News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

GCA Panel Discussion in San Francisco, November 1
« on: October 18, 2017, 01:15:47 PM »
Looks like Jay Blasi, Geoff Shackelford, Bo Links and Andy Johnson are the panelists:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/golf-course-architecture-panel-discussion-tickets-38928898383

Admission is free!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 01:17:29 PM by David_Tepper »

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

Re: GCA Panel Discussion in San Francisco, November 1
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 05:01:09 PM »
what's the over/under, in terms of minutes, when someone (besides me) brings up the Lake Course bunkers and tree planting?

CJames

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 10:46:23 PM »
If anyone is driving down from Marin, please let me know.  I'm recovering from rotator cuff surgery and thus unable to drive.  I would greatly welcome a lift into the city, as this looks to be a fun event similar to several other GCA discussion groups I've attended in years' past. 

Carl Rogers

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 09:12:34 AM »
Will a transcript be available?  Will re-imburse.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 12:19:10 PM »
Just a reminder about Wednesday night's panel discussion. It looks like there are still seats available (for free!).

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 04:08:34 PM »
Any reports from attendees?
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 08:08:41 PM »
Surprising turnout, at least in my opinion.  There was probably about 40-50 people in attendance.

Ran filled in for Geoff who had Game 7 plans.

Good banter about topics related to golf in general, but I wouldn't go so far as to say we got into any nitty-gritty archie stuff.  The word "template" surfaced at one point  :)

Nice to see some of the usual suspects in the Bay Area as well.  Hadn't seen Sean Tully in years!

Going off the top of my head, some of the questions by Andy Johnson of FriedEgg who was moderating revolved around the following:
- Public / Municipal golf and how to move it forward
- Outlook for golf and some desired outcomes
- Challenges ahead
- Major developments the last few years
- Favorite courses

There might have been a few more that escape me, but those are the ones that I recall more or less.

... and yes, the new bunkering on the Lake surfaced
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

DFarron

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 11:52:30 AM »
Really fun night, pretty disappointed that I drove two hours to hear Shackelford and he no showed, pretty weak. Seeing the large number of younger guys made me feel that golf has a strong future in SF.

Great vibe in the store!

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 03:10:18 PM »
I enjoyed it — actually a meatier discussion than I expected, thanks in part to Andy's focused questions. The discussion didn't stray and addressed meaningful local topics, mostly about Lincoln and Sharp Park.

I only wish we'd all worn nametags, as there were plenty of people I'd probably have enjoyed meeting but didn't know who they were! But then I wish people wore nametags every day in life in general, so...

But it was a very nice event and all of the panelists added in a really meaningful way. I learned a lot.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 05:23:23 PM »
Matt:

What did they say about Lincoln Park and Sharp Park?

Were the panelists as forthcoming about the management issues at each?  Some of the stories I've heard at Sharp Park are just mind-boggling.

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 05:29:16 PM »

I only wish we'd all worn nametags, as there were plenty of people I'd probably have enjoyed meeting but didn't know who they were! But then I wish people wore nametags every day in life in general, so...

I had the same thought, as I felt like there were many names around that I would recognize but not the face.  I usually recognized the name/internet account of people I met (including you), and vice versa. 

A good event though.  I hope there are more of such in the future.
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 07:30:11 PM »
Yes, name tags would have been a good idea. By my count there were eleven GCA-ers there, in addition to the surprise guest appearance our fearless leader.

It might would be a good idea to send an email to jason@stateapparel.com to thank him for hosting the event. Spending some money in his shop every once in a while is also a good way to thank him. ;)

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 02:53:35 PM »
Matt:

Were the panelists as forthcoming about the management issues at each?  Some of the stories I've heard at Sharp Park are just mind-boggling.

There's no new significant news regarding Sharp.

The city and the SFPGA represented by Richard and Bo go in front of the California Coastal Commission in two weeks regarding the seawall.

Ken Alperstein toured Sharp recently and provided some minor ideas on improving the visuals and estectics around the clubhouse.

Lastly, Richard met with city officials a month ago about tree pruning and we're hopeful the city will follow through on its promise to prune certain dangerous trees.

DFarron

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 05:02:01 PM »
Matt:

Interesting you would say that. As much as anyone I want to get behind the Sharp Park initiative but my last visit there left me less that thrilled.

Played 3 days before the Masters and we had a lot of rain. The fairways hadn't been mowed and it was so wet that I hit the first 7 fairways and lost all 7 drives, assumed they plugged in the mud. Unplayable casual water in every fairway and the grass was 3-5" high. I was so ticked that I quit after 9, not sure if the back drained better or not but it didn't matter.

Given the weather conditions I get some of that but 1)The course shouldn't have been open and 2)The management should have mentioned that before I showed up.

I

Ben Malach

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 06:38:05 PM »
For all of those who missed this informative discussion (myself included) here is the link:

https://soundcloud.com/user-712169977/42-state-apparel-panel-ft-bo

Always fun to hear from Jay, Andy, Bo and of course our fearless leader Ran.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 06:52:04 PM by Ben Malach »
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

John Keenan

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 09:17:06 AM »
Thanks Ben

I had planned to attend but sadly life got in the way.

John
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back