News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JStewart

Quicken/Tiger event and Detroit
« on: September 26, 2017, 10:42:42 AM »
From the Detroit News:  http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/golf/2017/09/21/quicken-pga-tour-s-time-come-detroit/105837646/

Click the link for the full story, but it seems Quicken wants to move Tiger's tournament to the Detroit area.

Detroit Golf Club long has been rumored to be in the mix for a tournament, but often was dismissed because of its lack of length — but the PGA Tour these days seems to be embracing shorter layouts, and more and more driveable par 4s, realizing they make things more exciting for fans. That course would seem to be Gilbert's strong preference, which would put the tournament within the city limits. No annual PGA Tour event ever has been held in Detroit proper. Detroit Golf Club also seemingly has the necessary infrastructure, from ample parking (fans could easily be shuttled in from the State Fairgrounds), as well as a spacious clubhouse and practice facilities.

Other courses to watch include Radrick Farms, the private University of Michigan course that once was considered a possibility to take the Buick Open if Warwick Hills ever wanted out; R&S Sharf on the campus of Oakland University in Rochester, though having a 10th tee away from the clubhouse is problematic, given the need to start golfers off tees Nos. 1 and 10 for the first two rounds; and maybe Northville’s Meadowbrook, which recently underwent renovations that have received rave reviews.

TPC Michigan, in Dearborn, long the home of the Senior Players Championship, is another option. A move there could get The Players' long-time sponsor, Ford, back into the golf business, should Gilbert and Quicken desire the partnership. And then there's Shepherd's Hollow, the picturesque masterpiece in Clarkston which once, too, was considered by Buick, and would draw fans from the Detroit and Metro markets as well as the Flint market that so loyally supported the Buick Open for 50 years.

If you're wondering, why not famed Oakland Hills in Bloomfield Township, that's simple. That's considered a "major" venue and its well-to-do membership has no desire to deal with the annual hassle of forking over its hallowed grounds for weeks at a time.

The 2017-18 PGA Tour schedule starts in October and runs through September. The National is scheduled for July 28-July 1 — but nobody knows where, for now.

Anthony_Nysse

Re: Quicken/Tiger event and Detroit
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 10:46:43 AM »
TPC seems to make the most sense. It was built to hold events and has numerous times.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 11:05:53 AM »
Agree on the TPC.  While I can't say I'm a fan of the course, putting it there would be the M.O. of the Tour.

Baffling to me that Radrick Farms would be on the list.  Staging any event there with a crowd seems completely illogical.  A few holes have barely enough room for the players, not to mention a gallery (#13 and #18 come to mind).  It tips out at 6,967 today, with a par of 72.

Sharf gets to 7,100.  Haven't played it in a while, but I think there would be ample room for gallery flow.  However, I'm not so sure Gilbert would embrace a course up in Oakland County, or any of the suburbs for that matter. 

DGC is the only notable place that checks the box of being in the city.  In some ways, putting a tournament at DGC could be similar to the commitment made to East Lake as far as improving the surrounding area.

JStewart

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 12:07:42 PM »
Haven't played DGC in a long time, but I really like the changes that were made to Country Club of Detroit. I don't know if they have the facilities to host the event, but I think the course is certainly much better than TPC.

Agree on the TPC.  While I can't say I'm a fan of the course, putting it there would be the M.O. of the Tour.

Baffling to me that Radrick Farms would be on the list.  Staging any event there with a crowd seems completely illogical.  A few holes have barely enough room for the players, not to mention a gallery (#13 and #18 come to mind).  It tips out at 6,967 today, with a par of 72.

Sharf gets to 7,100.  Haven't played it in a while, but I think there would be ample room for gallery flow.  However, I'm not so sure Gilbert would embrace a course up in Oakland County, or any of the suburbs for that matter. 

DGC is the only notable place that checks the box of being in the city.  In some ways, putting a tournament at DGC could be similar to the commitment made to East Lake as far as improving the surrounding area.

Michael Wolf

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 12:47:41 PM »
Detroit Golf might work with a composite course. Otherwise it's pretty tight for gallery flow on 7-8-9. But lots of room for infrastructure, especially if the park across the street could be used. I can't imagine CCD is an option. Meadowbrook would be great for fans, but i doubt players would embrace the new green complexes. TPC is a dumpster fire.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 01:16:22 PM »
Would Oakland Hills not do this? I thought it was kind of cool to get to see a place like Congressional more often than it would otherwise appear. Is it feasible for this event to move around a little bit?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Niall Hay

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 08:34:38 PM »

DGC is the only choice.  36 Donald Ross holes in the City of Detroit.  Beautiful old Albert Kahn clubhouse that has tons of room and faculties. The club has solid history with Alec Ross and Horton Smith as Head Pros there. Adding to the East Lake comparison, the rebirth of The First Tee chapter based across the street at Palmer Park.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 11:59:01 AM »
How far from Detroit Golf is the midnight golf program course that Tom Doak built? That would be a really cool tie in as well.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 01:33:44 PM »
How far from Detroit Golf is the midnight golf program course that Tom Doak built? That would be a really cool tie in as well.

It's three miles from door to door, but really just a mile and half down McNichols from the Midnight Golf facility at Marygrove College to the far end of Detroit Golf Club North course on the other side of the road.

Tom Fussell

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 10:48:56 PM »
I played the north course at GCD yesterday, and thought it would be awesome for Detroit to host the Quicken Loans National there.  Although it was my first time there, it appears the place never looked better, as I understand Bruce Hepner just completed a bunker renovation.

I'm sure they'd have to create a new driving range from an area on the South course, as the existing wouldn't suffice.  Also, It would be really good for the area around it, which seems to be suffering Pretty badly from the urban flight/blight (or whatever it's called).

I'd think the 2nd, 4th and 5th hole stretch might be more problematic than 7, 8 & 9 as far as gallery flow?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back