to Bandon, the discussion is over. Go there.

If it is hard core golfit and you are playing in the winter, go to Streamsong. Discussion over.

But if you want to plan a trip of a lifetime for your buddies, do this one:

Fly into Belfast. Take a political tour of the city. Look in stunned silence at the 47 peace walls and begin to comprehend the  tragic history of this beautiful island. (Mandatory pre-trip reading of Trinity by Leon Uris.) Then play Portrush, Ardmore, Royal County Down, County Louth Portmonarch, experience Dublin, and fly home from Dublin.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 09:39:24 PM by Bill Brightly »

Jud_T

Re: Buddy trip x 4 players New
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 08:54:19 AM »
JH- I organized an annual trip for 8 guys for over a decade.  I've been on 6 of 7 of your trips.  All points above are well considered.  Bandon is the best golf resort on the planet for hard-core golfers.  But as mentioned, this is for pure golfers looking to walk 18-36+ every day and do nothing else.  Also, given the high winds you may face there in the summer, I'd personally risk a bit of colder weather and rain and look to one of the shoulder seasons next time.  Streamsong is great, but it's not the same as playing on fescue.  Pinehurst is great, and it's a great buddy trip, but if you're looking for the most intriguing courses you won't be playing all your golf at the resort proper as you will at Bandon.  Sand Valley will be wonderful, particularly if what a birdie suggested to me recently about course #3 comes to fruition, but it's early days yet.  Cabot may well be the ticket, but that's the one I can't speak to.  I would seriously consider looking at GB&I options as they are cost competitive and provide an experience you can't get here, you just have to be willing to deal with jet lag and take an extra day or two (I'd recommend at least a full week).  Good luck.  My suggestion?  Do what we did- an annual trip alternating between the most interesting (not necessarily "best") courses on either side of the Atlantic...feel free to PM me with any additional questions.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 12:10:33 PM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jason Topp

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2017, 10:28:58 AM »
Cabo is a very good destination if you have a group willing to go to Mexico.  You are guaranteed to have great weather, there are a lot of nonstop flights and the Cabo del Sol Ocean course hits the sweet spot of being exciting for hardcore architecture nerds and those that care nothing about the topic. Diamante Dunes is an incredible course and all of the others are some combination of beautiful and good. 

Tom Allen

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2017, 11:09:22 AM »
Echoing someone above, if you haven't done a buddies trip to Bandon, it should go to the top of the list.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2017, 11:24:32 AM »
I'm no buddies trip expert myself....but I would have to think Bandon would be your destination.

I still recall my first ever visit years ago when I was just driving thru and didn't have the time (or money) to play.  I pulled into the old PD parking lot with trailer clubhouse.  Gazing down 18 fairway my jaw just dropped, I had never seen anything like that before....

Keith Grande

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2017, 11:39:16 AM »
I would add Casa de Campo as another option.  Golf in 3 hours, enough time to play 2 rounds, come back to the pool, take a nap, then go for dinner at the various excellent restaurants offered.

Steve Lang

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2017, 09:48:00 AM »
 8)  WITH THOSE CHOICES YOU CAN'T GO TOO WRONG

Since this won't be your last buddies trip, I'd go to Pinehurst/Southern Pines/Aberdeen area, where you can play a different course AM & PM for week or so and then you can appreciate the other locales...

ps My buddies & I did annual spring trip for 27 years...  golf first, food and lodging second priority
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Jim Lipstate

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2017, 10:05:29 AM »
All are great options so the decision likely boils down to the intangibles. For me, Bandon has it all. Great courses, scenery and the on site dining and bar options are  fantastic. I would save Pebble for a couples trip. My nongolfer wife just loves Carmel and surrounds. Pinehurst has lots of dining options in the village but things shut down fairly early. Fairly sedate kind of experience. Very genteel but still an Irish pub to extend the evening's festivities. Streamsong now has 3 courses I describe as an inland links experience. Very good caddie program. The courses are in a self contained resort basically in the middle of nowhere. Dining was good. The very modernist bars seemed a little sterile in ambience but I haven't been to the new facilities associated with the Streamsong Black course.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 10:08:37 AM by Jim Lipstate »

jeffwarne

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2017, 11:52:43 AM »
I'm just going to say it.

Myrtle Beach-especially if you have budget minded golfers, infrequent or cart ball golfer or those inclined to a bit of nightlife.
While there are many poor courses, that doesn't matter one bit as you only need a few.
EZ cheap flights
Cheap lodging-if desired-all levels

Legend'sHeathland-Doak
True Blue-Strantz
Caledonia-Strantz
Dunes-RTJ
Pine Lakes International-Robert White -historic old school feel
Prestwick-Dye

Pretty good variety  there

I need to go back

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2017, 12:08:28 PM »
I've been on six of your trips (all except Forest Dunes) and they are all great. But Ira asks the most important question: Is this a hard core golfers trip with 36 holes per day, drinks, dinner and crash? Or do you want to play 18 and explore the area?

If it is hard core golf, and your guys have not been to Bandon, the discussion is over. Go there.

If it is hard core golfit and you are playing in the winter, go to Streamsong. Discussion over.

But if you want to plan a trip of a lifetime for your buddies, do this one:

Fly into Belfast. Take a political tour of the city. Look in stunned silence at the 47 peace walls and begin to comprehend the  tragic history of this beautiful island. (Mandatory pre-trip reading of Trinity by Leon Uris.) Then play Portrush, Ardmore, Royal County Down, County Louth Portmonarch, experience Dublin, and fly home from Dublin.

FWIW the only service from the US into Belfast is on Norwegian (low cost carrier) from Newburgh NY and, in summer, from Providence RI.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2017, 01:25:31 AM »
I have planned a few trips.

To me it is a combination of several things: golf quality, weather, cost, ease of travel and who is in the group.

I’m not a huge fan of blowing a whole day on travel. And since most of my buddy trips are in the winter, I want a place where odds of good/warm weather are good.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2017, 01:11:41 PM »

FWIW the only service from the US into Belfast is on Norwegian (low cost carrier) from Newburgh NY and, in summer, from Providence RI.

I had not realized there were no more direct flights in Belfast. There was when I went about ten years ago. But the trip I've outlined can be done flying in and out of Dublin.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back