News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: 2018 BUDA, Golspie and Brora
« Reply #125 on: February 05, 2018, 01:38:10 PM »
Glad to see Brahan getting some mention.  Jon has proposed a matchplay against the course bogey at at 12 GBP per.  I thought we might try to maximize participation on the Friday before the official BUDA.

I don't know what "matchplay against the course bogey" means.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 01:53:54 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #126 on: February 05, 2018, 01:44:02 PM »

So here is a brief explanation of the format to used in the pre-BUDA event at my place, Brahan Golf Club. It will be an individual bogey matchplay against the course at a cost of £12 per player.

Bogey is an older form of par where it is based more on the actual score a player is expected to get on a hole rather than just the length. The player get will receive full handicap and takes the stroke where the SI indicates for the front nine.
Now here is where the twist comes. I describe Brahan as an 18 hole course set over a nine hole routing. The par on the 4th,5th,6th,7th&8th holes change from the front nine to the back and all nine holes play quite differently from each set of tees. This means that I can on occasion also set a bogey that is a half number for example on the second it is a par 4 from all the tees but it has a bogey score of 4.5 from the back tee. This means the 2nd will always produce a result from the back tee but the player needs to decide whether he/she can still score the same as from the front tee despite the 62 yard difference.

The bogey score for the 9 holes are as follows:

First is a bogey 4 from either tee.The second is a bogey 4 from the front but a 4.5 from the back. The third is a bogey 2.5 from the front but a 3 from the back. The fourth is a 4.5 from the front but a 5 from the back. The fifth is a bogey 3 from the front and a 3.5 from the back. The sixth is a 4.5 from the front and a 5 from the back. The seventh is a bogey 4 from the front and a 5 from the back. The Eight is a bogey 3 from the front and a 3.5 from the back and finally the ninth is a bogey 5 from the front but a 5.5 from the back.
I am sure there will be further questions about the format that I will need to clarify but trust me it is not so difficult just new. I look forward to any feed back.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 07:42:28 AM by Jon Wiggett »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #127 on: February 11, 2018, 07:43:17 AM »
Bump

Garland Bayley

« Reply #128 on: February 11, 2018, 12:52:49 PM »
I don't understand the player needs to decide part. Is the player deciding where to take his handicap strokes? Instead of using the SI?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #129 on: February 11, 2018, 01:01:12 PM »
No garland. Where shots are taken is decided by the SI. The player decides which tee to play from and so on a hole such as the 2nd whether to play against a score of 4 or 4.5

Mark Pearce

« Reply #130 on: February 11, 2018, 01:30:53 PM »
Steve,

With BUDA little more than 3 months away is now the time to collect deposits?  History suggests that you'll lose several of the 39 golfers listed on page 1 and I know that there are reserves waiting to get in.  To give them a chance to plan, you should collect deposits now so that we can work out who is properly committed.

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #131 on: February 12, 2018, 01:51:50 PM »
Mark,
Was intending to kick the ball into action last week but I was one of those felled by a failed flu vaccine, I am
now back on my feet and ready to go.  More information today or tomorrow.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #132 on: February 13, 2018, 01:27:33 AM »
Bumping to the top.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #133 on: February 13, 2018, 04:48:39 AM »

So here is a brief explanation of the format to used in the pre-BUDA event at my place, Brahan Golf Club. It will be an individual bogey matchplay against the course at a cost of £12 per player.

Bogey is an older form of par where it is based more on the actual score a player is expected to get on a hole rather than just the length. The player get will receive full handicap and takes the stroke where the SI indicates for the front nine.
Now here is where the twist comes. I describe Brahan as an 18 hole course set over a nine hole routing. The par on the 4th,5th,6th,7th&8th holes change from the front nine to the back and all nine holes play quite differently from each set of tees. This means that I can on occasion also set a bogey that is a half number for example on the second it is a par 4 from all the tees but it has a bogey score of 4.5 from the back tee. This means the 2nd will always produce a result from the back tee but the player needs to decide whether he/she can still score the same as from the front tee despite the 62 yard difference.

The bogey score for the 9 holes are as follows:

First is a bogey 4 from either tee.The second is a bogey 4 from the front but a 4.5 from the back. The third is a bogey 2.5 from the front but a 3 from the back. The fourth is a 4.5 from the front but a 5 from the back. The fifth is a bogey 3 from the front and a 3.5 from the back. The sixth is a 4.5 from the front and a 5 from the back. The seventh is a bogey 4 from the front and a 5 from the back. The Eight is a bogey 3 from the front and a 3.5 from the back and finally the ninth is a bogey 5 from the front but a 5.5 from the back.
I am sure there will be further questions about the format that I will need to clarify but trust me it is not so difficult just new. I look forward to any feed back.

Jon,
an original idea which could be fun, however I'm not sure how any bogey player should be expected to get a 2.5 on a Par 3!!!
I'll take the back Tee.

The 5.5 bogey is more realistic on the 9th

How will the score card look - will one be putting to win or lose by 1/2 a stroke.

Very intriguing

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2018, 07:42:41 AM »

John,

I assume you are referring to the front tee on the third which is a bogey 2.5. I have come to this as it is only 120 yards plus has a much easier angle to the green and so would always be chosen over the back tee at 155 if both are bogey 3s. As it is a player who wants to play safe if most likely to go from the back where a birdie is much less likely than from the front tee. A player who takes on the chance of an easier birdie chance will however need to take into account that should they fail they will lose the hole.

Back tee with a bogey 3 is a difficult birdie which would win the hole, a straight forward par which would halve the hole or a sloppy one over which would lose the hole.

From the front tee it is a very possible birdie to win the hole but also a possible par which would lose the hole.

Hope this makes it clear.

Jon

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #135 on: February 13, 2018, 04:13:51 PM »

So Colonel Bogey was pretty handy with his mashie niblick.

How does the scoring work?

Everyone plays with their handicap against Colonel Bogey from their chosen tee on a hole by hole basis and the person that beats him the most number of holes wins?

Jon Wiggett

Re: 2018 BUDA, Golspie and Brora DEPOSITS NOW BEING ACCEPTED
« Reply #136 on: February 14, 2018, 03:10:14 AM »

Correct John.

In a tie count back on the number of half bogeys taken on and in the event of this tying then a duel to the death using driving clubs ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #137 on: February 14, 2018, 06:24:45 AM »

Correct John.

In a tie count back on the number of half bogeys taken on and in the event of this tying then a duel to the death using driving clubs ;D

Now that is surprising. Since you called it match play, I assumed it would be scored like match play. An erratic golfer like me would have a distinct advantage if you only count wins, and don't deduct loses.

jeffwarne

« Reply #138 on: February 14, 2018, 08:09:26 AM »
So in theory, a player could win 5 holes and pick up(lose) on the other 15, and another player could win 4 holes and tie the other 13 and lose.
hmmmm...

Would heavily influence the 1/2 par hole decisions as wins are relevant and ties and losses not(unless a playoff)

Match play(rather than just wins) with wins minus losses would seem a better format to encourage one to take on both the RISK and reward of the interesting format.

But regardless, seems an interesting event.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Mayhugh

« Reply #139 on: February 14, 2018, 09:09:52 AM »
Steve,
Deposit in dollars or pounds?  Your post said $, but since we will eventually be paying in GBP I want to be sure.

thanks

mike_malone

« Reply #140 on: February 14, 2018, 10:37:08 AM »
John’s post got me to look at page one. I paypaled.

Check page one Pests.

I see the title has been changed. Thanks for your work, Steve.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 10:42:46 AM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

David_Tepper

« Reply #141 on: February 14, 2018, 12:06:26 PM »
Steve -

For us old-timers who still transact business by writings checks and sending them in an envelope thru the mail, please provide your address. Thanks.

DT

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #142 on: February 14, 2018, 01:11:26 PM »

Correct John.

Garland,

it is matchplay where you play against the bogey score. At the end we will compare the individual scores against each other as everyone will have played the same opponent.

Now that is surprising. Since you called it match play, I assumed it would be scored like match play. An erratic golfer like me would have a distinct advantage if you only count wins, and don't deduct loses.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #143 on: February 14, 2018, 01:15:55 PM »

So in theory, a player could win 5 holes and pick up(lose) on the other 15, and another player could win 4 holes and tie the other 13 and lose.
hmmmm...

Would heavily influence the 1/2 par hole decisions as wins are relevant and ties and losses not(unless a playoff)

Match play(rather than just wins) with wins minus losses would seem a better format to encourage one to take on both the RISK and reward of the interesting format.

But regardless, seems an interesting event.

Jeff,

it is 9 holes not 20 as you seem to be thinking (20!!! where do you get that???) You win and lose holes as in matchplay and the player who wins by the most holes whether this is plus or minus is the best player. If two tie then it will be decided by who took on the most half par holes as these are do or die.

Hope this is a little clearer   :)

Jon

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2018, 03:29:04 PM »
Hi Steve, thanks for the update to the 1st post. Do you want dollars or pounds via PayPal ?

Looking forward to 3 days up North - and likely sneaking in a cheeky warm up round at Nairn with a friend on the way up.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #145 on: February 15, 2018, 05:36:36 PM »
Nicky and I are spending the summer living and working in St Andrews rather than Deal, if anyone is visiting pre or post Buda please look us up.
Cave Nil Vino

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2018, 03:55:39 PM »

On a side note I am pleased to say that Golspie should be in good nick for the BUDA as they have appointed a new head greenkeeper. Muir formerly of Ballindalloch which sadly recently closed is going to be taking on the job. He did a very good job at Ballindalloch so I am confident he will be the right man for Golspie.

David_Tepper

« Reply #147 on: February 16, 2018, 04:00:59 PM »
Jon -

Thanks for the Golspie news. Glad to hear the club has landed a capable man. Good news for golf in the Highlands.

DT

mike_malone

« Reply #148 on: February 19, 2018, 03:27:18 PM »
I wanted to let the group know that I canceled my Golf Links Hotel reservations if someone can benefit from that.
AKA Mayday

Eric Smith

« Reply #149 on: February 21, 2018, 10:48:21 AM »
Steve,

Thank you so much for organizing! I'm looking forward to attending what will be my third BUDA and my first visit to the highlands.

I've booked a tee time for two at Dornoch on the Friday (May 25) at 7:08 AM at 160 quid per player. If anyone would like to join me, let me know, whenever. It's prepaid.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back